CC Grandmaster

Rename: Does Man-Made Global Warming Exist? (was Great Global Warming Swindle) ?

I realise that this thread was only renamed a few years ago, but I think it's time for an updated name. The reason is that there has been no recent discussion about the existence of man-made global warming - it seems that this science is settled. The discussion now is all about its consequences and what action should be taken.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I realise that this thread was only renamed a few years ago, but I think it's time for an updated name. The reason is that there has been no recent discussion about the existence of man-made global warming - it seems that this science is settled. The discussion now is all about its consequences and what action should be taken.
    I would be OK with calling is Is AGR real? And, if so, what should be done about it? (Is the abbreviation AGR sufficiently well known?)
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    I would be OK with calling is Is AGR real? And, if so, what should be done about it? (Is the abbreviation AGR sufficiently well known?)
    Don't you mean AGW? Anyway I'd probably prefer to avoid abbreviations. Note that the (was previous title) bit can be dropped if necessary to keep any possible new threat title to a reasonable size.

The previous change in the title was a matter of unanimous agreement between users of the thread at the time. I'd ideally prefer any future change be on that basis again or close to it. Of course, any moderator can change the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Don't you mean AGW? Anyway I'd probably prefer to avoid abbreviations. Note that the (was previous title) bit can be dropped if necessary to keep any possible new threat title to a reasonable size.

The previous change in the title was a matter of unanimous agreement between users of the thread at the time. I'd ideally prefer any future change be on that basis again or close to it. Of course, any moderator can change the title.
    Yes, I did mean AGW. Fair point about abbreviations. IIRC it was Patrick Byrom and I who agreed to the present title without any protest.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    Don't you mean AGW? Anyway I'd probably prefer to avoid abbreviations. Note that the (was previous title) bit can be dropped if necessary to keep any possible new threat title to a reasonable size. The previous change in the title was a matter of unanimous agreement between users of the thread at the time. I'd ideally prefer any future change be on that basis again or close to it. Of course, any moderator can change the title.
    I would be okay with "What Should be Done About Man-Made Global Warming?", with/without a reference to previous thread titles. Although the original title now references a 'documentary' that almost nobody remembers, so it should probably be dropped.

I checked the last 200 posts on this thread, which covers the previous 18 months. There were only two that directly questioned whether AGW was real (although a few others did so indirectly), and these didn't generate any extended discussion. The remaining 99% accepted that AGW was real, either implicitly or explicitly. So a title that implies AGW isn't real seems a misrepresentation of what is actually being discussed on the thread.

What about a simple: Man-made global warming: issues and debates

I think the name is fine, though IIRC I argued for a different one at the time.

If you do change it, put Climate Change in there somewhere, since GW is just a subset of the issues.
    meep meep

OK, what about Climate change: issues and debates

That works
    meep meep

I think this is a good suggestion and may implement it if there are not many strenuous objections in the next few days.

CC Grandmaster
    I think this is a good suggestion and may implement it if there are not many strenuous objections in the next few days.
    I think it should be made clear that the thread is only for a subset of discussion about climate change - nobody is going to be talking about the last ice age, for example.

So I'd suggest adding the words "Man-Made" at the beginning: "Man-Made Climate Change: Issues and Debates". After all, the current title also includes those words.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I think it should be made clear that the thread is only for a subset of discussion about climate change - nobody is going to be talking about the last ice age, for example.

So I'd suggest adding the words "Man-Made" at the beginning: "Man-Made Climate Change: Issues and Debates". After all, the current title also includes those words.
    I'm OK with that.

Title has been changed.

CC Grandmaster
    Title has been changed.
    Thanks, Kevin.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Does this mean you now have to rename this thread?
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Thread Information