Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    CC FIDE Master
    Nothing in the Constitution says it doesn't, or indeed provides any insight re the formation process for By-Laws whatsoever. (KB)
    I think the constitution says that the ACF is to function as a management committee to manage the affairs of the Federation in accordance with its By-Laws. In other words, it is bound by them until it abolishes them - which is just common sense.

Are you familiar with the Wayback Machine? KB
    This is what i get:
    No URL has been captured for this domain

when i search for this:
    http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/gra...on&a=results//

... and for similar.

Apropos of nothing in particular, although i haven't much used the wayback machine i have found the archive library a fantastic resource over the years for borrowing ebooks!

There was some discussion of proposed by-laws changes at the January 2004 meeting KB
    Does this mean there is a possibility that the decision to draft a Grand Prix by-law was made at National Conference, 2004 - or was there some other meeting in January, 2004? Thanks for clarifying that the date the by-law was made is also the date it was formally adopted (not always the case, obviously) - which either suggests that there was a council meeting on 8 April, 2004, or else that the main details and principles were already agreed earlier, or else both.
    Last edited by idledim; 28-12-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    I think the constitution says that the ACF is to function as a management committee to manage the affairs of the Federation in accordance with its By-Laws. In other words, it is bound by them until it abolishes them - which is just common sense.
    You can quote what it actually says here since it is a public document. It says:

The Council functions in the following ways:

[..]as a management committee to manage the affairs of the Federation
    in accordance with its Constitution, By-Laws and resolutions

But that doesn't say anything about the process for forming and revoking By-Laws. Nor does it say that the application of particular by-laws cannot be suspended by resolution.

This is what i get:
    No URL has been captured for this domain

when i search for this:
    http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/gra...on&a=results//

... and for similar.
    Trying a less specific URL often helps. So for instance trying http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/grandprix/ I got something where I could click a Rules tab to bring up rules for 2006: https://web.archive.org/web/20060819...ection&a=rules

Does this mean there is a possibility that the decision to draft a Grand Prix by-law was made at National Conference, 2004 - or was there some other meeting in January, 2004?
    There was a January Council meeting after the Conference and that is what I am referring to. The normal schedule is that the Conference is held in the morning and the Council (which every second year will be the newly elected Council so far as the Executive members go) meets the same evening. That is the normal way to clear the requirement of one in-person Council meeting per year.

Thanks for clarifying that the date the by-law was made is also the date it was formally adopted (not always the case, obviously) - which either suggests that there was a council meeting on 8 April, 2004, or else that the main details and principles were already agreed earlier, or else both.
    There was indeed a council meeting on 8 April 2004. A version of the proposed by-law was pre-circulated and then some amendments to it were made at the meeting prior to adoption.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    It's not strictly true to say that the GP is zero-sum. The income v prizes equation is, but if it attracts extra entries then the tournament recoups or makes a surplus (noting that the marginal cost of extra participants is negligible) so it's a positive-sum across the entire tournament scene.
    Strictly speaking there is no single game that is zero-sum. There will always be some externality positive or negative present.

CC FIDE Master
    Today, Sunday January 7, 2017, the ACF National Conference passed a motion recommending that the ACF Council pay the winners of consolation prizes in the 2017 ACF Grand Prix their prizemoney. Tonight the ACF Council accepted this recommendation from the National Conference.

If you have won a consolation prize in the 2017 ACF Grand Prix, send the consolation prize that you have won and your bank account BSB and Account Number to the ACF President, Gary Wastell : president@auschess.org.au He will arrange for your prize to be deposited into your bank account. In fact, all prize winners from the 2017 ACF Grand Prix should do this so payment can be made into your bank account.

Consolation prizes will also be paid to the 2018 winners!

We also confirmed for the avoidance of doubt for the future that the 2004 GP By-Law is rescinded. (This doesn't necessarily imply any position on whether or not this was already the case.) And the Conference budgeted for an increase in the GP prize pool to restore consolation prizes.

