Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master
    I think the best is never to host the tournament in the smaller countries but partly compensate the expenses of their representatives instead.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    It's good to share it around different places in the Zone.
    I agree: the zone is `Oceania'. Kathryn and I wouldn't mind travelling to Sydney or Melbourne (or any other Australian city) -- we have done so numerous times and have always enjoyed ourselves. However we also like to visit new places, and if the Guam Chess Federation is prepared to fund and host a zonal there it could be a very good opportunity to visit Guam. It can only be good for chess in Guam as well.

Of course it may be possible to provide subsidies for players from smaller countries to visit Australia. However the organisers would only be able to subsidise a fraction of the travel costs, and the subsidies would only reach a handful of participants. I don't think it would be fair on players from the smaller countries, and I don't think it would help chess in the region.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishyDoggy View Post
    I'm not sure this is something Guam has over "bigger countries". From what I know, the New Zealand was extremely hospitable not to mention have beautiful scenery... I have no doubt, this will be the same for Norths in Sydney.

It's nice that the OCC is trying this to promote diversity and chess in off shore regions but with the title restrictions, the increase travel expense, I predict a much smaller field than the last two zonals.
    There is of course a difference between being hospitable & showing fantastic hospitality ...
    I'm sure the organisers in New Zealand were very hospitable, as were the previous organisers in North Sydney, but I doubt they would match the hospitality shown by those in Guam.
    Did the organisers meet foreigners at the airport? Take visitors on tours? Organise dinners for players?

Also, is a smaller field size for a zonal necessarily a bad thing? One general complaint about zonals, and in particular recent zonals, has been the number of titles given away - with a smaller field, there would be less titles given away.

CC International Master
    Why don't we run the next zonal on the South Pole. There will 1-2 people coming at most - they will be announced the winners and sent to play in the next world cup.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    The most important thing is that the tournament is able to attract the strongest players. They are the ones who will fight to represent us at the World Cup/WWCC and it would be great for our region if one day Oceania actually wins a match there other than by forfeit. Beyond that some of the players who go to Zonals to try to win titles that they wouldn't get otherwise seem to think that that is the purpose of the event. It is not; the titles are there as bait so that more players will play so that the events will be viable and the prize pools will attract the strongest players. (This is also why FIDE are reluctant to completely fix the soft titles issue.)

Running the Zonals without making a loss should be much easier now after Gary Wastell's success on behalf of the ACF in getting the Zonal fees cut at the AsianCF conference last year. Hopefully this makes it much more viable to spread the event around in different places without being too worried about field size.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 24-01-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Why don't we run the next zonal on the South Pole. There will 1-2 people coming at most - they will be announced the winners and sent to play in the next world cup.
    You haven't lived until you've won a fide rated game on every continent!
    meep meep

CC International Master
    The most important thing is that the tournament is able to attract the strongest players. They are the ones who will fight to represent us at the World Cup/WWCC and it would be great for our region if one day Oceania actually wins a match there other than by forfeit.
    With the current format for that you need somebody at least 2600+. It is pretty hard to knock out 2750 when you are 2500. When you are 2600 you are getting somebody around 2680 and you do have realistic chances.

CC Candidate Master
    Beyond that some of the players who go to Zonals to try to win titles that they wouldn't get otherwise seem to think that that is the purpose of the event. It is not; the titles are there as bait so that more players will play so that the events will be viable and the prize pools will attract the strongest players. (This is also why FIDE are reluctant to completely fix the soft titles issue.)
    Well the zonal has multiple purposes, selecting a world cup representative and awarding zonal titles to promote chess is part of it imo.

Direct titles opportunities does address the issue of lack of tournaments in the region. Hard to get your rating up and norms, in these less chess dense regions, as opposed to Europe where they have many tournaments running all the time. I do agree the past years have made the titles really soft and somewhat easy to get. But it seems, FIDE are taking measures to deal with the issue of soft titles by making the restrictions harder and harder.

Limiting numbers of titles probably made it very hard in the past. And the recent two zonals have been much much easier. It's possible this rating requirement might make this just right.

CC International Master
    The only title that is noticeably harder to get here compared to Europe is the GM title. Every other title here is comparable to Europe. Work on your game, improve your rating and the results and here we go - speaking from my own exprience.

Some of the the zonal titles are much easier than normal way and even the requirement to reach 2100 for FM is not enough IMO. I think the restriction of maximum 2 titles worked perefectly in the past. Anyway it is like a conversation between rich and poor, everybody has their own truth.
    Last edited by Vlad; 25-01-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Guam?! Where is the northern border of the Oceania zone? (In any case, isn't Guam part of USA?)
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden View Post
    Guam?! Where is the northern border of the Oceania zone? (In any case, isn't Guam part of USA?)
    It definitely is a U.S. island territory in Micronesia, in the Western Pacific. As a part of Micronesia though, it geographically belongs to Oceania.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    It definitely is a U.S. island territory in Micronesia, in the Western Pacific. As a part of Micronesia though, it geographically belongs to Oceania.
    There are a number of FIDE Federations that are not countries, e.g Faeroe Islands, Hong Kong, Scotland. I think that FIDE has legislated against any future incidences though I may be thinking of some other sport as it's not a unique circumstance.

CC Candidate Master
    wheres the 2021 zonal gonna be held ? this one is a miss for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    There are a number of FIDE Federations that are not countries, e.g Faeroe Islands, Hong Kong, Scotland. I think that FIDE has legislated against any future incidences though I may be thinking of some other sport as it's not a unique circumstance.
    Yes, I remember Faeroe (Faroe?) Islands stirring a sensation by scoring two remarkable draws vs Bulgaria at Baku.
    Also, I remember WGM (*) Arakhamia playing under the Scottish flag! Not so sure if it was in the recent Olympiad though!
    Hong Kong also participates in chess Olympiads as an independent entity.

Similar situation with FIFA with those three teams play as individual countries in World Cup qualification groups.

In tennis though Andy Murray represents Great Britain! (there's quite a few jokes about his ethnicity though like when he wins it's a British victory, and when he loses he 's only a Scott)!

(*) Is she also a GM? A friend just suggested that she is!

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    this one is a miss for me
    Never lose heart junior. You keep on doing good at school and we 'll petition your dad
    with hundreds of signed letters demanding his approval of you go and play!
    Last edited by ER; 26-01-2017 at 12:55 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishyDoggy View Post
    Well the zonal has multiple purposes, selecting a world cup representative and awarding zonal titles to promote chess is part of it imo.
    Awarding soft zonal titles to promote chess may have some value in countries where chess has very little profile. In Australia it does nothing to promote chess to the wider public and the reception in the chess community is mixed (as we've seen here.)

The issue now is with FM titles as the soft IM title problem is largely fixed. FM titles don't need norms so anyone who is 2300 strength can get an FM title by rating.

Thread Information