Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 146
  1. #91
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    It isn't a personal attack at all.

    It was simply expressing an expectation on behalf of those interstate who have an interest (parents, friends and players) that results should be posted on the website in a timely manner for an Australian Title tournament.

    Given the responses I have received on here, I don't expect any parents etc would stick there head up asking the same question.

    No need.
    I've made my point and the responses received make it obvious what to expect.
    I think the "debate" has got quite heated. Understand both sides' point of view. No doubt the organisers have done, and continue to do a fine job.
    It's fair to also say that there is room for improvement and Andrew & Co would be the first to admit that.

  2. #92
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    94
    Enough with the theatrics and more about the kids! Yizhen Diao had a great result today in the U12 on board 1. He defeated top seed Marco Le Lun Zheng (773 rating point difference). I sat next to Marco in a few games of the 2017 Aus Open. He is no push over and I'd say he's underrated if anything. He made easy work of WIM Alexandra Jule. I just assumed he was 12+ years old...but definitely not 9 years old holding a 1753 rating. There's some incredible talent coming through in these events!

  3. #93
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    685
    https://sites.google.com/site/ajcc2016/bulletins

    Problem Solving and Lightning results now up. We will post information on website as I get a chance.
    Last edited by Afitz; 19-01-2017 at 02:12 PM.

  4. #94
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    It isn't a personal attack at all.

    It was simply expressing an expectation on behalf of those interstate who have an interest (parents, friends and players) that results should be posted on the website in a timely manner for an Australian Title tournament.
    I'm with you on this Bill. I have what I consider to be a reasonable expectation that major Australian tournaments will have live games broadcast so people like me can follow them from home. When there is no broadcast or an inadequate broadcast and I complain then the people concerned often seem take it personally, which is a pity.
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

  5. #95
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    I'm with you on this Bill. I have what I consider to be a reasonable expectation that major Australian tournaments will have live games broadcast so people like me can follow them from home. When there is no broadcast or an inadequate broadcast and I complain then the people concerned often seem take it personally, which is a pity.
    Luckily there's no need for me to take it personally this time Jammo as the broadcast is working fine. Thanks for getting involved though, since if u didn't post we might forget that you exist! That's something you're working hard to make sure we can't do!
    Last edited by Altecman; 19-01-2017 at 03:42 PM.

  6. #96
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Altecman View Post
    Luckily there's no need for me to take it personally this time Jammo as the broadcast is working fine. Thanks for getting involved though, since if u didn't post we might forget that you exist! That's something you're working hard to make sure we can't do!
    See what I mean....
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

  7. #97
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    See what I mean....
    Mate, I literally said nothing on this forum other than updates on broadcasting. You intentionally tried to get a rise out of me. Its quite interesting, given your choice of career and that you exclusively work with and try to teach children that you'd engage in this type of behavior.

    The hypocrisy is quite baffling, unless you condone your students trying to get a rise out of other children. I'm sure if they have your defense of "its his fault because he took it personally" everything will work out.
    Last edited by Altecman; 19-01-2017 at 03:56 PM.

  8. #98
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Altecman View Post
    Mate, I literally said nothing on this forum other than updates on broadcasting. You intentionally tried to get a rise out of me. Its quite interesting, given your choice of career and that you exclusively work with and try to teach children that you'd engage in this type of behavior.

    The hypocrisy is quite baffling, unless you condone your students trying to get a rise out of other children. I'm sure if they have your defense of "its his fault because he took it personally" everything will work out.
    I'm struggling to follow your logic Altecman, if there is any. Let me spell it out for you. I think major chess tournaments should have a working live games broadcast. If they don't or something goes wrong then I often post about it to see if something can be done to have the games broadcast. Most times I have no idea who is responsible for the live games and I'm not intending to be critical of the person doing the broadcast (who I gather is sometimes you) but rather of the tournament organisers whose responsibility is to put on a good event including live games. Bill is making a similar point in saying that a national title event should have results published in a timely fashion if at all possible. Sometimes this may not be possible if, for example, the organisers are busy changing playing halls.

    Unfortunately my posts often get a reply from you along the lines that it's just an attempt from me to remain "relevant". Far from posting "to get a rise out of you" I'm trying to explain that my comments are not intended as personal criticism yet from your reply above it is clear that in this regard I have failed.

