Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 52
  1. #31
    CC FIDE Master Keong Ang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBurns View Post
    According to the entry form
    Entries to all tournaments need to be submitted and paid by 1st December 2017. Late entry fees
    apply after that date. No new entries accepted from day a tournament starts.
    But there is no mention of what the late fees are and what specific time do entries have to be in by. Also the rule that no entries accepted on day means that the blitz could miss out on many entries as some people might only want to play depending on how exhausted or not after the rapid finishes.
    Late entry fee is $20, as listed in the entry form (page titled "Entry Form", page 8 of 8) that is in the page that appears after the Event Information, Rules and Regulations page you are quoting from.

    As a matter of principle, late entry fee must be charged otherwise it would be unfair to all players who had entered by the due date.
    It is assumed that players who wish to indulge in entering tournaments when the officials are busiest have no problems with paying $20 for the luxury.
    This late entry fee is understood to be for each tournament that was entered late, so it is a simple matter of adding $20 to every tournament's entry fee.

    By now $20 late entry fee practically only applies to the NZ Blitz since it is the only tournament where the day it starts has not yet arrived.

    Time entries have to be in is covered by clause in Entry Form page 8 of 8, "No Entry will be considered accepted until payment is received."
    When payment is received determines whether deadlines have been met.
    IA Keong Ang



    "The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Abraham Lincoln

  2. #32
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand in spirit
    Posts
    612

    Vive la France

    fra.png It's a French quinella for the 2018 New Zealand Open. GM Adrien Demuth has won the tournament with 8/9, a full point ahead of GM Fabien Libiszewski. Before the start of the final round, seven players were in contention to be NZ Champion. From this group emerged two players, Russell Dive and Alphaeus Ang. Six points is the magic number. Dive took control of his game with Daniel Gong on move 31 and went on to win in 53 moves. Ang established an advantage as early as move 14 against Hans Gao, winning in just 26 moves. This is Alphaeus's first New Zealand Champion title and Russell's fifth (86/87, 95/96, 98/99, 2015 and now 2018). Congratulations!

    The New Zealand Major Open was won by Australian Leon Kempen with 7.5 points, ahead of Stan Yee on 7 with three players tied for third on 6.5 points: Laurens Goormachtigh (BEL), Ryan Winter and Alan Winfield. Congratulations!
    Once a Kiwi, Always a Kiwi.

  3. #33
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    19,497
    Fine result for Dive and Ang: behind only the two French GMs and ahead of quite a strong field.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  4. #34
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Keong Ang View Post
    Late entry fee is $20, as listed in the entry form (page titled "Entry Form", page 8 of 8) that is in the page that appears after the Event Information, Rules and Regulations page you are quoting from.

    As a matter of principle, late entry fee must be charged otherwise it would be unfair to all players who had entered by the due date.
    It is assumed that players who wish to indulge in entering tournaments when the officials are busiest have no problems with paying $20 for the luxury.
    This late entry fee is understood to be for each tournament that was entered late, so it is a simple matter of adding $20 to every tournament's entry fee.

    By now $20 late entry fee practically only applies to the NZ Blitz since it is the only tournament where the day it starts has not yet arrived.

    Time entries have to be in is covered by clause in Entry Form page 8 of 8, "No Entry will be considered accepted until payment is received."
    When payment is received determines whether deadlines have been met.
    I think you are overcomplicating this Keong. For the main tournaments, a late fee is fair enough I suppose. Personally I prefer an early entry discount, but I can reluctantly and sadly accept that it amounts to the same thing. When I was treasurer at the Wellington Chess Club I know I just quietly ignored our late entry fee rules, and never collected the fees. To me it is more important to get people playing chess, and chess players often are much better at optimising their strategy and tactics on a chess board than in their real world affairs. I don't think those who entered on time are being punished "in principle" or otherwise by not collecting late fees. The reward for entering on time is the lack of stress and feeling of calm that comes from running your life in a non-chaotic manner.

