Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Vega

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    Also I tried emailing a zipped tournament files to a gmail account and the email was not delivered due it being seen a security threat.
    I learnt two things about this today from Aaron Perkins.
    One, it is almost impossible to email a zip file to a gmail account, it will just be blocked
    Two, I don't have to send him all the files in the tournament folder, only the main vega file so there is no need to use a zip file.

CC International Master
    I spent a couple of hours this afternoon at the SA chess centre trying and failing to work out why the latest downloadable version of the install executable works on one computer running Windows 10 and does not on a second computer also running Windows 10.

On the first computer, a laptop, I was able to very easily update Vega from 8.4.1 to 8.4.2 and it ran without a hassle

On the second computer, a desktop, I was seemingly able to install Vega 8.4.2, but when I tried to run Vega8 it would not start up and I got an error. The Vega teams 6.1.7 which is also installed by the install executable does run.

The error I get is "The Application Was Unable To Start Correctly (0xc00007b)"

I have looked in the Vega manual available on the vega website and also tried searching online and I was unable to solve the issue. It does not help that the desktop I am trying to install Vega on is not connected to the internet, but neither is laptop unless I use a personal wifi hotspot from my phone. So it makes it hard to do some of things suggested online to fix the problem.

Has anyone else had the problem or have any idea what I can do to solve this issue?

CC FIDE Master
    I spent a couple of hours this afternoon at the SA chess centre trying and failing to work out why the latest downloadable version of the install executable works on one computer running Windows 10 and does not on a second computer also running Windows 10.

On the first computer, a laptop, I was able to very easily update Vega from 8.4.1 to 8.4.2 and it ran without a hassle

On the second computer, a desktop, I was seemingly able to install Vega 8.4.2, but when I tried to run Vega8 it would not start up and I got an error. The Vega teams 6.1.7 which is also installed by the install executable does run.

The error I get is "The Application Was Unable To Start Correctly (0xc00007b)"

I have looked in the Vega manual available on the vega website and also tried searching online and I was unable to solve the issue. It does not help that the desktop I am trying to install Vega on is not connected to the internet, but neither is laptop unless I use a personal wifi hotspot from my phone. So it makes it hard to do some of things suggested online to fix the problem.

Has anyone else had the problem or have any idea what I can do to solve this issue?
    Both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Vega are available for download from vegachess.com. Are you sure that you are running the appropriate one for your OS?
    FA Andrew Hardegen
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth) -- www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au
    Senior Vice-President, CAWA -- www.cawa.org.au

Chief Organiser, 2023 Australian Open (2nd-10th January) -- https://sites.google.com/view/2023ausopen/home

CC Candidate Master
    One, it is almost impossible to email a zip file to a gmail account, it will just be blocked
    Two, I don't have to send him all the files in the tournament folder, only the main vega file so there is no need to use a zip file.
    I had the same problem in sending a tournament folder. The sticking point was the JavaScript files in the "www..." sub-directory. I renamed the .js files to .not_js (or whatever), then re-zipped, and the file went through OK. One could also just delete the www... sub-directory instead (Vega will re-create it).

CC Grandmaster
    In case anyone is unclear, that's the '.vegx' file, which contains all the tournament information (the setup details, the player data and the results). You don't need any other files to recreate the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    In case anyone is unclear, that's the '.vegx' file, which contains all the tournament information (the setup details, the player data and the results). You don't need any other files to recreate the tournament.
    That isn't entirely true.
    If the tournament has ended then just sending the .vegx file is fine.
    However if the tournament is in progress and you are sending it to someone else(assistant arbiter), then if you have used the "Avoid Pairs" option you either need to also send the prohibited.txt file or they will need to use the "Avoid Pairs" option to recreate the prohibited.txt file.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hardegen View Post
    Both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Vega are available for download from vegachess.com. Are you sure that you are running the appropriate one for your OS?
    Thank you for answering.

