Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    'WWC STAYS IN IRAN!' : FIDE. Koneru & Harika don't mind the hijab.

Susan Polgar participates in heated exchange on FB.

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    The world chess body, FIDE, has ruled out moving next year's women's World Championship out of Iran. While the two Indian players - Koneru Humpy and Harika Dronavalli - who have qualified for the event don't mind adhering to the mandatory Islamic dress code, some of the world's top players have expressed their consternation. Tehran, the country's capital, is scheduled to host the February 2017 event.
    The suggested link doesn't seem to work so I provide a snipped copy in parts.

PART ONE

Attachment 3249

PART TWO

Attachment 3250

PART THREE

Attachment 3251
    Last edited by ER; 05-10-2016 at 08:38 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    And if FIDE organized an official event in a Southern European church that forced women to wear dresses/skirts rather than pants, that would be wrong too. In any case, don't blame me; I was going by the Australian government warning quoted by PB with approval.
    Yes and you simply misinterpreted it. Headscarfs are no more a religious symbol of Islam than dresses are a religious symbol of Christianity.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Lest We Forget!!! LOL

Attachment 3252
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Wow. Pretty sporty get up for chess players.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    David Smerdon comments:

http://www.davidsmerdon.com/?p=1878
    A very good article.

CC Grandmaster
    Her beliefs that she should not be forced to wear what is clearly religious headgear in the context of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
    But she doesn't even have to wear a headscarf, as I've pointed out. A beanie would perform the required function.

Ah, yes, a proven fundyatheopathic decontextualizer wants to debate biblical verses. Nice diversion from the issues.
    That verse illustrates that the requirement for women to cover their head is linked to culture, not religion.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    A very good article.
    Agree. But is it the headscarf or the hijab that the women will be required to wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Agree. But is it the headscarf or the hijab that the women will be required to wear?
    Not sure but the usual practice in Iran is to wear a roosari which is a type of hijab but not too obtrusive. (Compared to a burka, for example).

What happened at the last women's event held there?

Not sure but the usual practice in Iran is to wear a roosari which is a type of hijab but not too obtrusive. (Compared to a burka, for example).

What happened at the last women's event held there?
    From this article:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/protest...onship-in-iran

In previous women tournaments in Iran all participants had indeed been asked to wear a hijab, irrespective of their religion or country.

Female grandmasters at the Grand Prix tournament in Tehran.

In February 2016 the Iranian Chess Federation was host of a Grand Prix tournament and all participants, including the non-Muslim, were asked to conform to the customs of the country and to wear a headscarf in public - and thus during the rounds. The participants complied to this wish and after the tournament praised the hospitality of the organisers and the good playing conditions. However, comments about reports of this tournament often criticised this religiously motivated dress regulations.
    The quoted section does not say, and I can not find out what would have happened if a female attempted to play in the event and refused to wear the hijab.

And the same question has still not been answered for the Women's World Championship?

Also, - Close contact between unmarried men and women (especially non-Muslims and Muslims) is prohibited and de facto relationships are illegal. The penalties for breaching these laws are severe.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I'm now extremely confident that the Iranian delegate said "They can just wear a scarf". Even allowing that his English was inexact, any requirement beyond that they wear a headscarf of some sort would be a violation of an implicit condition of granting the bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator
    The quoted section does not say, and I can not find out what would have happened if a female attempted to play in the event and refused to wear the hijab.
    Humpy Koneru has said that her headscarf briefly came loose during the Grand Prix and immediately arbiters came over and ensured it was fixed. I assume it would have been the same as any other tournament with special conditions - if you persistently refuse to abide by the conditions you get evicted from the tournament.

However had a GP entrant had strong issues with it in advance, they probably had flexibility to have her play in the other GP events and not that one.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    A very good article.
    I thought so too, in post #54, even though I still agree with Nazi (naZEE) Paikidze and Nigel Short. Since I posted that, Smurf had an edit on the top:

EDIT: Nigel Short responded with an addendum that “the Iran bid was not mentioned in the FIDE General Assembly Agenda. It was sprung on Delegates as a surprise.” This procedural anomaly is worth mentioning in light of my shielding FIDE from blame in the text below.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    That verse illustrates that the requirement for women to cover their head is linked to culture, not religion.
    But according to the ChessBase article Garvinator posted above:

However, comments about reports of this tournament often criticised this religiously motivated dress regulations [sic].
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    But according to the ChessBase article Garvinator posted :
    However, comments about reports of this tournament often criticised this religiously motivated dress regulations [sic].
    Even if they are religiously motivated, that doesn't make the item that satisfies the regulations a religious symbol. As I pointed out, eating fish fingers on Fridays is religiously motivated, but that doesn't make the fish finger a religious symbol. If a contestant doesn't like the headscarf, she can wear a beanie - I hope you're not suggesting that is a religious symbol or represents Iranian oppression of women.

another "sound" anti-hijab statement as put by the chemist lady earlier this evening.

Get a life mate... I wouldn't spoil a $75 perm to wear that silly thing!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information