Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 984

Thread: Asylum seekers

  1. #46
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Perhaps you could show them this report, to give them some idea of what's being going on at home while they enjoy the good life here.
    The economic benefit they produce here is going in part to fund military aid from Australia to Sri Lanka which helps enable the genocide. Very disturbing.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  2. #47
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    The economic benefit they produce here is going in part to fund military aid from Australia to Sri Lanka which helps enable the genocide. Very disturbing.
    Showing this thread to my Sri-Lankan students right now ...they are highly entertained to learn of all the so-called ''problems'' their country is experiencing .
    Seriously speaking, they are annoyed people think there is genocide in their country
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  3. #48
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,569
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Showing this thread to my Sri-Lankan students right now ...they are highly entertained to learn of all the so-called ''problems'' their country is experiencing .
    Seriously speaking, they are annoyed people think there is genocide in their country
    Yes denial is a very common reaction to this sort of revelation.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  4. #49
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,968
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Showing this thread to my Sri-Lankan students right now ...they are highly entertained to learn of all the so-called ''problems'' their country is experiencing .
    Seriously speaking, they are annoyed people think there is genocide in their country
    They should be more than annoyed that their government keeps them in the dark about its shady activities. Sri Lanka is up there among the worst when it comes to suppression of freedom of the press.

    While they have freedom here of access to information, they should check how their country stands in world opinion.

  5. #50
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,590
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watc...tlessly/#page1

    I wonder if those involved in the bashing are Nigerian or Kenian overseas students...I do not think so. Nor they are Egyptian or Indian IT/Accounting professionals...
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  6. #51
    Banned Hydra
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watc...tlessly/#page1

    I wonder if those involved in the bashing are Nigerian or Kenyan overseas students...I do not think so. Nor they are Egyptian or Indian IT/Accounting professionals...
    They are secondary school children.

  7. #52
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahane_S View Post
    They are secondary school children.
    Absolutely. I wonder what their family background is. Some of my postgrad students have kids this age already but can not recall them bashing up anyone to this extent...
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  8. #53
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,968
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Absolutely. I wonder what their family background is. Some of my postgrad students have kids this age already but can not recall them bashing up anyone to this extent...
    You may be titillated by Channel 7's breathless news reporting style, but what do you really think makes it newsworthy?

    It was not hard to find a more positive story from the Melton area - http://www.cam.org.au/News-and-Event...n#.V1PBDb57nfY

  9. #54
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,695
    Attachment 3154
    just to break the monotony!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  10. #55
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    Attachment 3154
    just to break the monotony!
    Absolutely, so lets appreciate the benefits and ''give back'' to Australia by working hard and embrace those who are happy and skilled to work hard and smart as well!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  11. #56
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    Attachment 3154
    just to break the monotony!
    It offends me that the people who write this stuff can't write English

  12. #57
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    It offends me that the people who write this stuff can't write English
    Looks to be fertile recruiting grounds for the ALA.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  13. #58
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    It offends me that the people who write this stuff can't write English
    no need to worry, the people that message is written for can't read English either!
    Last edited by ER; 06-06-2016 at 03:27 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  14. #59
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    no need to worry, the people that message is written for can't read English either!
    Considering that the target audience is redneck Australians, you're probably right

  15. #60
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Considering that the target audience is redneck Australians, you're probably right
    LOL I told them that too on Face Book, but they won't listen!

    Attachment 3155

    PS Maybe because my syntax is as bad as their punctuation!
    Last edited by ER; 07-06-2016 at 05:27 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •