Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

"Friend" status on Chesschat - what does it do?

Something even an admin hasn't bothered finding out!

One can send friend requests within the forum which the recipient can then accept or reject.

I just received one from a poster I don't know personally at all.

Does friend status serve any actual useful purpose or is it just a token add-on for people who cannot survive more than five seconds if they feel that they are not connected to Facebook?

(Although I post quite regularly on certain Facebook sites now I still refuse to have anything to do with the public listing of "friends").

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    AFAIK the only functionality is around profile privacy. In the profile you can set the following items

• Contact Info
    • Profile Picture
    • About Me
    • Friends
    • Recent Visitors

As visible to
    • Everyone
    • Registered Members
    • Your Contacts
    • Your Friends

A contact is closely related to a friend in that all there is in the system is a contact list. If two members are on each other's contact list then they are friends.

I have just one friend (Adamski) which was set up so long ago now I forget when. However I have all these profile settings set to Everyone and so I don't believe there is any advantage from Adamski's perspective derived in terms of access to information from my profile.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

I don't think I have ever used any of the "extra" info available in any way other than when I was seeking what NSW university he lectured at in his past life living in NSW. It is also a while since I invited anyone to be a friend on CC.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    If someone is logged on to the forum, you can click on their name and it lists their recent posts, and you have the option to "add as a friend" - this puts a plus sign against their names, but apart from what has been already mentioned above, doesn't see, to do much else.

You can even add yourself as a friend!

Edit - just playing around a bit in the profiles, and apparently you can view other people's friends too - Adamski is quite popular with 13 friends!
    Last edited by ElevatorEscapee; 16-12-2016 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Added more info.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

My friend list is empty

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee View Post
    You can even add yourself as a friend!
    There is hope yet!
    meep meep

Thanks all for the comments.

Just in case anyone happens to be wondering at any time re this extremely unimportant matter:

* I won't send friend requests to anyone.
    * I will only accept friend requests from people I either know in person or at least have had a fair amount of interaction with (and get on well with) online.

This is similar to what I do with connection requests on linkedin, having accepted a sometime employer's invitation to sign up for said spamitorium. I don't distinguish there between people I know through paid and unpaid work, but if someone I don't know at all asks to connect I ignore them.

When two posters are friends, clicking on the profile of one brings up posts by the other in the "All" feed of posts. However there is also a tab to see just the posts of the poster.

Just bumping this thread because there's been another case of someone who I don't think I know sending me a friend request.

Actually would anyone be concerned to even the slightest degree if we disabled this confusing feature?
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 04-10-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post

Actually would anyone be concerned to even the slightest degree if we disabled this confusing feature?
    lol as long as you keep the "unfriend" or "sinbin" or "pissofftroll" or whatever you might call it feature, fine with me!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

CC Grandmaster
    Just bumping this thread because there's been another case of someone who I don't think I know sending me a friend request.
    I seem to have also had a 'friend' request from the same person (since we both visited their 'homepage' on Chesschat). At least the person apparently lives in Brisbane, so there is some chance I know them.

But I don't care if you disable the feature.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)

Wouldn't bother me at all.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Not sure what this is.

I started posting silly comments on the Youtube FIDE version of the last World Cup over the last two or three nights... I now seem to have attracted two Youtube "subcribers", without me ever having posted any content whastsoever on Youtube!

I am completely baffled.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee View Post
    Not sure what this is.

I started posting silly comments on the Youtube FIDE version of the last World Cup over the last two or three nights... I now seem to have attracted two Youtube "subcribers", without me ever having posted any content whastsoever on Youtube!

I am completely baffled.
    They may think you are the Queen of Moomba
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Thread Information