Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar

2016 Victorian Championship

Chess Victoria Presents The 2016 Victorian Championships

Format: Swiss System 9 rounds
    Venue: Box Hill Chess Club (21A Electra Avenue, Ashwood)
    Eligibility: Top 24 Victorian players based on the June 1/2016 Australian Chess Federation rating list.
    Rate of play: All moves in 90 minutes + 30 seconds per move increment from move 1
    Ratings: Event will be rated on ACF & FIDE rating lists
    Forfeit time: 30 minutes after scheduled start time
    Entry Fees: $75 full; $50 concession; GMs, IMs, WGMs & WIMs free;
    Payments: Cash or cheque to the Chess Victoria treasurer Trevor Stanning 23 Chester Street Surrey Hills 3127
    Entries & enquiries: by e-mail to the Tournament Director Leonid Sandler leonidsandlerchess@gmail.com
    Entries for Championship close on June 10.
    Prizes: 1st $1000, 2nd $500, 3rd $300, 4th $200.
    Playoff: In case of two players sharing first place a play-off match for the State title will be arranged. The playoff will be over two games with Championship time control and in case of a tie two rapid games, if still tied two blitz games and if still tied an Armageddon game. In case of 3 or more players tying for first place a round -robin tournament for the title will be arranged.

Schedule:
    Round 1 June 19
    Round 2 June 26
    Round 3 July 17
    Round 4 July 24
    Round 5 July 31
    Round 6 August 7
    Round 7 August 14
    Round 8 August 21
    Round 9 August 28
    Starting time: 4:00 pm except July 17 & August 14, which will start at 6:30 pm

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead View Post
    Chess Victoria Presents The 2016 Victorian Championships

Format: Swiss System 9 rounds
    Venue: Box Hill Chess Club (21A Electra Avenue, Ashwood)
    Eligibility: Top 24 Victorian players based on the June 1/2016 Australian Chess Federation rating list.
    Rate of play: All moves in 90 minutes + 30 seconds per move increment from move 1
    Ratings: Event will be rated on ACF & FIDE rating lists
    Forfeit time: 30 minutes after scheduled start time
    Entry Fees: $75 full; $50 concession; GMs, IMs, WGMs & WIMs free;
    Payments: Cash or cheque to the Chess Victoria treasurer Trevor Stanning 23 Chester Street Surrey Hills 3127
    Entries & enquiries: by e-mail to the Tournament Director Leonid Sandler leonidsandlerchess@gmail.com
    Prizes: 1st $1000, 2nd $500, 3rd $300, 4th $200.
    Playoff: In case of two players sharing first place a play-off match for the State title will be arranged. The playoff will be over two games with Championship time control and in case of a tie two rapid games, if still tied two blitz games and if still tied an Armageddon game. In case of 3 or more players tying for first place a round -robin tournament for the title will be arranged.

Schedule:
    Round 1 June 19
    Round 2 June 26
    Round 3 July 17
    Round 4 July 24
    Round 5 July 31
    Round 6 August 7
    Round 7 August 14
    Round 8 August 21
    Round 9 August 28
    Starting time: 4:00 pm except July 17 & August 14, which will start at 6:30 pm
    Interesting change of format towards a Swiss. As far as I can remember the very last Swiss was taking place over 20 years ago. Also, the games are scheduled on Sunday...and start 4 pm - perfect time for both morning sleepers and early birds as the games will start late enough for sleepers to sleep and finish early enough for juniors to go to bed early! Another positive that I can see - No chess clubs have their weekly events on Sundays so it won't clash with club events.
    Last edited by MichaelBaron; 08-05-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Interesting change of format towards a Swiss. As far as I can remember the very last Swiss was taking place over 20 years ago. Also, the games are scheduled on Sunday...and start 4 pm - perfect time for both morning sleepers and early birds as the games will start late enough for sleepers to sleep and finish early enough for juniors to go to bed early! Another positive that I can see - No chess clubs have their weekly events on Sundays so it won't clash with club events.
    Looks like a very civilised schedule. Also seems preferable to me to have one venue, same time each Sunday than several venues and lots of different times and days of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Watto View Post
    Looks like a very civilised schedule. Also seems preferable to me to have one venue, same time each Sunday than several venues and lots of different times and days of the week.
    How will you know if you are in the top 24? Is that top 24 active players?