Yes, I am sure. I used the 64 bit file that worked on the laptop also running Windows 10 and the Vega Teams program surely would not work if I had the wrong bit install file. I also checked with Aaron Perkins and he confirmed it should be the 64 bit version.

I have since the above post found this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR1ZbflcI1c, which gives a series of things to try that I did not see suggested elsewhere. I am hoping to find the solution before Tuesday, when I will next be in the chess center, so I can get Vega working then.

Thank you for answering.

Yes, I am sure. I used the 64 bit file that worked on the laptop also running Windows 10 and the Vega Teams program surely would not work if I had the wrong bit install file. I also checked with Aaron Perkins and he confirmed it should be the 64 bit version.

I have since the above post found this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR1ZbflcI1c, which gives a series of things to try that I did not see suggested elsewhere. I am hoping to find the solution before Tuesday, when I will next be in the chess center, so I can get Vega working then.
    Have you confirmed what version of Windows the desktop is running?

How does it compare to this:
    Edition Windows 10 Pro
    Version 21H2
    Installed on ‎22/‎06/‎2021
    OS build 19044.1949
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC International Master
    I believe it is Windows 10 Home. I do not have the other details you have shown.

As it is on a computer not connected to the internet it would not have been updated for a long time.
    Last edited by Scott Colliver; 23-09-2022 at 11:17 PM.

I believe it is Windows 10 Home. I do not have the other details you have shown.
    Well is it Windows 10 Home 64 bit or 32 bit.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    Well is it Windows 10 Home 64 bit or 32 bit.
    I am sure it is 64-bit.

How would Vega teams 64-bit run if it was not 64-bit?

Also the Windows had the syswow64 folder which only occurs on the 64-bit version.
    Last edited by Scott Colliver; 24-09-2022 at 12:27 AM.

CC Grandmaster
    I am sure it is 64-bit. How would Vega teams 64-bit run if it was not 64-bit? Also the Windows had the syswow64 folder which only occurs on the 64-bit version.
    In 'Settings', you can check this by choosing 'System' and then 'About' (that's where Bill got his details from).

Does Vega 8.4.1 work?

CC International Master
    In 'Settings', you can check this by choosing 'System' and then 'About' (that's where Bill got his details from).

Does Vega 8.4.1 work?
    I could do that but I am at home and the computer I want to install Vega on is in the SA chess centre. I will not be in the chess centre until Tuesday.

I don't believe Vega 8.4.1 has ever been attempted to be installed on this computer. It had a much older version of Vega installed. The computer was used to run Vega until sometime in the middle of last year when Aaron Perkins attempted to install a version of Vega on the computer and he had the same issue. I think he would have been trying to intall an 8.3.x version but cannot be more exact than that.

CC Grandmaster
    I could do that but I am at home and the computer I want to install Vega on is in the SA chess centre. I will not be in the chess centre until Tuesday.
    It would be worth checking, but from what you've already posted, I'm sure it's 64-bit.

I don't believe Vega 8.4.1 has ever been attempted to be installed on this computer. It had a much older version of Vega installed. The computer was used to run Vega until sometime in the middle of last year when Aaron Perkins attempted to install a version of Vega on the computer and he had the same issue. I think he would have been trying to intall an 8.3.x version but cannot be more exact than that.
    Vega uses Java to do the pairings. I understand that computer has not being connected to the internet for a while, so its version of Java would be outdated (probably by several versions). That may be the issue.

CC International Master
    It would be worth checking, but from what you've already posted, I'm sure it's 64-bit.

Vega uses Java to do the pairings. I understand that computer has not being connected to the internet for a while, so its version of Java would be outdated (probably by several versions). That may be the issue.
    My understanding is Vega only needs Java to use JavaFo to do the pairings and if you don't use JavaFo then you don't need to install Java. This seems to suggest that Vega would start up even if the version of Java was outdated, because it can start up without any Java installed, so I have doubts that this is the problem

Thread Information