CC Rookie

Chess Tactics (for IOS)

There's an app for IOS called Chess Tactics - Free Strategy Trainer by Lockwood Productions.

Basically, the app lets you create tactics for other people to solve, and you solve other people's tactics.

Each tactic gets a rating, and you get a rating too. If you solve a tactic then your rating goes up and the tactic's rating goes down.
    Next you get paired with a different tactic of your rating level.

Here is one that I posted, it is rated 2642 as of 16/9/16

White to draw.png

White to move and draw

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Bjelobrk View Post
    There's an app for IOS called Chess Tactics - Free Strategy Trainer by Lockwood Productions.

Basically, the app lets you create tactics for other people to solve, and you solve other people's tactics.

Each tactic gets a rating, and you get a rating too. If you solve a tactic then your rating goes up and the tactic's rating goes down.
    Next you get paired with a different tactic of your rating level.

Here is one that I posted, it is rated 2642 as of 16/9/16

White to draw.png

White to move and draw
    This looks like an endgame rather than a tactic.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Rookie
    This position arose in one of my blitz games, which I lost. In the game, I swapped the g-pawn for the f-pawn but couldn't stop the b-pawn from queening.

Afterwards, when I analysed with an engine, it showed that the only way to draw is to play Bc6! and immediately sacrifice that bishop for the b-pawn.

for example 1.Bc6 Kc5 2.Bxb5 Kxb5 3.Kg5 Bc4 4.Kf6 Kc6 5.g5 Kd7 6.g6 fxg6 7.Kxg6 =

This position arose in one of my blitz games, which I lost. In the game, I swapped the g-pawn for the f-pawn but couldn't stop the b-pawn from queening.

Afterwards, when I analysed with an engine, it showed that the only way to draw is to play Bc6! and immediately sacrifice that bishop for the b-pawn.

for example 1.Bc6 Kc5 2.Bxb5 Kxb5 3.Kg5 Bc4 4.Kf6 Kc6 5.g5 Kd7 6.g6 fxg6 7.Kxg6 =
    I commend you for the example, a very nice "study" occurred from your game. However I don't agree with the sentence "the only way to draw is to play Bc6! and immediately sacrifice that bishop for the b-pawn". The above line with 1...Kc5 leads to a draw as described. That doesn't mean White must sacrifice his bishop on the b-pawn very soon. It depends. We can actually put the the question to the test with

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Jesper Norgaard; 18-09-2016 at 01:59 AM.
    Chess well played is imagination, calculation, observation, experience and memorization in order of importance.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    This looks like an endgame rather than a tactic.
    An endgame *is* a tactic if there is only one move that saves a draw. An instructive tactic in this case.
    Chess well played is imagination, calculation, observation, experience and memorization in order of importance.

I use the Lockwood app to do a few tactics throughout the day.

Just had a 15 move Lucena sequence, so there's a few endgames in there.

CC Rookie
    Your line looks good Jesper.
    White has to play 1.Bc6 and if black spends time to get his B to g6, then white has time to play Be8 and Kf6 and win the f7 pawn.

Your line looks good Jesper.
    White has to play 1.Bc6 and if black spends time to get his B to g6, then white has time to play Be8 and Kf6 and win the f7 pawn.
    Quite an impressive study! I started out with 1.Bd3 which is no good because of 1...Bc4. Having the study reach 2642 means most solvers fail trying, is that right? What is the rating record for a "tactic" (a problem position) in this database?

CC Rookie
    The highest rated tactic in the chess tactics app is rated 3273.
    Its a mate in 8 in a complicated middle-game.

I've got 9 tactics in there, and the bishop endgame is the highest rated of those.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper Norgaard View Post
    An endgame *is* a tactic if there is only one move that saves a draw. An instructive tactic in this case.
    Really? White has Q on b2 and K on b1. Black has K on g8 and pawn on h2. Black plays the only move that saves the draw 1....h1=Q+. Is that a tactic?
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    Really? White has Q on b2 and K on b1. Black has K on g8 and pawn on h2. Black plays the only move that saves the draw 1....h1=Q+. Is that a tactic?
    No you're right, that doesn't "work" as a tactic, since the solution is as plain as daylight. To become a worthwhile challenge, some sensible alternative moves must exist, before we can call it a tactic. This is still not enough, which the following position should demonstrate:

PGN Viewer

It is quite trivial to find the solution, and it doesn't feel like a tactic.

I think it is not a tactic if it can't obtain more than 1000 in rating. However that is the most dissatisfying definition under the sun. Perhaps I should give up on trying to define a tactic, and be content with my "feel" of what a tactic is. No chess game has ever been won by defining chess terms, only by finding good chess moves.

Here is a problem by Edward Lasker that many strong players recognize as quite difficult, but which has no tactic at all, just maneuvering:

White to move and win

PGN Viewer

Thread Information