Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
    I tried to import Classic ACF Master File marmst16.txt as "national archive with Fixed Length" using the following filter - no luck.
    It's actually really easy to import players with a Vega format master file, and once the file is loaded players can be added to tournaments using the keyboard only. Very fast. Once the ACF starts publishing the Vega master file and arbiters get a chance to play around with it, I'd say the rollout towards Vega would proceed pretty smoothly. I've tried both Swiss Perfect and Vega, although perhaps not looking too great, Vega is a major step up (in terms of ease of use, flexibility, and adherence to FIDE standards).

Just for people's information, Vega is provided gratis to Linux users, and if your tournament has less than 30 players, the unlicensed Windows version is sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    Official Vega import files will appear on the ACF website with the June 2016 ratings.
    These files won't require a filter.
    I had a quick look at the June ratings here but I didn't see the Vega files. Are they up?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_Hall View Post
    Importing names into Vega is easy - ratings are provided as a database or spreadsheet format of some sort (NZCF uses .csv format) and you import them from there.
    NZCF uses native Vega format as they are easiest to use (no need to use filter). Basically it's a plain text file that is semicolon delimited.

In the early days (years ago) it was easy enough to create as the NZCF rating list was an Excel spreadsheet. Just a matter of shuffling columns around to match Vega's fields and then exporting to .csv.

Makes importing players into a tournament easy. Updating ratings are simple as it just takes a few mouse clicks.
    Once FIDE ID and National ID fields are populated, updating ratings is a painless process.
    IA Keong Ang

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Abraham Lincoln

CC Candidate Master
    I have heard from my state delegate that the ACF has gone ahead with the purchase, and that a national Vega licence is now in effect. Is this correct?

I would like to use a registered copy of Vega to run an upcoming CAWA event. Have the licence details already been released to state associations?
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hardegen View Post
    I have heard from my state delegate that the ACF has gone ahead with the purchase, and that a national Vega licence is now in effect. Is this correct? I would like to use a registered copy of Vega to run an upcoming CAWA event. Have the licence details already been released to state associations?
    I can't help you with specific ACF information, and I'm not aware of any licence details. But I doubt that you would be able to run an ACF-rated event with Vega until Vega import files for the ACF rating list have been released, which hasn't happened yet.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I can't help you with specific ACF information, and I'm not aware of any licence details. But I doubt that you would be able to run an ACF-rated event with Vega until Vega import files for the ACF rating list have been released, which hasn't happened yet.
    The event in question is the WA Allegro Championship, i.e. a Rapid event. CAWA does not submit any Rapid tournaments for ACF Quick rating, so we won't be needing the import files on this occasion.

Without the import files I think it would be difficult, but not impossible, to submit Vega files for rating. The ACF already does accept Vega files for ACF rating, but I imagine that to fill in the player information as required for this purpose would be a long and painful exercise for the organiser and/or state ratings officer.

Hoping that someone can shed some light on the licence details.
    Last edited by Andrew Hardegen; 14-11-2016 at 02:00 AM.
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hardegen View Post
    The event in question is the WA Allegro Championship, i.e. a Rapid event. CAWA does not submit any Rapid tournaments for ACF Quick rating, so we won't be needing the import files on this occasion.
    ...Hoping that someone can shed some light on the licence details.
    I can't find anything in the ACF Bulletin about Vega. But hopefully an ACF person will be able to help you.

I understand that Vega is free for events with fewer than 30 players. That may cover your event, or you may be able to split the event into two sections if necessary, so that you can still use Vega.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    How does one copy the pairings view so that it can be posted in Chesschat, as for example here or anything else similar?

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....l=1#post420723

This is presumably utterly simple but I have absolutely no idea. I can get various things from the output window none of which format properly.

Thanks.

Incidentally, a hint some people may find useful: to search for a name in a master list you need to enter six characters, thus you apparently cannot search just for a five-letter surname.

Thanks to Keong Ang who has kindly advised me that they are stored as files of the form pairs1.txt, pairs2.txt (etc with number depending on round) inside the tournament folder. In my case I just found the most recent version of these files via a files search rather than looking for which Vega folder on my computer they were in!

CC FIDE Master
    Thanks Keong and Kevin on this information.

lost

This thread is now a sticky so that help on formatting pairings for display and other useful things can be found easily.

