Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Gary Kasparov on this petition: Stop Women's Oppression at the World Chess Championship by Challenging FIDE's Decision:

I fully support US women's chess champion Nazi Paikidze-Barnes in her brave protest against the world chess federation (FIDE) hosting its women's world championship in Iran. Forcing women to play with mandatory hijab in a country with little regard for human rights, especially women's rights, is disgusting even for this corrupt FIDE regime. You can read and sign Ms. Paikidze's petition here, and although FIDE doesn't care what players think as long as the money comes in, it is an opportunity to draw attention to Iran's record, and FIDE's. (Much as the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games brought a spotlight to Russia's horrific anti-LGBT laws.)
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Enemy of my enemy is my friend?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    This is all that appears in the FIDE General Assembly minutes about the Tehran decision:

5.20.7. FIDE Women’s World Championship 2016.
    Mr. Makropoulos advised that Tehran was interested in bidding and recommended that
    it be awarded to Tehran should the offer be acceptable.
    The General Assembly awarded the organization of the Women’s World
    Championship to Tehran, Iran, February 2017, provided the terms of the offer are
    acceptable
    Given the volume of blow-by-blow recanting of other discussions it is interesting that the fact that concerns were raised has not been minuted.

Anyway the issue seems to have quietened down a lot with no other qualified player (to my knowledge) joining the one-player boycott.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    This is all that appears in the FIDE General Assembly minutes about the Tehran decision:

Given the volume of blow-by-blow recanting of other discussions it is interesting that the fact that concerns were raised has not been minuted.

Anyway the issue seems to have quietened down a lot with no other qualified player (to my knowledge) joining the one-player boycott.
    Would be great to see countries other than Russia, China, Iran and Turkey showing some interest in hosting such events. It would surely add to chess popularity worldwide. True, that nobody else is joining the boycott but many are going simply because they want money+ a go at the crown so they will put up with the issues and problems.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    After the initial back and forth, what I think quite a few are waiting for is to see what position Susan Polgar's committee takes on this. After claiming she had been mis-quoted and having little to no knowledge of the bid, it seems she has gone silent on the issue.

But it does look like everyone is just going to roll over to FIDE once again and the event will be held in Iran.

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    I'm guessing she won't object to it now. Imho Iran seems a lot more appealing than some Russian backwater.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    But it does look like everyone is just going to roll over to FIDE once again and the event will be held in Iran.
    Seems a little like sour grapes. If anything the complaints about the dress code seems like an over-reaction.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Also posting link to the USCF letter about the hijab issue here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...signed-claims/

It seems the USCF got given the run around!

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonid Sandler View Post
    Emil Sutovsky posted on facebook the following interesting opinion.

FIDE has brought a very serious argument for approving Iran as a venue for the Women's World Championship: NO SINGLE DELEGATE out of 156 federations present objected to that proposal. Now, that is a fact to grasp. ONE HUNDRED FIFTY SIX DELEGATES. East and West. The pillars of democracy and totalitarian regimes singing in unison. Gens una sumus. Bravo, encore!
    Do they care at all? Some of them may have been missing at that very moment, but still... Nobody saw any reason to be concerned? At least to discuss it properly?
    That's the biggest problem of the chess world - national federations are often ruled and represented by the people who don't really care or care only about their own interest. That's why we hear about more and more conflicts between the national federations and their own top players, but we seldom hear about any new ideas or bold statement coming from the federations. And in many federations, the same people are ruling for 20-30 years...Good for FIDE - it is much easier to shepherd the federations this way. Bad for players, and in a nutshell - bad for chess.
    This particular thing, let's all rejoice first without giving it a though of what might be problematic. I am all for all countries having the possibility of hosting but sadly the political situations need to be considered. The hijab I know was worn on some other tournament in the region, and it makes sense, if one is entering foreign ground with certain rules. The second point should never matter, but in government that deeply religious, who knows really. What a riddiculous shanigans mud we are all in.

CC International Master

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    She is the same person who wrote the article relating to the Nigel Short case in the Baku Olympiad. She told me that Nigel said damning things about me but I told her to publish exactly what he said and I would let the community decide.

lost

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)

FIDE needs to stamp out Armenophobic bigotry; Turkey still denies Armenian genocide

Turkey, Azerbaijan Ban Chess Champion
    by Sezen Şahin, Gatestone Institute, 30 September 2019

• The tournament that three-time Armenian chess champion, Maria Gevorgyan, was invited to attend—and from which her invitation was subsequently withdrawn—was the 2019 Sivas Buruciye Chess Open, which was held August 19-24.
    • In a letter of complaint to the Lausanne, Switzerland-based International Chess Federation (FIDE), MP Mkhitar Hayrapetyan … demanded that FIDE take action. … The investigation is still ongoing.
    • The solution to the persecution of Armenians in Turkey and Azerbaijan lies in the victory of critical thinking and human rights over dogma and political corruption in those countries.
    • For there to be a chance of this happening, however, Turkey and Azerbaijan should be governed not by dictatorships that spread hate-filled propaganda, but by people who participate in a true democracy with equal human rights for all.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Just the latest disgrace from FIDE. FIDE is supposed to be politically and religiously neutral, as GM Short points point, because they are forcing women to adopt an Islamic symbol. Shame on Zsuzsa Polgár for supporting this nonsense instead of standing with Nazi Paikidze.

Interesting that Short, wrongly accused of being a MCP not long ago thanks to people taking out of context an article about which reasonable people can disagree (see the thread Nigel Short gender-difference comments row), is defending women's rights more than Polgár who has previously done so much to promote chess among women.
    When I attended the Hakoah Club to attend a public meeting I was required to wear the skull cap. I think it was for that guy who wrote the book "The Longest Hatred".
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Thread Information