CC Rookie

Electronic Chess set

HI,

Hi I知 going abroad for a long stay in a very distant community to do some conservation. It痴 a cool job but there is not gonna be a lot to do in the evenings. Internet is patchy at best and there is no TV, or radio. The place is stunning though, so I知 sure I値l have a great time regardless.

I am looking for alternative ways to stay entertained. I知 gonna take a fully loaded Kindle and loads of films. I知 also going to take a chess set. Now I have no idea whether there are any strong chess players there, so I 僧 going to take an electronic set with me. They池e not as popular these days due to the rise of internet chess and chess apps, but an electronic set would be perfect for me.

I found what looks to be a good one - the Novag Star Aquamarine

Novag Star Aquamarine.jpg

Has anyone got any experience of this set? How good is it? I知 a reasonably competant player got to over 1800 on ELO. Alternatively can anyone suggest any other set? It should be well made as I知 going to be roughing it for a while.

Thanks for any help

It should be ok to play. I have an earlier Novag model and it still beats me most of the time. If this is TW, very interesting you making this trip. Best wishes for it.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Club Liaison Officer for NSWCA. See www.nswca.org.au for the latest NSWCA news.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

I had one exactly like yours, but I gave it to a friend some years ago.

It's a good computer! However, I had problems with its size and colour of squares and pieces.

Then I used a tournament size board and pieces and played the moves from the computer. It was great.

Even at 1800+ it will give you a good game.

I never managed to beat it but I am only a patzer strength player.

Enjoy your conservation work!
    Last edited by Elliott Renzies; 22-09-2016 at 01:43 AM.
    Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    I've never played against a Novag - however, my Scyys Kasparov Companion III computer, which I bought in 1988, still gives me a strong lightning game.

I would also suggest you take a decent chess book (eg a collection of games from famous players) and go through one game per evening... you may find that your competitive strength climbs through the roof when you return, without you even realising! :-)
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fischerman View Post
    HI,

Hi I’m going abroad for a long stay in a very distant community to do some conservation. It’s a cool job but there is not gonna be a lot to do in the evenings. Internet is patchy at best and there is no TV, or radio. The place is stunning though, so I’m sure I’ll have a great time regardless.

I am looking for alternative ways to stay entertained. I’m gonna take a fully loaded Kindle and loads of films. I’m also going to take a chess set. Now I have no idea whether there are any strong chess players there, so I ‘m going to take an electronic set with me. They’re not as popular these days due to the rise of internet chess and chess apps, but an electronic set would be perfect for me.

I found what looks to be a good chess set for sale - the Novag Star Aquamarine

Novag Star Aquamarine.jpg

Has anyone got any experience of this set? How good is it? I’m a reasonably competant player – got to over 1800 on ELO. Alternatively can anyone suggest any other set? It should be well made as I’m going to be roughing it for a while.

Thanks for any help
    Thanks for the feedback on this! Very helpful.

Thread Information