Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
Hi Garvinator,

Regarding the concern of whether Guam should be allowed to participate in the Oceania region or not, you might want to research about their participation in the Micronesian Games and the Pacific Games and then you can question whether some other "nations" should participate.

lost
Wikipedia states for the Micronesia Games and Pacific Games:

Competitors
Participants include four sovereign countries (the Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Nauru, and Palau), a commonwealth in political union with the United States (the Northern Mariana Islands), an organized unincorporated territory of the United States (Guam), and the four constituent States of the Federated States of Micronesia (Chuuk, Pohnpei, Kosrae and Yap, which compete separately from one another).

These ten countries, States and territories are all located within the Micronesian region of Oceania.

All participants also take part in the Pacific Games, although the Federated States of Micronesia competes as a unified country there.
So it does seem cut and dried that Guam and the other islands do 'belong' to the Oceania Zone.

For the record. I was not for or against Guam being in the Oceania Zone, I just found it a bit of an oddity. But what I objecting to was that some voices were saying that since Guam was in the Oceania Zone and the likely host of this Zonal, it is too far away and our players should not support it as it is too difficult to get too. Or similar reasons.

I felt that all Federations in the Oceania Zone have a responsibility to grow chess in the region, which means that once in a decade or so, the Zonal will be held in one of the smaller or more outer Federations.

But instead of people bleating about not wanting to go to those countries because it is supposedly too difficult and they believe the event should always be held in Australia or New Zealand, as those two Federations have the largest players, this creates a greater impost on those from the smaller nations who are expected to travel all the time for every Zonal, instead of having the opportunity to host the Zonal once every six Zonals or so.

In summary, I thought if players wanted to complain about Guam being awarded the Zonal, which since it is in the Oceania Zonal I do support and want to see it be successful, then the more obvious stance would be to ask why is Guam in the Oceania Zone when it is a US Overseas Territory and closer to Asia.

But as Wikipedia has answered with the stance of the Micronesia and Pacific Games, they are all regarded as part of the Oceania Zone.