Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I think may be a problem because many of the participants are usually juniors and given current tensions...it is unlikely parents will send their kids to such a venue...
    Perhaps another location should be considered as Guam may not exist in 2019 ...
    [Today 11:14 PM] Firegoat7: "Please be civil to young Lekkas, otherwise I am going to have to make Voodoo"
    [Today 11:16 PM] Firegoat7: furthermore u can add " I as got the dolls and I noes how ta use em"

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lekko View Post
    Perhaps another location should be considered as Guam may not exist in 2019 ...
    Even Kim understands - so many soft titles should be allowed!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

All this conversation that another location should be considered because of some perceived threat is just ridiculous. If it was anywhere near based on logic, then the 2018 Winter Olympics would be not going ahead in their current location: https://www.olympic.org/pyeongchang-2018... which is South Korea

Let them deal with their sports events and us with ours. I don't feel safe travelling to Guam and I'm sure there are other players who share this sentiment.
    [Today 11:14 PM] Firegoat7: "Please be civil to young Lekkas, otherwise I am going to have to make Voodoo"
    [Today 11:16 PM] Firegoat7: furthermore u can add " I as got the dolls and I noes how ta use em"

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lekko View Post
    Let them deal with their sports events and us with ours. I don't feel safe travelling to Guam and I'm sure there are other players who share this sentiment.
    When all hell does break loose, Guam will be as safe as anywhere else. Seeking soft titles will be the least of our concerns.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

CC Candidate Master
    It's amusing how hard people are defending Guam as a playing location here. There are much better funded, more convenient (and safer) locations, but people have to push a random location in the middle of nowhere for the sake of diversity and progressivism (Oh, we need to give the little guy a chance aye) Oh look how culturally tolerant and accepting we are, lets bring people to an Island in the middle of nowhere instead of going to a well organised and reputable chess club, yay us!
    Last edited by RiverHollow; 20-09-2017 at 10:58 AM.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverHollow View Post
    It's amusing how hard people are defending Guam as a playing location here. There are much better funded, more convenient (and safer) locations, but people have to push a random location in the middle of nowhere for the sake of diversity and progressivism (Oh, we need to give the little guy a chance aye) Oh look how culturally tolerant and accepting we are, lets bring people to an Island in the middle of nowhere instead of going to a well organised and reputable chess club, yay us!
    You do have a point - and its also more expensive for the participants.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverHollow View Post
    that's what I call making sense!!! on ya mate!
    which dad is your mum?

Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Candidate Master
    I can understand the argument for holding it at Norths or at another large club, particularly if that is where you play your chess. I like Sydney and Melbourne very much, but I have already been to both several times and will be going to Sydney again for another tournament in January. My family and I have never been to Guam and if the Zonal were held there it would give us a perfect reason to do so.

I think it is really up to the Oceania Chess Federation to choose the host. But I think that both Australia and New Zealand, as the leading chess-playing countries in the zone, have a duty to contribute to the development of chess in neighbouring countries.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hardegen View Post
    I can understand the argument for holding it at Norths or at another large club, particularly if that is where you play your chess. I like Sydney and Melbourne very much, but I have already been to both several times and will be going to Sydney again for another tournament in January. My family and I have never been to Guam and if the Zonal were held there it would give us a perfect reason to do so.

I think it is really up to the Oceania Chess Federation to choose the host. But I think that both Australia and New Zealand, as the leading chess-playing countries in the zone, have a duty to contribute to the development of chess in neighbouring countries.
    A good post which sums up my view as an OCC official. I have been to Guam three times and they deserve an opportunity to host a Zonal as does Perth.

Andrew can we get your strong WA female players to register to play correspondence chess for Australia at www.iccf.com

Thread Information