    Let me have one last attempt. It's not about you (or anyone else doing live games); it's not about me, it's about putting on the best possible chess tournament with all the features that you would expect (such as live games and timely results and perpetual trophies at the prize-giving).
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

  9. #99
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    I'm struggling to follow your logic Altecman, if there is any. Let me spell it out for you. I think major chess tournaments should have a working live games broadcast. If they don't or something goes wrong then I often post about it to see if something can be done to have the games broadcast. Most times I have no idea who is responsible for the live games and I'm not intending to be critical of the person doing the broadcast (who I gather is sometimes you) but rather of the tournament organisers whose responsibility is to put on a good event including live games. Bill is making a similar point in saying that a national title event should have results published in a timely fashion if at all possible. Sometimes this may not be possible if, for example, the organisers are busy changing playing halls.

    Unfortunately my posts often get a reply from you along the lines that it's just an attempt from me to remain "relevant". Far from posting "to get a rise out of you" I'm trying to explain that my comments are not intended as personal criticism yet from your reply above it is clear that in this regard I have failed.

    Let me have one last attempt. It's not about you (or anyone else doing live games); it's not about me, it's about putting on the best possible chess tournament with all the features that you would expect (such as live games and timely results and perpetual trophies at the prize-giving).
    Thanks for the clarification Jammo we're all thankful. Its great we have people like you ensuring the success of Australian Chess events from behind your computer screen, your reviews are quite insightful and keep the people who actually do the work well motivated and enthusiastic to continue.

  10. #100
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stahnke View Post
    Enough with the theatrics and more about the kids! Yizhen Diao had a great result today in the U12 on board 1. He defeated top seed Marco Le Lun Zheng (773 rating point difference). I sat next to Marco in a few games of the 2017 Aus Open. He is no push over and I'd say he's underrated if anything. He made easy work of WIM Alexandra Jule. I just assumed he was 12+ years old...but definitely not 9 years old holding a 1753 rating. There's some incredible talent coming through in these events!
    Marco's first rating of 1753 would appear to be his first ever rating (not a bad first rating), obtained in the December 2016 rating list, from what I gather from this webpage: http://chessexpress.blogspot.com.au/...der-day-1.html . I was happy to get a draw with Marco in a tough game in the Oz Championships. As my friend Joe, who lost to Marco, said at the end of the tournament, "We should keep an eye on how these juniors go in the Australian Junior, so we don't feel so much like patzers". None too surprisingly, Marco won the Under 10's section, albeit with some other participants close behind.

  11. #101
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2
    I'm not playing in this tournament but this is certainly a problem for those playing in this tournament but during the broadcast for some reason the names switched for example, Slater Jones-Yang became Wang-Zou and vice versa. From my observations on the results page they seemed to use the results from the broadcast for those games that were broadcasted. I understand it has been hard for the the people organizing this event but this does impact on the players, specifically for those who arrange pre-game preparation with their coaches.

    Sorry, my misunderstanding. The names were originally incorrect and then corrected. My bad.
    Last edited by SamuelAsaka; 19-01-2017 at 07:50 PM.

  12. #102
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelAsaka View Post
    I'm not playing in this tournament but this is certainly a problem for those playing in this tournament but during the broadcast for some reason the names switched for example, Slater Jones-Yang became Wang-Zou and vice versa. From my observations on the results page they seemed to use the results from the broadcast for those games that were broadcasted. I understand it has been hard for the the people organizing this event but this does impact on the players, specifically for those who arrange pre-game preparation with their coaches.

    Sorry, my misunderstanding. The names were originally incorrect and then corrected. My bad.
    Whatever is shown on the live boards shouldn't be taken as correct...look for correct pairings on the official website ajcc.org.au perhaps....

    The discrepancy you mention is because we are adding games from other events.

  13. #103
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    853
    Yes I made a mistake, it took me a bit to notice. However, it was fixed before the end of the round, and the liveboards didn't have any names up until around 5 minutes before the round. So I'm not sure how it affects pre-game preparation. Since you didn't have enough time before the specific round to prepare as it was only 5 minutes, and it doesn't affect current preparation as the names have been corrected since around 4pm.

  14. #104
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    853
    There will be no broadcast of the morning round due to more problems with the venue.

  15. #105
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    853
    The afternoon round will be broadcasted

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2017 Australian Open - Brisbane
    By Afitz in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 286
    Last Post: 06-03-2017, 09:38 PM
  2. 2007 Australian Junior Championships
    By Libby in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 343
    Last Post: 07-08-2007, 11:22 AM
  3. Australian Internet Junior Chess Championships
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-02-2006, 12:00 AM
  4. Australian & Junior Championships 2006
    By WhiteElephant in forum Australian Chess Championships 2006
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: 11-01-2006, 04:58 AM
  5. Mt Buller junior Australian Championships
    By Mischa in forum Mt Buller Chess
    Replies: 506
    Last Post: 24-01-2005, 06:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •