Bill Forster's Tarrasch Chess GUI

The Tarrasch Chess GUI

Bill Forster is a Kiwi with a FIDE Candidate's Master title, and an occasional contributor to ChessChat. His website says:

Tarrasch is an extremely easy to use free chess program for Windows. Tarrasch comes with a free database and chess engines, (including Stockfish and the demo version of Houdini), so you get everything you need to enjoy computer chess with one simple download …

Tarrasch is designed to to make it as easy as possible to perform some basic chess activities;

• Play a game against a chess engine, with either color, from any position, with a time handicap if desired.
    • Setup an arbitrary position and get the engine to analyse that position. View and play through the analysis provided by the engine.
    • Create and edit .pgn files (standard chess documents). Enter variations easily (just make moves anywhere). Enter and edit comments easily (just click anywhere and start typing). Promote and demote variations and even comments (so comments can change to moves and vice-versa – great for picking text off a website).
    • Explore chess openings and navigate easily through large chess databases.
    • Search chess databases for positions, patterns and material balances.

Last Update: 1 April 2017

Bill wanted to commemorate Tarrasch, who as he says has an unjustified reputation as a dogmatist and general ‘bad guy’ of chess.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 02-05-2017 at 01:27 AM.
    “The best part of adopting conservatism after years of leftism, by the way, is how much easier life becomes. If you’re a conservative, facts are generally all you need to establish a case or mount an argument. If you’re a leftist, however, you always have to find a way around the facts, which is why combative lefties always sound like lawyers knowingly representing a guilty client.”—Tim Blair

CC Rookie
    Thanks for posting this Capablanca fan.

Can I ask a question of you; How did you find out about Tarrasch? It has a fairly low profile on the internet. Yet somehow people find it. I see about one hundred downloads a day.

After many years of effort (sometimes intense, sometimes off and on) I now have got Tarrasch to a pretty good place, I think. It's ideal for people who prefer chess to chess computing. People who don't want to mess about with multiple downloads and options - they just want to work on their chess.

It's Windows only. I am trying to find the energy and motivation to put out Mac and Linux versions. It has been designed with the intent to make those versions. Phone versions on the other hand are a step too far. It's possible I've spent all this effort just in time for my work to be made irrelevant by the mobile phone revolution and web solutions like lichess.org :-( Oh well :-)

You're welcome, Bill (just noticed your post).

I must confess that I can't remember how I found your program. I may have been searching for something suitable, and this was just what I wanted. An added bonus was coming from a Kiwi.
    “The best part of adopting conservatism after years of leftism, by the way, is how much easier life becomes. If you’re a conservative, facts are generally all you need to establish a case or mount an argument. If you’re a leftist, however, you always have to find a way around the facts, which is why combative lefties always sound like lawyers knowingly representing a guilty client.”—Tim Blair

Thread Information