    I'm really not a fan of late entry fees for Rapid and especially Blitz. Especially with an early cutoff date. I don't think this is a good idea at all. Traditionally it has been okay to make a late decision. Sure it leads to a flurry of activity before the first round, and it's a bit rough on the poor old treasurer. But I'm sure you'd be the first to point out that once you've developed some facility with it, Vega makes it very easy to add late players. To me it's more important to encourage people to play chess than to enforce rigid and unfriendly rules.

    I thought your bid for NZCF presidency was all about encouraging people to play by making it less expensive?
    Last edited by Bill Forster; 10-01-2018 at 08:44 AM.

  5. #35
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Keong Ang View Post
    Game scoresheet photo/scan can be purchased and emailed for $20 per game per player.
    Payment details (direct to account, or cheque) are the same as those listed on the entry form. Please remember to email exact details of desired game (tournament, round, board number, player).
    We may do a special discount if photo/scan of both players scoresheets in a particular game are wanted.
    I'm going to assume you are joking. Surely.

  6. #36
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    183
    I was thinking the same thing Bill. 20$ for a photo of a score-sheet?
    Where is the simple pgn?

  7. #37
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand in spirit
    Posts
    612
    The scoresheets are the property of NZCF so I don't believe that the organisers have any rights to sell these anyway. And it's not even April 1st yet.
    Once a Kiwi, Always a Kiwi.

  8. #38
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Keong Ang View Post
    Game scoresheet photo/scan can be purchased and emailed for $20 per game per player.
    Payment details (direct to account, or cheque) are the same as those listed on the entry form. Please remember to email exact details of desired game (tournament, round, board number, player).
    We may do a special discount if photo/scan of both players scoresheets in a particular game are wanted.
    This is ridiculous. Selling what you don’t even own. How is this reducing players expenses.

    The score sheets are the property of the organizers - Manawatu Knights – or at least they are according to FIDE rules.

    Do you actually know what chess players want? Number 1 after the results is the game score.

  9. #39
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by DOPmanNZ View Post
    This is ridiculous. Selling what you don’t even own. How is this reducing players expenses.

    The score sheets are the property of the organizers - Manawatu Knights – or at least they are according to FIDE rules.

    Do you actually know what chess players want? Number 1 after the results is the game score.
    It takes quite a bit of time to enter the score sheets manually. Who is going to volunteer ? I think we should be happy with the coverage we have got. I have managed to follow many games from the comfort of my home with live analysis on Chess24. Even the Rapids are covered something that was never before possible as no one kept score sheets. Just out of curiosity does anyone know if a delay is used in transmission as I have seen results posted before the the game finishes on screen.

  10. #40
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,770
    I am pretty sure that about selling score-sheets...it was a joke ...besides with all due respect to the players....I would rather buy score-sheets from Carlsen .

    RE games as intellectual property...The only player who has been seriously claiming that his games are only his and his oppontents' and trying to sell them is Sveshnikov.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  11. #41
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand in spirit
    Posts
    612

    New Zealand Rapid

    One round to go in the NZ Rapid Championship. Two of three leaders are French with Mike Steadman in the middle of the baguette. GM Fabien Libiszewski has 7 points, Steadman has 6.5 after a fortunate escape in round 8 against Ben Hague (draw) and GM Adrien Demuth has 6. There is a group of six players on 5.5 points including kiwis Anthony Ker, Ralph Hart, Mark Noble and Ben Hague. No matter what the outcome of his game against Noble, Steadman is already NZ Rapid Champion. A win or a draw will give him sole custody of the title. On the other hand, a loss means Noble will be champion and opens the door for the others on 5.5. The other three contenders all have difficult tasks though. It's Libiszewski vs Ker, GM Darryl Johansen vs Hague and Russell Dive vs Hart.
    Last edited by CivicChessMan; 11-01-2018 at 09:02 AM.
    Once a Kiwi, Always a Kiwi.

