Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 60 of 60
  1. #46
    CC FIDE Master Lekko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I think may be a problem because many of the participants are usually juniors and given current tensions...it is unlikely parents will send their kids to such a venue...
    Perhaps another location should be considered as Guam may not exist in 2019 ...
    [Today 11:14 PM] Firegoat7: "Please be civil to young Lekkas, otherwise I am going to have to make Voodoo"
    [Today 11:16 PM] Firegoat7: furthermore u can add " I as got the dolls and I noes how ta use em"

  2. #47
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Lekko View Post
    Perhaps another location should be considered as Guam may not exist in 2019 ...
    Even Kim understands - so many soft titles should be allowed!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  3. #48
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    12,971
    All this conversation that another location should be considered because of some perceived threat is just ridiculous. If it was anywhere near based on logic, then the 2018 Winter Olympics would be not going ahead in their current location: https://www.olympic.org/pyeongchang-2018... which is South Korea

  4. #49
    CC FIDE Master Lekko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    788
    Let them deal with their sports events and us with ours. I don't feel safe travelling to Guam and I'm sure there are other players who share this sentiment.
    [Today 11:14 PM] Firegoat7: "Please be civil to young Lekkas, otherwise I am going to have to make Voodoo"
    [Today 11:16 PM] Firegoat7: furthermore u can add " I as got the dolls and I noes how ta use em"

  5. #50
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Lekko View Post
    Let them deal with their sports events and us with ours. I don't feel safe travelling to Guam and I'm sure there are other players who share this sentiment.
    When all hell does break loose, Guam will be as safe as anywhere else. Seeking soft titles will be the least of our concerns.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

  6. #51
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    48
    It's amusing how hard people are defending Guam as a playing location here. There are much better funded, more convenient (and safer) locations, but people have to push a random location in the middle of nowhere for the sake of diversity and progressivism (Oh, we need to give the little guy a chance aye) Oh look how culturally tolerant and accepting we are, lets bring people to an Island in the middle of nowhere instead of going to a well organised and reputable chess club, yay us!
    Last edited by RiverHollow; 20-09-2017 at 10:58 AM.

  7. #52
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,330
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverHollow View Post
    It's amusing how hard people are defending Guam as a playing location here. There are much better funded, more convenient (and safer) locations, but people have to push a random location in the middle of nowhere for the sake of diversity and progressivism (Oh, we need to give the little guy a chance aye) Oh look how culturally tolerant and accepting we are, lets bring people to an Island in the middle of nowhere instead of going to a well organised and reputable chess club, yay us!
    You do have a point - and its also more expensive for the participants.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  8. #53
    CC Grandmaster Elliott Renzies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,308
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverHollow View Post
    It's amusing how hard people are defending Guam as a playing location here. There are much better funded, more convenient (and safer) locations, but people have to push a random location in the middle of nowhere for the sake of diversity and progressivism (Oh, we need to give the little guy a chance aye) Oh look how culturally tolerant and accepting we are, lets bring people to an Island in the middle of nowhere instead of going to a well organised and reputable chess club, yay us!
    that's what I call making sense!!! on ya mate!
    which dad is your mum?

    Zero trollerance!


    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  9. #54
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    256
    I can understand the argument for holding it at Norths or at another large club, particularly if that is where you play your chess. I like Sydney and Melbourne very much, but I have already been to both several times and will be going to Sydney again for another tournament in January. My family and I have never been to Guam and if the Zonal were held there it would give us a perfect reason to do so.

    I think it is really up to the Oceania Chess Federation to choose the host. But I think that both Australia and New Zealand, as the leading chess-playing countries in the zone, have a duty to contribute to the development of chess in neighbouring countries.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

  10. #55
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hardegen View Post
    I can understand the argument for holding it at Norths or at another large club, particularly if that is where you play your chess. I like Sydney and Melbourne very much, but I have already been to both several times and will be going to Sydney again for another tournament in January. My family and I have never been to Guam and if the Zonal were held there it would give us a perfect reason to do so.

