Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    I have some questions about illegal moves in the new rules

7.4.1 If a player displaces one or more pieces, he shall re-establish the correct position in his own time
    if a player overturns/displaces one or more pieces and press the clock, is it an illegal move ?
    It seems so....
    I think it depends on whether the player actually makes a legal move at the same time. If the player attempts to make a legal move, but knocks over the piece, and then presses the clock without making the move properly, then that is considered as an illegal move. But if the player makes a legal move, but accidentally knocks over or displaces some other pieces at the same time, then I don't think that is the same.

7.7.1 If a player uses two hands to make a single move (in case of castling, capturing or promotion), it shall be considered as an illegal move.
    If he move a piece with his right hand, and press the clock with his left hand, is this an illegal move?
    I guess not, since "6.2.3 A player must press his clock with the same hand with which he made his move." is a rule concerning the chess clock, not the move.
    I agree.

CC Candidate Master
    Chess Arbiters Association (UK) has come out with their interpretations of how the illegal actions/moves will work in practice: http://www.chessarbitersassociation....nt_Changes.pdf

7.7.1 & 7.7.2 Where a player uses two hands to make a single move this will be treated in the same manner as an illegal move. Two such offences by the same player will cost the game.

7.8.1 & 7.8.2 Restarting the opponent’s clock without making a move will also be treated in the same way as an illegal move.
    These situations cannot be combined. For example a player who has completed an illegal move and also used two hands to castle will not lose due to a cumulation of these to irregularities. Only repeat offences of the same type will merit a loss.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    www.dancingwater.co.nz - Major sponsor
    www.bensoninsurance.co.nz - Major sponsor

Not so sure if this topic has been discussed here before.
    What happens if for reasons such as an injury, a player is not able to record moves?
    Thanks in advance!
    Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    Not so sure if this topic has been discussed here before.
    What happens if for reasons such as an injury, a player is not able to record moves?
    Thanks in advance!
    Then an assistant may be employed to record the moves, provided they are acceptable to the arbiter:

Quote Originally Posted by FIDE Laws of Chess
    8.1.6 If a player is unable to keep score, an assistant, who must be acceptable to the arbiter, may be provided by the player to write the moves. His clock shall be adjusted by the arbiter in an equitable way. This adjustment of the clock shall not apply to a player with a disability.
    I'm not sure what should happen in cases where there isn't anyone available to assist in this way. Perhaps then the player should be allowed to play without recording the moves, but with their clock adjusted in an equitable way consistent with 8.1.6?
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hardegen View Post
    Perhaps then the player should be allowed to play without recording the moves, but with their clock adjusted in an equitable way consistent with 8.1.6?
    That is what I have done in such cases. Dock the non-scoring player five or ten minutes at the start of the game. I suppose there is a line to be drawn about the difference between a disability and a short-term injury. A permanent injury should be considered a disability.

Thanks Andrew and Kevin.

The player I am referring to is the Greek GM Papaioannou, Ioannis ELO 2636.

Due to a recent accident he has his right arm, hand and fingers in plaster while participating in both the Hellenic Cup
    as well as the Hellenic team Championship held at Rio, Patras, Greece.

He is simply in no position to record moves.

They play on digital boards so his moves are automatically recorded and broadcasted.

Additionally an international arbiter has been assigned with the duty to record moves
    which in the end of play are checked with his opponent's score sheet and signed by both the opponent
    and arbiter.

After further inquiries I found that time is taken off his clock in all games he plays while injured!
    Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    After further inquiries I found that time is taken off his clock in all games he plays while injured!
    Seems right if someone is scoring for him, so long as the deduction is only a small one. It is a temporary injury not a permanent disability. The clause "This adjustment of the clock shall not apply to a player with a disability." was put in as a result of an official request that the Laws provide recognition for the challenges faced by players with disabilities. Often even being there to play is a challenge for them, let alone accessing training opportunities available to others, so they get to be scored for without losing time off their clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Seems right if someone is scoring for him, so long as the deduction is only a small one...
    Yes, it was a ten minute deduction.

Here's GM Papaioannou (in the middle) sporting the cast during the Cup's presentation. (Next to him WGM, Stavroula Tsolakidou U14, U16 and U18 WC in three consecutive championships (she just turned 17)!

pap.PNG
    Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information