Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    Fide recently held the female world championship in Iran, much to my public displeasure. Saudi Arabia would probably be the same. But the example is rather off topic, I think, as we are talking about the Oceania Zonal and the Oceania Zone, so unless you can link it back to either of those, I think it is off topic.
    Yes I agree. If anyone wants to have a discussion about FIDE holding events in Saudi Arabia - which I am very happy for people to discuss here - please do so on a new thread. It is off-topic for this thread and future references to it may be deleted.

CC FIDE Master
    Dear all,

Do we have any confirmation regarding Guam as the official host of the 2019 Zonal Championships?

lost

Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    Dear all,

Do we have any confirmation regarding Guam as the official host of the 2019 Zonal Championships?
    Clearly not. Even though, if it is being held in middle of 2019, it is still 18 months away. Still, people will need time to save and prepare if going to Guam. Will not be as easy as going to NZ, PNG or even Fiji.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Yes I agree. If anyone wants to have a discussion about FIDE holding events in Saudi Arabia - which I am very happy for people to discuss here - please do so on a new thread. It is off-topic for this thread and future references to it may be deleted.
    Boom, tish

CC Candidate Master
    Instead of whinging about Guam hosting the 2019 Oceania Zonal on security grounds, when I really think you just do not want to admit you just can not be bothered travelling to Guam and so want to use any excuse to try and get it moved to a move convenient location for yourself, why not ask why is Guam part of the Oceania Zone in the first place, considering its location?

If Guam was not part of the Oceania Zone and was instead part of Asia, then this would all be a moot discussion. And then we would instead be discussing options like PNG or Solomon Islands.

Pretty uncalled for to make it personal, imo, for all we know the user could be just a concerned parent.

I think the hosting location should be somewhat democratic and maybe players can ask to have a say in where they want to play - maybe we can make a new thread?

Is it already confirmed as Guam?

Also is the date of the tournament confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyDoggy View Post
    Pretty uncalled for to make it personal, imo, for all we know the user could be just a concerned parent.
    He could be but he isn't.

I think the hosting location should be somewhat democratic and maybe players can ask to have a say in where they want to play - maybe we can make a new thread?
    If players were allowed to pick tournament venues, the majority of entrants would simply pick there home country/state to reduce travel and accommodation costs.

If players don't like the venue there is no one forcing them to play.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

I have only made it 'personal', if you want to view it that way, after viewing the stream of comments on this thread and thought it was time to call out some of what I believe are the true motivations of the posters.

I believe it makes it a much more honest discussion if debaters just admit that they do not want to go to Guam because:

It is too far away and costly
    I can not be bothered travelling that far
    It should not be part of the Oceania Zone
    Insert eight other reasons that could be considered legitimate

Then any host nation can be aware of the risks associated if they decide to bid, and they know the hurdles they have to overcome and concerns they have to alleviate.

The hosting location will be democratically decided, but what you view as democratic and what chess organisations view as democratic is very different. In layman's terms, each country in the Oceania zone is represented and they will all get a vote on whether to accept the bid, from where ever a host country puts up a bid. The hosting privileges are shared around every two years and in the last 6 to 8 years have been shared between Australia, NZ and Fiji, so it is time to move away from them to another Oceania Zone Federation.

Is it already confirmed as Guam? Also is the date of the tournament confirmed?
    If any country and dates had already been confirmed, then this would have been announced. As I previously said, it is still at least 12 months away and most likely 18 months.

All this discussion about Guam is just conjecture and pie in the sky stuff. Who knows if there is any serious plans about holding at Guam. It could just all be skuttlebutt and rumours designed to get a few peoples knickers in a knot. If that was the intention, then well done, objective accomplished.

The hosting location will be democratically decided, but what you view as democratic and what chess organisations view as democratic is very different. In layman's terms, each country in the Oceania zone is represented and they will all get a vote on whether to accept the bid, from where ever a host country puts up a bid.
    I don't believe this is correct, unless there is some change or adoption of practice that I haven't been made aware of. Under FIDE Handbook D.01.02 the Zonal President is responsible for the Zonal.

http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...8&view=article

I can't recall Australia being invited to vote on any bid in the past. Under the OCC statutes the President consults with the OCC Executive Board and the Asian CF, but we are still not a member of the OCC anyway.

The nations in a Zone do however elect the Zone President.

If someone wants to make a thread with a poll they can, but I will not be doing so. Other than that I'd prefer discussion to be kept on this thread. Nothing to stop players having a say on this thread but I notice very few have done so.

The hosting privileges are shared around every two years and in the last 6 to 8 years have been shared between Australia, NZ and Fiji, so it is time to move away from them to another Oceania Zone Federation.

Sounds fair as we’ve had it mostly our way so far.

CC International Master Tony Dowden's Avatar
    If we're looking for a new island to hold the Zonal on, how about the South Island, NZ? A far as I know the NZ zonal has always been in the (smaller) North Island. Queenstown would be nice
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

Yes, Queenstown makes excellent sense.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Yes, Queenstown makes excellent sense.
    It sounds good, but accommodation is expensive and harder to get every year as more people visit - almost a victim of its own success in that sense.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    www.bensoninsurance.co.nz - Major sponsor

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden View Post
    If we're looking for a new island to hold the Zonal on, how about the South Island, NZ? A far as I know the NZ zonal has always been in the (smaller) North Island. Queenstown would be nice
    It should be noted that Melbourne has not had a zonal for a long while (since 1975 or so)
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    It should be noted that Melbourne has not had a zonal for a long while (since 1975 or so)
    That's my favourite island to be honest.
    [Today 11:14 PM] Firegoat7: "Please be civil to young Lekkas, otherwise I am going to have to make Voodoo"
    [Today 11:16 PM] Firegoat7: furthermore u can add " I as got the dolls and I noes how ta use em"

Thread Information