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UrBANE View Post
    Or the top 24 players that register for the Championships?

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    *Top 24 Victorian players based on the June 1/2016 Australian Chess Federation rating list....

....but, well I was thinking anywho, ...what if the Top 24 Victorian players are all GMs WGMs IMs or WIMs .... then no one will have to pay, or what if 23 were and one person wasn't.

How many of those does Victoria have.

Also, should the prize money be more just to cover expenses so could be like over more places, since really playing is to get your name on the trophy for perpetuity..
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by UrBANE View Post
    I think the way it will work is (just like in the previous years where top 10-12 applicants were selected) that all the interested players can apply and top 24 of the applicants based on rating can be selected. If non-active players apply then their last published rating will be considered.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I think the way it will work is (just like in the previous years where top 10-12 applicants were selected) that all the interested players can apply and top 24 of the applicants based on rating can be selected.
    I don't know how it's going to be done but this seems a bit odd to me. I thought past championships had rating cutoffs. The method above suggests in theory that players with any rating could be eligible (if enough of the top players don't apply). My take on it was that it is the top 24 players in Victoria, and anyone below that has to play in the Reserves.

Might be a good idea for Kerry to clarify this and Sylvester's question too.

Quote Originally Posted by simdeaf View Post
    Or the top 24 players that register for the Championships?
    Yes, the field for the Swiss will have a maximum of 24 players.

Part of the reason for the change of format & timing was to allow some of the current crop of up-and-coming juniors an opportunity to compete in an elite tournament, rather than being unable to play in an event due to a schedule with many weeknight games or a rating that has yet to 'catch up' to their potential.

CC International Master
    For anybody who has not been to our new club rooms they are very good. We have superb car parking and are close to a railway station and there is a bus service from Box hill although buses are infrequent on Sundays.

Will there be a Reserves tournament?

Great work Chess Victoria.
    David Flude

Box Hill Chess Club

http://boxhillchess.org.au/

Canterbury Junior Chess http://www.canterburychess.org.au/

CC International Master

more on tournament.

Hi all.

We will be holding our regular sunday Arvo Swiss most weeks. The two rounds with delayed starts follow our monthly Rookies Cup which starts at 12.30 PM and finishes about 5PM. Adults play in this tournament so Championship players could play in this tournament and have a break before the Championship.
    David Flude

Box Hill Chess Club

http://boxhillchess.org.au/

Canterbury Junior Chess http://www.canterburychess.org.au/

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead View Post
    Yes, the field for the Swiss will have a maximum of 24 players.

Part of the reason for the change of format & timing was to allow some of the current crop of up-and-coming juniors an opportunity to compete in an elite tournament, rather than being unable to play in an event due to a schedule with many weeknight games or a rating that has yet to 'catch up' to their potential.
    So how do I know if I am in the elect 24 or not? I'm certainly outside the top 24, but would love to put my hand up to play against the best in Victoria if other (better) players are not. Email the organiser of one's interest, and then pay once confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by simdeaf View Post
    So how do I know if I am in the elect 24 or not? I'm certainly outside the top 24, but would love to put my hand up to play against the best in Victoria if other (better) players are not. Email the organiser of one's interest, and then pay once confirmed?

Email Leonid before the close of entries. Final field will be announced shortly after entries close.

CC International Master

James Morris will defend his title

Victorian Champion International Master James Morris will defend his title.The deadline for entries is 8 days away.

CC Candidate Master
    Have many entered yet?

Thread Information