Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Laws of Chess draft changes 2017

Draft changes have been released here:

http://www.fide.com/images/stories/N...7_-_draft6.pdf

If posters have any comments please post them here.

Most of the proposed changes are minor. The most significant proposed changes in my view are:

6.3.1 I am not sure what the intention of this change is but it appears to make it compulsory to have both a base time and an increment, or if this isn't the intention it could be misinterpreted as such.

6.7.1 The change makes zero tolerance the standard for late arrival to the board unless the rules of the competition specify otherwise, which is not a bad change by itself because it eliminates the problem of the competition rules failing to specify the default time. However the change also removes the arbiter's discretion to reprieve a player from a forfeit for late arrival (unless the rules of the competition grant the arbiter that discretion)

7.2.a This removes "If during a game it is found that the initial position of the pieces was incorrect, the game shall be cancelled and a new game shall be played." I can understand that in a tournament with strict time limits it might be desirable to have flexibility to not replay the game, but I think removing the rule leaves the situation unregulated and is a recipe for chaos.

7.5.1 An illegal move would now only be corrected if found within 10 moves. (ditto 7.6.1 for misplaced pieces)

7.5.4 This gives the arbiter the discretion to not give two minutes to a player whose opponent makes an illegal move. Often the players are happy to rectify the situation themselves and play on.

7.7 This creates an automatic 2-minute penalty for using both hands to perform a move. Could be annoying to implement at lower levels.

7.8 This makes pressing the clock without moving the same as an illegal move (except if the opponent has knocked pieces over).

9.6.1 A draw occurs if the same position repeats five times even without a claim. Under the first version of the five-times rule a player could avoid draws (unless the opponent claimed) by, for instance, checking in a triangle so the repetitions weren't consecutive.

10.2 This eliminates results like 1-0.5.

I note also this from the Minutes of the last Rules meeting "Removing mechanical clocks from the FIDE Laws of Chess is expected in 2021. This matter will be discussed with the TEC and other commissions. To be continued in Baku."

5.2.3 The game is drawn upon agreement between the two players during the game, provided both players have made at least one move. This immediately ends the game.

So no 1.e4 ½-½ anymore?

9.6.1 the same position has appeared, as in 9.2.2 at least five times.

So the position just has to repeat four times before the arbiter can declare the game drawn.

9.7 The game is drawn when a position is reached from which a checkmate cannot occur by any possible series of legal moves. This immediately ends the game, provided that the move producing this position was in accordance with Article 3 and Articles 4.2 – 4.7.

Why get rid of this? At least there is still no possibility of a player getting a full point from an opponent's flagfall or forfeit if he cannot checkmate the opponent’s king by any possible series of legal moves.
    “Conservatives these days are more geared to facts than emotions, and as individuals they seem to have a more ethical, perhaps sports-based sense of fair play.” — Camille Paglia
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    5.2.3 The game is drawn upon agreement between the two players during the game, provided both players have made at least one move. This immediately ends the game.

So no 1.e4 ½-½ anymore?
    Correct. This brings the Laws in line with the rating regulations, thus eliminating a situation in which 1.e4 1/2-1/2 was a valid game under the Laws but wasn't rateable.

9.7 The game is drawn when a position is reached from which a checkmate cannot occur by any possible series of legal moves. This immediately ends the game, provided that the move producing this position was in accordance with Article 3 and Articles 4.2 – 4.7.

Why get rid of this? At least there is still no possibility of a player getting a full point from an opponent's flagfall or forfeit if he cannot checkmate the opponent’s king by any possible series of legal moves.
    It is redundant as it is covered in 5.2.2 - the content is being moved rather than eliminated.

CC FIDE Master
    The exception in Article 7.8 is interesting - I have always thought that hitting back the clock is not acceptable (or at the very least not good practice) when your opponent has knocked pieces over, you should stop the clock and call the arbiter. This is especially true in games with increments, and in Blitz where it often creates a mess.

Article 11.11 and 11.12 on the players being required to reconstruct the game is also interesting - I've always preferred to do it the other way round (reconstructed by the arbiter(s) with the players' assistance only if required). I reach a decision, then show the players the relevant positions/moves if it's still disputed.

12.9.8 on exclulsion from one or more rounds as a penalty is something that I've already seen put in practice in NSW tournaments - often as punishment for not turning up to a game (for non-first offenders). The thinking being that if they waste someone's time by failing to turn up, they get their time wasted by having to wait through the following round!

A2 on being allowed to ask for a scoresheet and claim based on it is a good idea which will ensure 50 move rule claims can be judged without the arbiter having to stay at the board and count.

A4.3 on a player no longer having to stop the clock to claim a win on time is an odd change. How do you claim a win on time now? I've used the 'must stop the clock and have time remaining' rule to say that shouting the word 'flag' as your clock ticks over to zero is not a valid claim. I prefer the rule that the player must stop the clock.

I still think 3.10 should reference Article 1 for completeness. The definition of illegal move as it stands at the moment does not cover cases where e.g. a player makes two moves in a row.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David Webster View Post
    A4.3 on a player no longer having to stop the clock to claim a win on time is an odd change. How do you claim a win on time now? I've used the 'must stop the clock and have time remaining' rule to say that shouting the word 'flag' as your clock ticks over to zero is not a valid claim. I prefer the rule that the player must stop the clock.
    It synchronizes the Laws of Chess with the Equipment Standards

In case of accumulative or delay timing systems, the clock should not add any additional time if a player passed the last time control.

FIDE endorsed Chess clocks freeze on both sides as soon as a flag has fallen in rapid and blitz. The requirement that there is time left on the claimant's clock has become a trivial requirement that will always be satisfied because the time of the claimant has stopped when the flag fell.

Thread Information