Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    One factor that has not been considered in this thread yet is ''political correctness''. Having the tournament held all over the place demonstrates ''all-inclusiveness'' - I am wondering if its a factor or not when deciding where to hold the event.
    The analogy is ...organizers offering same free entry conditions to IMs and WIMs while IM participation is likely to attract more participants while with WIM participation - the attraction factor is less transparent.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Rookie
    Back in 2017 the Oceania zonal was held in Jan and it was school holidays in Australia so the school going kids participated. It looks like those kids cannot participate again if held in Feb 2019.
    It would be good if Oceania zonal took place between middle of Dec to end of Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rook15 View Post
    Back in 2017 the Oceania zonal was held in Jan and it was school holidays in Australia so the school going kids participated. It looks like those kids cannot participate again if held in Feb 2019.
    It would be good if Oceania zonal took place between middle of Dec to end of Jan.
    I think you miss the main point of a Zonal. It is the first step towards world championship qualification and the winner of both events gets to play in the World Cup. The tournament is not designed around the needs or wishes of junior players, it is designed to find the best player in both events.

That is what the Australian Juniors and other events are for.

And when holding the Oceania Zonal in January, the players complain it clashes with the Australian Champs/Open/Juniors and the NZ Open, so they can't win for when it is held.

CC Rookie
    I think it is incorrect to assume junior players cannot qualify for the world championships/world cup. There are currently junior players (meaning under 18) who are rated higher than some participants in the Zonal and still going to high school. These players are already FM qualified or already have FM title and doing well at school.

If you have these Zonal tournaments in Feb then these kids donít have the option of choosing chess over school. Whereas adults have an option of going to Australian Championships/NZ Open or Zonal and there is a choice to make.

CC Rookie
    I just looked at 2017 Zonal winners and I guess that the first two winners on the list are under 18 at the time. Look at the list carefully and count how many under 18 are in there.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rook15 View Post
    I think it is incorrect to assume junior players cannot qualify for the world championships/world cup. There are currently junior players (meaning under 18) who are rated higher than some participants in the Zonal and still going to high school. These players are already FM qualified or already have FM title and doing well at school.

If you have these Zonal tournaments in Feb then these kids don’t have the option of choosing chess over school. Whereas adults have an option of going to Australian Championships/NZ Open or Zonal and there is a choice to make.
    Any Junior that can qualify for the world championship would be prioritising chess over school anyway, I agree with Garvinator that the scheduling/location shouldnt be based around solely on juniors.

Also even if a junior did qualify for the World Cup, there’s no guarantee that wouldn’t clash with school.
    Last edited by ThebeJohnston; 04-05-2018 at 10:43 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    will it be early or late feb

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ThebeJohnston View Post
    Any Junior that can qualify for the world championship would be prioritising chess over school anyway, I agree with Garvinator that the scheduling/location shouldnt be based around solely on juniors.

Also even if a junior did qualify for the World Cup, there’s no guarantee that wouldn’t clash with school.
    I do not think this is a correct statement in the case of Anton, who btw is the winner of 2017 zonal.

I think the fact that the competition is in Guam means that the chances of Anton's participation are very small. The additional fact that it is in February, makes the chances to be zero. Anton will be starting year 12 next year, so taking school off would be quite problematic.

Thread Information