CC FIDE Master
    Congratulations to the ACF. I will move a motion at the TCA AGM (if not before) that Tasmania rejoin the ACF Grand Prix - whether it gets broader support is another matter, of course. Congratulations also to Andrew Hardegen, not only for winning the W.A. Award but also for his clear and polite advocacy here for a Grand Prix which all States can and should support.
    Last edited by idledim; 08-01-2018 at 08:33 AM.

CC Candidate Master
    Congratulations to the ACF. I will move a motion at the TCA AGM (if not before) that Tasmania rejoin the ACF Grand Prix - whether it gets broader support is another matter, of course. Congratulations also to Andrew Hardegen, not only for winning the W.A. Award but also for his clear and polite advocacy here for a Grand Prix which all States can and should support.
    Thank you ACF, and thank you Denis for your kind words.

I would like to applaud the efforts of Denis McMahon in arguing the case for a fairer Grand Prix, and those of Mark Stokes who moved the motion at the ACF National Conference (which I did not attend). I extend my congratulations to CAQ for their support of the ACF Grand Prix, and I encourage other states to follow their lead and encourage greater GP participation.

As a result of the changes, I am confident that WA will continue its participation in the ACF Grand Prix. I also hope that both SA and Tasmania will opt to rejoin.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StokesyRedcliff View Post
    If you have won a consolation prize in the 2017 ACF Grand Prix, send the consolation prize that you have won and your bank account BSB and Account Number to the ACF President, Gary Wastell : president@auschess.org.au He will arrange for your prize to be deposited into your bank account. In fact, all prize winners from the 2017 ACF Grand Prix should do this so payment can be made into your bank account.
    For this to happen, the winners of the consolation prizes will need to know who they are. These winners are not yet listed here or on the ACF website.

CC Candidate Master phyrexianrook's Avatar

Consolation Prize Winners

$100 Top ACT Litchfield, Frederick

$100 Top SA Tao, Trevor

$100 Top TAS Rout, Ian C

$100 Top WA Hardegen, Andrew

$100 Top Unrated Cox, Aidan (TAS)

$150 Top U1800 O'Shaughnessy, Dave (QLD)

$100 2nd U1800 Pomerenke, Zachary (QLD)

$150 Top U1400 Young, Dashiell (QLD)

$100 2nd U1400 Morris, Byron (QLD)
    Last edited by phyrexianrook; 12-01-2018 at 02:04 PM.
    HCC Vice-President, and Webmaster
    TCA Secretary, Treasurer, and Webmaster
    ACF Grand Prix Director

- Chess is war, and should be treated as such. -

Ian Little.

Resignation

I have just tendered my resignation as ACF GP Director to the ACF President with immediate effect.

I will act in this position until a new director is found, and then pass on all relevant information and documentation to ensure a smooth transition while the 2018 Grand Prix is running.

All entries into the 2018 GP will operate as normal using the online entry form on the ACF website.
    ACF Grand Prix Director

Ian Little.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by phyrexianrook View Post
    $100 Top ACT Litchfield, Frederick

$100 Top SA Tao, Trevor

$100 Top TAS Rout, Ian C

$100 Top WA Hardegen, Andrew

$150 Top U1800 O'Shaughnessy, Dave (QLD)

$100 2nd U1800 Pomerenke, Zachary (QLD)

$150 Top U1400 Young, Dashiell (QLD)

$100 2nd U1400 Morris, Byron (QLD)
    How does Cox, Aidan (TAS) win the Unrated prize?

He had a rating of 1475! on the December 2016 list.

CC International Master
    It feels like somebody who has so good attention to details should become the grandprix director.

Quote Originally Posted by phyrexianrook View Post
    Apologies, a function error reported Aidan's name in preference to another Cox who was unrated at the time.

The unrated prize winner is: Ben Harin, Amit (VIC).
    ACF Grand Prix Director

Ian Little.

CC Candidate Master
    Does anybody know whom to contact in regards to getting won prize money?

Thread Information