Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Looks like Guam in February 2019.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones View Post
    Looks like Guam in February 2019.
    Any confirmation?

CC Candidate Master
    It's wrong to consider all countries equal. People not countries play chess. Look at the number of active players:

Code:
    AUS 899
    NZL 201
    PLW 24
    FIJ 10
    GUM 8
    NRU 7
    PNG 5
    SOL 0
    According to this, you might think Guam deserves the right to host a Zonal once in three centuries. Well, maybe, but it's impractical due to location anyway.
    I think Guam should never host a Zonal. Instead, the host players should compensate the expenses of the rest players.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    I agree that Guam is a pain in the bottom to get to and I would probably use my money to go see my sister and family in Florida despite so desprately wanting to play in a zonal, But.....

I assume these numbers are active numbers on Fide?

Perhaps because it can be expensive to hold Fide Tournaments there are not more Fide Rated players from these countries?

According to your Methodology Fiji should never have a Zonal either, but I hear they run a decent show.

I think the Fiji Chess Association (or whatever it is called) get more than 10 players to their tournaments (strength may be a different matter).

My 2c worth.......
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent Parker View Post
    Perhaps because it can be expensive to hold Fide Tournaments there are not more Fide Rated players from these countries?

According to your Methodology Fiji should never have a Zonal either, but I hear they run a decent show.
    Yes, it was the number of active FIDE players. I don't insist on this very method, it was just an example. We can use another stats, like population size, or the number of players registered at online arenas, whatever - I expect it'll be nearly the same. Even better - ask the players what they prefer - travel to Guam, or stay at home and, as I suggested, pay for other players who would need to travel.
    I know about Fiji. It attracted three times less players than the recent Zonals in AU/NZ.
    Last edited by Bulldozer; 19-04-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Slightly off-topic (and I'll move the discussion of it if it amounts to more than a few posts) but only 5 for PNG which has a population of 8 million is a depressing statistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
    Yes, it was the number of active FIDE players. I don't insist on this very method, it was just an example. We can use another stats, like population size, or the number of players registered at online arenas, whatever - I expect it'll be nearly the same. Even better - ask the players what they prefer - travel to Guam, or stay at home and, as I suggested, pay for other players who would need to travel.
    I know about Fiji. It attracted three times less players than the recent Zonals in AU/NZ.

I think the method of sharing the zonal around is the best way to go about it. If 1 in every 3 zonals is not in a Australia or New Zealand You would think that the publicity of a tournament of that stature would attract more people to the game.

So potentually you would make the Entry fee into the tournament sky high so as to cover the costs of a few people to come to Australia? Sponsorship of chess tournaments in Australia is pretty much dead (but thats another gripe i have for another day). If another country can get sponsorship for the zonal which only attracts a few international guests then good on them.

If a person cannot get to australia/New Zealand/Guam/wherever, then so be it. you miss out. Of course the stronger players are going to want the tournament in their home city. Its where they feel most comfortable.

What would you suggest the Oceania Confederacy do to promote chess in the Oceania region if not hold the odd zonal in a non ANZ country?
    GO THE DRAGONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Slightly off-topic (and I'll move the discussion of it if it amounts to more than a few posts) but only 5 for PNG which has a population of 8 million is a depressing statistic.
    And Shaun Press is one of them. lol
    GO THE DRAGONS!

CC International Master Tony Dowden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Moreover, it appears that:

1. All five seem to be itinerant 'ex-pats' (albeit in the loose sense - as Shaun Press at least was born there and perhaps others were too).

2. All five are aged over 50 years old.

3. And all five seem to live off-shore: Shaun Press (born PNG in 1966) lives in Canberra, Helmut Marko (born Austria in 1954) lives in Tauranga NZ, Rudy Tia Jr. (born Phillipines? in 1964) now appears to live in Texas, USA (?), Rupert Jones (born [where?] in 1961) represented Botswana in 3 Olympiads before representing PNG and now lives in the UK (?) and Bruce Hesketh (born [where?] in 1939) now appears to live in Victoria, Australia(?).

Maybe someone else is interested in supplying corrections/more details?

Footnote: In 1974 my fellow Otago representative in the eight-player 'NZ Schoolboys' Final (won by GM-to-be Murray Chandler) was Roger Perry who later played for PNG in the 1984 Olympiad!
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

Thread Information