Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CC Grandmaster
    What about books by chess players about their life and surroundings rather than actual chess games and chess career so chess does take part in the story..but only to a certain extent (not fiction though) - shall they be counted?
    Can think of interesting books by Bogartychuk & Pachman.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

And VK. Chess was his life!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    What about books by chess players about their life and surroundings rather than actual chess games and chess career so chess does take part in the story..but only to a certain extent (not fiction though) - shall they be counted?
    Not on this thread; it's for fiction. But I don't have a problem with them being mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    And VK. Chess was his life!
    And Yuri Averbakh.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC Rookie
    For those interested in chess novels I have posted elsewhere (in General Chess) information about my eBook now available on Amazon "Chess Novels a survey"

CC FIDE Master
    THE SHADOW OF THE MASTER by James Clegg (2005)

I finished it today. I must have bought it some years ago, maybe by Brian Jones in Sydney (?) It seems that nobody has mentioned it in this thread so far.

It's about an Australian chessplayer Sam Myles who beat several Soviet Grandmasters in a chess tournament because he is helped by the shade or the ghost of Alexander Alekhin [sic] - I have always learned that it was either Alekhine or Aljechin ...

From page 28: “There are about four or five thousand Grandmasters in the world. A good many of them, not to put too fine a point on it, are more or less “bums””. LOL ...

From page 50: "The famous English world champion, Howard Staunton" NO!

In the end of the book six of the games are given, some times with wrong moves (eg Sc3 instead of Sc6) like in the book ...

I don't know anything about the autor, but his description of some Australian Chessplayers seem to be very precise.

CC FIDE Master
    PS: Thanks, Kevin B.

Odd that on an Australian bulletin board no-one has mentioned Matthew Reilly. I read and enjoyed The Tournament in Sri Lanka last year. Exciting story set in much earlier times and featuring Queen Elizabeth I before she was Queen. A highly recommended thriller.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen View Post
    THE SHADOW OF THE MASTER by James Clegg (2005)

I finished it today. I must have bought it some years ago, maybe by Brian Jones in Sydney (?) It seems that nobody has mentioned it in this thread so far.

It's about an Australian chessplayer Sam Myles who beat several Soviet Grandmasters in a chess tournament because he is helped by the shade or the ghost of Alexander Alekhin [sic] - I have always learned that it was either Alekhine or Aljechin ...

From page 28: “There are about four or five thousand Grandmasters in the world. A good many of them, not to put too fine a point on it, are more or less “bums””. LOL ...

From page 50: "The famous English world champion, Howard Staunton" NO!

In the end of the book six of the games are given, some times with wrong moves (eg Sc3 instead of Sc6) like in the book ...

I don't know anything about the autor, but his description of some Australian Chessplayers seem to be very precise.
    Australian player beating several Soviet grandmasters: Reminds of a conversation someone was having with Naum Kagan at MCC in the early 1990s (I think only Rogers was a GM at the time - no other GMs here) and the person pointed out to Naum what a great chess nation Australia was and that there was Darry Johansen who was about to become a GM to which Naum smiled and replied '' Well, in Russia - there is Johansen in every village''
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    If you're interested in detective stories, this is a list of several which feature chess (acknowledgements to Ian Murray, who provided the original hardcopy). The main site is fairly interesting as well, although not for chess novels.

Thanks for that link, Patrick.

Thread Information