    I think it is really up to the Oceania Chess Federation to choose the host. But I think that both Australia and New Zealand, as the leading chess-playing countries in the zone, have a duty to contribute to the development of chess in neighbouring countries.
    A good post which sums up my view as an OCC official. I have been to Guam three times and they deserve an opportunity to host a Zonal as does Perth.

    Andrew can we get your strong WA female players to register to play correspondence chess for Australia at www.iccf.com

  11. #56
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    824
    Guam is ready to host such an event. Plus it is for the Development of chess in our region and an event like this can encourage more players to participate.

    I know that the Government of Guam is very supportive of this and are considering getting a charter flight from Cairns or Brisbane directly to Guam to help participants getting there more easier and at an affordable price.

    lost

  12. #57
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    48
    Ultimately it's up to the organisers and the Oceania chess federation, there's a lot of places like Fiji that would benefit from this too.

    But I really think it's irresponsible to put children in a place with political tension still high. It's a reflection on what's wrong with 2017, people already try to pretend their progressive and throwing common sense out the window.

  13. #58
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,330
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverHollow View Post
    Ultimately it's up to the organisers and the Oceania chess federation, there's a lot of places like Fiji that would benefit from this too.

    But I really think it's irresponsible to put children in a place with political tension still high. It's a reflection on what's wrong with 2017, people already try to pretend their progressive and throwing common sense out the window.
    Well, it is meant to be an adults' event .
    And what about Holding official Fide events in places like Saudi Arabia?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  14. #59
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    12,971
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverHollow View Post
    Ultimately it's up to the organisers and the Oceania chess federation, there's a lot of places like Fiji that would benefit from this too.
    Between Australia, NZ and Fiji, those federations have shared the hosting duties quite a bit and this event has been held enough in those locations. It is time to hold it elsewhere.

    But I really think it's irresponsible to put children in a place with political tension still high. It's a reflection on what's wrong with 2017, people already try to pretend their progressive and throwing common sense out the window.
    If you have read any of my posts from other threads, I do not think you find one inkling of me being a progressive- if you are using the term progressive to be left leaning and all that type of stuff.

    Plenty of chess events across the world are held in areas with high political tensions. If that is your standard, then there is almost nowhere in the world that could hold a chess event. Almost all countries have their security risks, far more that Australia and New Zealand.

    Well how about the latest match between Australia and Honduras, played in the murder capital of the world. By your standards, that match should not have gone ahead.

    Instead of whinging about Guam hosting the 2019 Oceania Zonal on security grounds, when I really think you just do not want to admit you just can not be bothered travelling to Guam and so want to use any excuse to try and get it moved to a move convenient location for yourself, why not ask why is Guam part of the Oceania Zone in the first place, considering its location?

    If Guam was not part of the Oceania Zone and was instead part of Asia, then this would all be a moot discussion. And then we would instead be discussing options like PNG or Solomon Islands.

  15. #60
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    12,971
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Well, it is meant to be an adults' event .
    And what about Holding official Fide events in places like Saudi Arabia?
    Its an event for all ages and there is an event for both genders. Remember Anton Smirnov was our representative after winning the 2017 Oceania Zonal.

    Fide recently held the female world championship in Iran, much to my public displeasure. Saudi Arabia would probably be the same. But the example is rather off topic, I think, as we are talking about the Oceania Zonal and the Oceania Zone, so unless you can link it back to either of those, I think it is off topic.
    Last edited by Garvinator; 18-11-2017 at 02:12 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. kwoodley

Similar Threads

  1. 2017 Oceania Zonal in Auckland
    By heligan in forum Oceania Chess
    Replies: 172
    Last Post: 27-09-2017, 03:29 PM
  2. ACF Oceania Zonal Selections
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-09-2016, 11:07 PM
  3. 2009 Oceania Zonal
    By Tony_Chow in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 347
    Last Post: 28-07-2010, 04:53 PM
  4. Oceania Zonal 2007
    By Denis_Jessop in forum Oceania Chess
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 24-05-2007, 05:54 AM
  5. Oceania Zonal starts Sun 30 Jan
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-01-2005, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •