Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 1000

Thread: Asylum seekers

  1. #61
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    LOL I told them that too on Face Book, but they won't listen!

    Attachment 3155

    PS Maybe because my syntax is as bad as their punctuation!
    Sheesh. Misusing the apostrophe once is an immediate turn-off for me. Three times! Words fail me. They're destroying their credibility there.

  2. #62
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Sheesh. Misusing the apostrophe once is an immediate turn-off for me. Three times! Words fail me. They're destroying their credibility there.
    It's four times actually!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

  3. #63
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Sheesh. Misusing the apostrophe once is an immediate turn-off for me. Three times! Words fail me. They're destroying their credibility there.
    But theyre not doing English's . Theyre doing Mathematic's!!!
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  4. #64
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    But theyre not doing English's . Theyre doing Mathematic's!!!
    They're not too good at that either. The claim has been debunked in various places since made by - who else - Jacqui Lambie. Perhaps she got it from this sort of social media sludge in the first place.

    https://theconversation.com/election...57-visas-60241

  5. #65
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    13,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    LOL I told them that too on Face Book, but they won't listen!

    Attachment 3155

    PS Maybe because my syntax is as bad as their punctuation!
    I would leave grammar and spelling discussion to Jammo .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  6. #66
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    They're not too good at that either. The claim has been debunked in various places since made by - who else - Jacqui Lambie. Perhaps she got it from this sort of social media sludge in the first place.
    They could argue that working Kiwis are included in their number of 1 million. While including out Trans-Tasman partners is unusual because of the unilateral agreement between Australia and New Zealand it would probably be the only way to get them up to one million mark.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  7. #67
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    19,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Sheesh. Misusing the apostrophe once is an immediate turn-off for me. Three times! Words fail me. They're destroying their credibility there.
    I don't know why so many Internet "memes" are loaded with grammatical and spelling mistakes.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  8. #68
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    19,664
    THE HOME OFFICE’S SHAMEFUL TREATMENT OF CHRISTIAN ASYLUM SEEKERS
    Gillan Scott, 8 June 2016


    Well, according to the BBC, for some in the Home Office, Jesus is no longer good enough either. You’re now only a real Christian if you can recite all of the 10 Commandments, and (bizarrely) know what colour a Bible cover is.

    This would be rather amusing if it wasn’t so serious. We’re talking about refugees and asylum seekers who have fled their countries to avoid persecution because of their religious beliefs. They have arrived here under the assumption that we are a compassionate, Christian country, and will finally provide a safe haven where they will be free from the fear of intimidation, physical violence or worse. Instead, they find themselves being asked trivial questions on random Bible knowledge, and many are having their applications rejected because they can’t provide correct answers to many questions which would confound quite a few native British Christians.

    How much anguish and trauma must it inflict on someone who has risked everything to reject the religion of their family and community in order to follow Jesus, to arrive in the UK and be told by a paper-pushing official that their faith is bogus?

    These utterly depressing findings come from a new report from the All Party Parliamentary Group for International Freedom of Religion or Belief. Sadly, though, the BBC only paints part of the picture.

    The levels of ignorance displayed by some Home Office officials toward Christian asylum seekers is nothing short of appalling. Admittedly, the assessment of religious persecution is likely to be complex and demanding: the report’s authors find that there is already sufficient, sound and nuanced guidance formulated by the Home Office to assist in assessing applications, but too often it is ignored or poorly implemented. Knowledge of churches and liturgies is sometimes based on a quick survey of churches’ websites, which may have limited information. In one case, the official had not realised that an Anglican Church can also be an Evangelical one, and thus found the applicant’s testimony inconsistent as it did not match the church’s public information on its website.

    There is little appreciation of the difficulties faced particularly by Christian converts from a Muslim background, including high levels of hostility or very limited access to Bible texts. For one such woman, to have had her application rejected partly because she did not know how many books there are in the New Testament is a gross injustice.

    In another case, an appeal judge remarked on an Indian woman’s ignorance of the Friday abstinence rules in Roman Catholicism in relation to refraining from meat consumption. He concluded that she was not a Christian as this practice was ‘general knowledge’. This was despite a Roman Catholic priest providing a statement explaining that many Indian Catholics frequently eat meat on a Friday.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  9. #69
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Isn't it bigoted to expect that we treat christian asylum seekers differently to any other?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  10. #70
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Isn't it bigoted to expect that we treat christian asylum seekers differently to any other?
    The complaints above about officials' lack of knowledge of obscure points of Christian belief could no doubt be made even more frequently regarding Muslim beliefs - not that the author seems to care about this (not very Christian of her!).

    And it's ironic that while one group of right-wingers complain that too many 'bogus' asylum-seekers are accepted, another group (probably overlapping with the first) complain that too many 'genuine' (ie Christian) asylum-seekers are rejected. The poor officials can't win!

    It also shows the stupidity of having quotas for certain religious groups, which Trump and Cruz are arguing for. It is not only bigoted, but impossible to enforce effectively.

  11. #71
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    12,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    THE HOME OFFICE’S SHAMEFUL TREATMENT OF CHRISTIAN ASYLUM SEEKERS
    Gillan Scott, 8 June 2016


    Well, according to the BBC, for some in the Home Office, Jesus is no longer good enough either. You’re now only a real Christian if you can recite all of the 10 Commandments, and (bizarrely) know what colour a Bible cover is.
    Oooh ooh ooh I know this one.

    I am god fo shizzle.
    Them other gods, pay em no mind.
    Do not draw Mohammaed
    Take a sickie every now and then.
    Don't be killin, unless I tell you to.
    Keep it in your pants, unless you're a god and she's a virgin.
    Don't be stealin, unless you can use the bible to justify it.
    Tell the truth, unless it contradicts the bible.
    Do not covet something something something, because I convict for thought crimes. This goes for livestock too, I'm looking at you New Zealand.

    And the bible is obviously stained blood red from centuries of Christians' Works.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  12. #72
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,259
    Majority of Australians say refugees who arrive by boat should be let in, poll finds
    The Guardian
    29.6.16

    Refugees who arrive in Australia by boat should be allowed to resettle in the country, a majority of Australians believe, new polling released just days before the election shows.

    A poll of more than 1,400 people commissioned by The Australia Institute found 63% of respondents oppose the bipartisan policy that refugees who arrive in Australia by boat should never be allowed to settle in the country, instead saying those found to have a valid claim for protection should be brought to Australia.

    As well, two-thirds of Australians believe doctors working in Australia’s offshore detention regime should be free to speak out about conditions in detention centres, and a majority believe New Zealand’s offer to resettle refugees from Manus Island and Nauru should be accepted....

  13. #73
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    13,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Majority of Australians say refugees who arrive by boat should be let in, poll finds
    The Guardian
    29.6.16

    Refugees who arrive in Australia by boat should be allowed to resettle in the country, a majority of Australians believe, new polling released just days before the election shows.

    A poll of more than 1,400 people commissioned by The Australia Institute found 63% of respondents oppose the bipartisan policy that refugees who arrive in Australia by boat should never be allowed to settle in the country, instead saying those found to have a valid claim for protection should be brought to Australia.

    As well, two-thirds of Australians believe doctors working in Australia’s offshore detention regime should be free to speak out about conditions in detention centres, and a majority believe New Zealand’s offer to resettle refugees from Manus Island and Nauru should be accepted....
    I trust they all understood the meaning of ''valid claim'' prior to answering the survey questions
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  14. #74
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,259
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I trust they all understood the meaning of ''valid claim'' prior to answering the survey questions
    Even if some didn't understand, the majority still wants to open our borders.

  15. #75
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    13,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Even if some didn't understand, the majority still wants to open our borders.
    So if they do not understand - are they making an informed decision. In Europe, when the influx of the so-called Syrian refugees started many also believed they should all be accepted - it is over the time (has not taken long though ) that they understood the real impact.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •