Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by CivicChessMan View Post
    Attachment 3582The New Zealand Major Open was won by Australian Leon Kempen with 7.5 points, ahead of Stan Yee on 7 with three players tied for third on 6.5 points: Laurens Goormachtigh (BEL), Ryan Winter and Alan Winfield. Congratulations!
    Is that the same Alan Winfield who played in Christchurch when I was there? If so, it is a great result for him. Presumably a comeback as his name has not figured in NZ tournaments for the last 10 years as far as I recall.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC FIDE Master
    It is Alan Winfield, formerly of the Civic and Wellington clubs, now of Kapiti. He reappeared on the rating list in 2015 after a hiatus of 12 years. He played in the 2015 Wellington Easter tournament.
    Once a Kiwi, Always a Kiwi.

Just a reminder that if you go to www.newzealandchess.nz you will find links to the Congress 2018 page (with results, Vega links, live game links that allow play-through of games that were live, etc etc) and also to our Recent Results page which has photos of prizewinners (and links to more photos and of course the Vega files).

Thanks to everyone who made this event a resounding success!

New Zealand Blitz Championship winners

NZ Blitz

1. GM Libiszewski, Fabien 8/9
    2= Hart, Ralph; CM Gao, Hans; IM Ker, Anthony F; GM Demuth, Adrien 6½/9

NZ title presumably shared by Hart, Gao, and Ker. I know Ker has won before, but don't know about the others.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

CC Rookie
    It is Alan Winfield, formerly of the Civic and Wellington clubs, now of Kapiti. He reappeared on the rating list in 2015 after a hiatus of 12 years. He played in the 2015 Wellington Easter tournament.
    Alan and the CivicChessMan himself would regularly make mincemeat of me back in the day (mid 80s) at the old Civic Chess Club. Every game always seemed to end in a rook ending, and contrary to Dr Tarrasch's maxim, in fact all rook endings are lost (from my perspective anyway - I still have the same problem). Alan has recently returned to NZ from the dark side (Australia). I met him in a cafe in Kapiti to talk about my chess program. "I've been using it for a while - I assumed it was written by a company in China or something" was one amusing Alan Winfield observation.

Quote Originally Posted by slyall View Post
    PGN availability has been hit and miss for many years across tournaments (with the possible exception of the NZ champs although I'm not sure if all recent years are available)

There was a tournament in 2017 (Not run by Keong) where even during the tournament the scoresheets were only made available to "friends" of one of the organisers, other people were asked to pay. I don't believe the PGN has been published since.

Perhaps it should be in tournament contracts
    I should have made the point earlier that the sad loss of Peter Stuart is going to be acutely felt in this area. He would often shoulder a lot of the work of game entry. I hope someone will step up and continue his New Zealand database curation efforts.
    Last edited by Bill Forster; 12-01-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Of course - wrong island! I played him often too. Mixed results.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC International Master Tony Dowden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heligan View Post
    Just a reminder that if you go to www.newzealandchess.nz you will find links to the Congress 2018 page (with results, Vega links, live game links that allow play-through of games that were live, etc etc) and also to our Recent Results page which has photos of prizewinners (and links to more photos and of course the Vega files).

Thanks to everyone who made this event a resounding success!
    Yes, it was a great success! Well done Mark Noble and team - it is no small feat for a small club to pull off such a high-class event.
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

Thread Information