CC FIDE Master

2017 FIDE Arbiters Seminar in Melbourne organised by Chess Victoria

2017 FIDE Arbiters Seminar in Melbourne organised by Chess Victoria

Call for Interest in the 2017 FIDE Arbiters Seminar in Melbourne to be organised by Chess Victoria

Proposed Dates: Saturday 22nd July and Sunday 23rd July 2017

Time: 8:00am 6:00pm

Venue: TBD in Melbourne.

Lecturers: IA N Y Wong, IA Peter Tsai and IA Kerry Stead

Seminar topics:
    a) Laws of Chess.
    b) Tournament Rules.
    c) System of Games, tie breaks.
    d) Regulations for the rating and the over-the-board titles.
    e) Swiss system and pairing rules.
    f) Regulations for the titles of the Arbiters.
    g) Use of the electronic clocks.
    h) Anti-cheating guidelines for Arbiters.
    i) Examination.

Please e-mail your interest in attending to Peter Tsai at chess@t-s-a-i.com

Players (and parents) are also welcome to attend to familiarise themselves with the topics mentioned above.

Peter Tsai
    email: chess@t-s-a-i.com
    Mobile: 0419324870
    Seminar Co-ordinator

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    http://www.fide.com/component/conten...a-results.html

The following succeeded in the test and they will be awarded a norm or the FIDE Arbiter title*, after the approval of the next FIDE Congress:

Name FIDE ID Federation
    Tony Davis 3205550 Australia
    Alanna Chew Lee 3215164 Australia
    Kyle Gibson 3209008 Australia
    Giles Lean 3222330 Australia
    Hans Gao 4302460 New Zealand
    M C Wijewardane 9900586 Sri Lanka

(* What they mean there is they'll be awarded the title if they have their other norms! - KB)

CC Candidate Master
    Are there any plans for a FIDE Arbiters Seminar in Sydney this year?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post

The following succeeded in the test and they will be awarded a norm or the FIDE Arbiter title*, after the approval of the next FIDE Congress:

Name FIDE ID Federation

(* What they mean there is they'll be awarded the title if they have their other norms! - KB)
    According to the Fide website, 10 people participated but only 6 passed - the test is by no means too easy!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC FIDE Master

Name FIDE ID Federation

Actually, what they mean by title is if there are Federations that cannot organise chess tournaments for whatever reason, they can get the title directly without norms. If I remember correctly, Timor-Leste had an Arbiters Seminar and the participants were awarded the title directly. Here is the link to the seminar: https://www.fide.com/component/conte...e-results.html

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    According to the Fide website, 10 people participated but only 6 passed - the test is by no means too easy!
    Indeed! Still it is surprising to see the amount of variation in pass rates from one seminar to another. I'm interested to know who writes the tests.

If they are written by the Arbiters' Commission, rather than the individual lecturers, would the same test be used for multiple seminars? Presumably it is marked by the lecturer -- are there any controls for harsh or over-generous marking?

If they are written by the individual lecturers, are there any real controls on format, and the difficulty of the questions? Who checks the solutions for errors?

Congratulations to the 6 new FAs*!
    Last edited by Andrew Hardegen; 03-08-2017 at 02:13 AM.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I've heard that the test is quite demanding, it's not just a case of paying the fee and signing the book.

Which is as it should be - a score of, say, 70% may be pretty good at school or uni, but an arbiter who gets it wrong one time in three isn't much use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    I've heard that the test is quite demanding, it's not just a case of paying the fee and signing the book.

Which is as it should be - a score of, say, 70% may be pretty good at school or uni, but an arbiter who gets it wrong one time in three isn't much use.
    Yes, the test does seem to be reasonably difficult - I have very rarely seen a case where everyone at a seminar passed it. On the other hand applicants can fail the test as many times as they like and only have to pass it once to get the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    Actually, what they mean by title is if there are Federations that cannot organise chess tournaments for whatever reason, they can get the title directly without norms. If I remember correctly, Timor-Leste had an Arbiters Seminar and the participants were awarded the title directly. Here is the link to the seminar: https://www.fide.com/component/conte...e-results.html
    That link does show 25 Timor-Leste arbiters as being " awarded the FIDE Arbiter Title, after the approval of the next FIDE Presidential Board" and indeed they were awarded the title as shown at http://arbiters.fide.com/arbiters-ti...tlesnorms.html . However Timor-Leste still has only one titled arbiter who is also their only registered arbiter (https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=31900011) so I would assume from that that none of the 25 (or their federation) have paid.

Not personally a fan of this sort of exemption.

CC FIDE Master
    That link does show 25 Timor-Leste arbiters as being " awarded the FIDE Arbiter Title, after the approval of the next FIDE Presidential Board" and indeed they were awarded the title as shown at http://arbiters.fide.com/arbiters-ti...tlesnorms.html . However Timor-Leste still has only one titled arbiter who is also their only registered arbiter (https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=31900011) so I would assume from that that none of the 25 (or their federation) have paid.

Not personally a fan of this sort of exemption.
    Correct on about the paying for the title. I know Shaun Press could have got his direct title for FA but did it the way of getting 3 or 4 norms if I am not mistaken. I remember him telling me this but Shaun can probably correct me if I have made any mistake in this.

lost

Michael the test is not easy. The fact that it's also open book and still with a 60% pass rate tells us that also. I forget how long you have to finish it, but all that time will be used and still one might not be able to finish it (I think I failed to answer 3 questions in any way when I did it).

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
    Michael the test is not easy. The fact that it's also open book and still with a 60% pass rate tells us that also. I forget how long you have to finish it, but all that time will be used and still one might not be able to finish it (I think I failed to answer 3 questions in any way when I did it).
    Lighty,

This is not entirely correct. I know for a fact that Seminar's held in Germany are not open book and they only get 2 hours to complete them. I know this as I was a lecturer in one of them. So it is up to the lecturer in these cases whether or not it is open book.

lost

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hardegen View Post
    Indeed! Still it is surprising to see the amount of variation in pass rates from one seminar to another. I'm interested to know who writes the tests.

If they are written by the Arbiters' Commission, rather than the individual lecturers, would the same test be used for multiple seminars? Presumably it is marked by the lecturer -- are there any controls for harsh or over-generous marking?

If they are written by the individual lecturers, are there any real controls on format, and the difficulty of the questions? Who checks the solutions for errors?

Congratulations to the 6 new FAs*!
    In this case, Peter Tsai & myself, as chief lecturer & assistant lecturer, were responsible for writing the exam. Peter marked all the exams.
    Peter said that he had to send a copy of the exam to the Lecturer's Commission, so presumably they would check the exam to make sure it was neither too easy or difficult.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    At school 70% is okay, but not necessarily at Uni - a GP who is wrong 30% of the time is a lot more dangerous than an arbiter with a similar mistake rate!

Thread Information