CC Rookie
    Has anyone had a problem with Vega automatic updates from FIDE overwriting manually entered information such as FIDE ratings from ratings.fide.com with "unrated" and birth dates with zeros?
    The player this was first noticed for can only be found on FIDE's ratings web site via "advanced search". The simple search will not find the player.
    This is causing ... unenthusiasm ... for Vega. If the automatic update doesn't work (or can't be trusted to always work) that portion of the application is unusable. Specifically, if every player must be looked up manually and entered manually, Vega is not helping manage the players in a tournament very much.
    Pairings, yes, OK. Player management, not.
    Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Giles Lean View Post
    Has anyone had a problem with Vega automatic updates from FIDE overwriting manually entered information such as FIDE ratings from ratings.fide.com with "unrated" and birth dates with zeros?
    The player this was first noticed for can only be found on FIDE's ratings web site via "advanced search". The simple search will not find the player.
    This is causing ... unenthusiasm ... for Vega. If the automatic update doesn't work (or can't be trusted to always work) that portion of the application is unusable. Specifically, if every player must be looked up manually and entered manually, Vega is not helping manage the players in a tournament very much.
    Pairings, yes, OK. Player management, not.
    Help?
    Did you do the following.
    1) download the ACF Vega master file and set it as the import database
    2) download the txt master file from the FIDE website and set it as the second database
    3) import players from the ACF Vega master file
    4) import any players from the FIDE database who are not on the ACF master list
    5) manually add players not on the ACF master file
    6) whilst set to the FIDE database use the update function to import players FIDE ratings. This is done based on the value in the FIDE id number field.
    In the dialog box that pops up make sure to only import the FIDE rating, k factor and FIDE Title. Do not select DOB or other fields or you will replace the already imported data with unwanted values from the FIDE file.

If you used a different method how did it differ from the above.

BTW what version of Vega are you using.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

CC Rookie
    Bill, thanks for the detailed reply.

I wasn't controlling Vega for the tournament, so unfortunately I can't answer all your questions personally, other than I doubt we had anything but the latest Vega version, running on Windows. We had Vega reading the ACF data and FIDE data, and we were definitely careful to have the latest files.

I shall try to find time -- perhaps at the weekend -- to replicate the problem following your instructions.

A theory which would explain what happened to the DOB information would be if we had been allowing overwriting of it. If the ACF data is better for DOB than FIDE's, that is something to note. I know we had DOB data from the tournament entry, too, but quality control there must be a bit dubious; very easy for someone to enter a wrong birthdate while signing up online. Ideally mismatches would be noted as birthdays don't change ... outside of Hollywood PR, perhaps.

That theory doesn't explain clearing of FIDE rating, which we want to take from the FIDE data, but as the player whose rating was cleared on input is not found via a simple search on ratings.fide.com but only by an "advanced search" perhaps the downloaded FIDE data doesn't include that player, or at least his rating? i.e. The problem might not be with Vega, but with the input data. Still theorising.

"More investigation required."

Thanks again, and I shall report back after some experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Giles Lean View Post
    Bill, thanks for the detailed reply.

I wasn't controlling Vega for the tournament, so unfortunately I can't answer all your questions personally, other than I doubt we had anything but the latest Vega version, running on Windows. We had Vega reading the ACF data and FIDE data, and we were definitely careful to have the latest files.

I shall try to find time -- perhaps at the weekend -- to replicate the problem following your instructions.

A theory which would explain what happened to the DOB information would be if we had been allowing overwriting of it. If the ACF data is better for DOB than FIDE's, that is something to note. I know we had DOB data from the tournament entry, too, but quality control there must be a bit dubious; very easy for someone to enter a wrong birthdate while signing up online. Ideally mismatches would be noted as birthdays don't change ... outside of Hollywood PR, perhaps.

That theory doesn't explain clearing of FIDE rating, which we want to take from the FIDE data, but as the player whose rating was cleared on input is not found via a simple search on ratings.fide.com but only by an "advanced search" perhaps the downloaded FIDE data doesn't include that player, or at least his rating? i.e. The problem might not be with Vega, but with the input data. Still theorising.

"More investigation required."

Thanks again, and I shall report back after some experimentation.
    I have the Vega file and I have a few observations in relation to it.

1) It appears that players such as James Morris, Greg Canfell, Thu Giang Nguyen etc were imported from a different ACF master file from players such as Max Illingworth, Stephen Solomon, Trevor Tao, Julia Ryjanova etc.
    2) Players such as Josh Specth, Kai Jie Soo and Yi Jing Alvin Chen are on the ACF master file but do not appear to have been imported from it, but instead imported from the FIDE list.
    3) Michael Khamatgaleev and Meng Boon Marcus Chen appear to have been imported from the ACF master but their names appear to be from the FIDE list.

Who is the player "whose rating was cleared on input is not found via a simple search on ratings.fide.com but only by an "advanced search""?

Note: For the simple search to work on the FIDE website you need to enter a minimum 5 characters.

e.g. Tsai will not work. 'Tsai,' without the quotes will work. Guo will not work, however 'Guo, ' without the quotes will work.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Thread Information