  12. #42
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand in spirit
    Posts
    612
    Mike Steadman is the NZ Rapid Champion for 2018. In the final round, he won against Mark Noble to win the title outright and finish as tournament winner together with GM Fabien Libiszewski on 7.5 points. The pendulum swung back and forth in their game and it wasn't until move 32 that Stockfish gave Steadman a decisive advantage which he converted into a win 9 moves later. This is Mike's second NZ Rapid title. His first title was 10 years ago in 2008. Congratulations!

    Final standings: Fabien Libiszewski, Mike Steadman 7.5; Adrien Demuth 7; Darryl Johansen 6.5; Russell Dive, Alphaeus Ang, Anthony Ker and Jack James 6.
    Once a Kiwi, Always a Kiwi.

  13. #43
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBurns View Post
    It takes quite a bit of time to enter the score sheets manually. Who is going to volunteer ? I think we should be happy with the coverage we have got. I have managed to follow many games from the comfort of my home with live analysis on Chess24. Even the Rapids are covered something that was never before possible as no one kept score sheets. Just out of curiosity does anyone know if a delay is used in transmission as I have seen results posted before the the game finishes on screen.
    It is definitely nice to have the live coverage, and Keong always does a good job of that. But a proper .pgn record of the whole tournament is just as important, in fact more important in my opinion. The way in which historic contests can be replayed in perfect fidelity is one of the singular charms of chess, something that elevates it above most other sports, games and hobbies. It has become normal practice to make such a record for important tournaments in New Zealand, and I'd hate to see that change, especially for Congress.

    It's true that it's a pain to actually enter the games, but it's far from prohibitive. Bruce Pollard always happily takes this task on in the tournaments he runs. Invariably there are volunteers who help out once someone takes the lead. And of course the job is that much smaller when there are a significant number of electronic boards as there are in this tournament.

  14. #44
    CC Candidate Master slyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Forster View Post
    It is definitely nice to have the live coverage, and Keong always does a good job of that. But a proper .pgn record of the whole tournament is just as important, in fact more important in my opinion. The way in which historic contests can be replayed in perfect fidelity is one of the singular charms of chess, something that elevates it above most other sports, games and hobbies. It has become normal practice to make such a record for important tournaments in New Zealand, and I'd hate to see that change, especially for Congress.

    It's true that it's a pain to actually enter the games, but it's far from prohibitive. Bruce Pollard always happily takes this task on in the tournaments he runs. Invariably there are volunteers who help out once someone takes the lead. And of course the job is that much smaller when there are a significant number of electronic boards as there are in this tournament.
    PGN availability has been hit and miss for many years across tournaments (with the possible exception of the NZ champs although I'm not sure if all recent years are available)

    There was a tournament in 2017 (Not run by Keong) where even during the tournament the scoresheets were only made available to "friends" of one of the organisers, other people were asked to pay. I don't believe the PGN has been published since.

    Perhaps it should be in tournament contracts

  15. #45
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    19,497
    Quote Originally Posted by CivicChessMan View Post
    Mike Steadman is the NZ Rapid Champion for 2018. In the final round, he won against Mark Noble to win the title outright and finish as tournament winner together with GM Fabien Libiszewski on 7.5 points. The pendulum swung back and forth in their game and it wasn't until move 32 that Stockfish gave Steadman a decisive advantage which he converted into a win 9 moves later. This is Mike's second NZ Rapid title. His first title was 10 years ago in 2008. Congratulations!

    Final standings: Fabien Libiszewski, Mike Steadman 7.5; Adrien Demuth 7; Darryl Johansen 6.5; Russell Dive, Alphaeus Ang, Anthony Ker and Jack James 6.
    Superb result for the veteran Steadman. He was even overwhelmingly winning against Libiszewski but unaccountably threw it away.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Australian Open Chess Championship 1973...
    By machomortensen in forum Australian Chess History
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27-12-2011, 04:47 AM
  2. Canterbury Open Chess Championship
    By Publicist in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 17-09-2009, 01:15 AM
  3. 2007 Victorian Open Chess Championship
    By klyall in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 15-06-2007, 01:38 PM
  4. 8th Dubai Open Chess Championship
    By Garvinator in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-05-2006, 08:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •