Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    My understanding is Vega only needs Java to use JavaFo to do the pairings and if you don't use JavaFo then you don't need to install Java. This seems to suggest that Vega would start up even if the version of Java was outdated, because it can start up without any Java installed, so I have doubts that this is the problem
    Correct.
    Vega doesn’t need Java.
    JaVaFo needs Java and it doesn’t need it until you actually do the pairings.

The problem is most likely with Windows and not Vega.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    It would be worth checking, but from what you've already posted, I'm sure it's 64-bit.
    I want to know exactly what version number and build of Win 10 in on that desktop.

Vega uses Java to do the pairings. I understand that computer has not being connected to the internet for a while, so its version of Java would be outdated (probably by several versions). That may be the issue.
    That shouldn’t cause the error code he is getting.
    Given it is probably an early build of Win 10 it could well be an issue with Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages.

He needs to update Win10 to the latest version/build.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC International Master
    I have made a special trip into the chess centre to find out the details of the Windows 10 on the desktop.

Edition: Windows 10 Home
    Version 1803
    Installed on: 12-Sep-18
    OS Build 17134.590

It also says that it is a 64 bit operating system, x64 based processor

Looking at Windows update that says it last checked for updates 13 February 19

CC Grandmaster
    I have made a special trip into the chess centre to find out the details of the Windows 10 on the desktop. ...
    I have a discarded computer of a similar vintage, so I tried installing Vega 8 on that. I had the same outcome as you did (Vega Teams was okay but not Vega 8). However I got a more informative error message: "vcruntime140.dll was not found". This confirms Bill's theory, as one of the suggested solutions is: "Install Visual C++ Redistributable For Visual Studio 2015."

I agree with Bill that the best solution is to update your version of Windows. However, this could be a lengthy process! It might be simpler to use the older version of Vega already on the computer.

CC International Master
    Using the older version might be an option if I had not uninstalled it.

CC International Master
    IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I downloaded and installed the latest Visual C++ Redistributable and now Vega works. Orion also works.

YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Bill and Patrick for your help.

I am so pleased it is fixed.

CC Grandmaster
    IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I downloaded and installed the latest Visual C++ Redistributable and now Vega works. Orion also works.

YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's great! I was worried there might be more issues (apart from Visual C++), but obviously not.

Thank you Bill and Patrick for your help. I am so pleased it is fixed.
    Happy to help. But if you had got the same informative error message I did, you would already have solved it easily.

CC International Master
    More problems with Vega. Not on the SACA computer but a laptop of one of the clubs.

It is a 32-bit system.

It is running Windows 7

The computer has the latest Vega8 32-bit installed.

The computer has the latest version of java installed

Vega8 works but when they try to do pairings using JaVaFo there is an error and it will not do any pairing

Any ideas what could be wrong?

CC Grandmaster
    More problems with Vega. Not on the SACA computer but a laptop of one of the clubs.

It is a 32-bit system. It is running Windows 7 The computer has the latest Vega8 32-bit installed. The computer has the latest version of java installed Vega8 works but when they try to do pairings using JaVaFo there is an error and it will not do any pairing

From the Vega manual (page 51):
    26. I run Windows 7 as user. I created a tournament in the installation directory and JaVaFo (Swiss Dutch system) doesn’t give me the pairing.
    It is normal. Create the folder tournament OUT of that directory, like in c:\myTournaments. Moreover if the problem continues, enter your system as administrator, right click the Vega.exe file and set its property to run always as administrator. This is due to Java (JRE) not having the permission to write the output to the Program folder.

Windows 7 was a great operating system (much better than Windows 8!) but I would seriously advise them to upgrade!

CC International Master
    Thank you Patrick

It is a 32-bit system.

It is running Windows 7

The computer has the latest Vega8 32-bit installed.

The computer has the latest version of java installed

Vega8 works but when they try to do pairings using JaVaFo there is an error and it will not do any pairing

From the Vega manual (page 51):
    26. I run Windows 7 as user. I created a tournament in the installation directory and JaVaFo (Swiss Dutch system) doesn’t give me the pairing.
    It is normal. Create the folder tournament OUT of that directory, like in c:\myTournaments. Moreover if the problem continues, enter your system as administrator, right click the Vega.exe file and set its property to run always as administrator. This is due to Java (JRE) not having the permission to write the output to the Program folder.

Windows 7 was a great operating system (much better than Windows 8!) but I would seriously advise them to upgrade!
    Windows automatically protects system folders like Program files.
    There is no need to run Vega as an administrator as you should not be creating the tournament in the installation directory which resides in Program Files..

Ideally you should be creating tournaments in a sub directory under your Documents folder.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    Windows automatically protects system folders like Program files.
    There is no need to run Vega as an administrator as you should not be creating the tournament in the installation directory which resides in Program Files.

Ideally you should be creating tournaments in a sub directory under your Documents folder.
    They are not creating tournaments in the program folder, but within the Documents folder as you say should happen.

They are not creating tournaments in the program folder, but within the Documents folder as you say should happen.
    Then in that case, if they cannot generate any parings then their is a problem with their Java installation.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    Then in that case, if they cannot generate any parings then their is a problem with their Java installation.
    That seems very possible, as they're running the latest version of Java on Windows 7. However, I can't see any harm in running Vega as administrator, and it may solve the problem.

That seems very possible, as they're running the latest version of Java on Windows 7. However, I can't see any harm in running Vega as administrator, and it may solve the problem.
    Just that if this is a Java issue then running Vega as Administrator shouldn't fix it.

Every time I have seen someone have an issue with JaVaFo not pairing the first round, the issue has been with their Java install.

They should first go to the Control Panel and see if there is an icon for Java.
    If not then Java isn't on the system.
    if it is then click on the Java icon and go to the Java tab. Click View. This will show where Java is installed, the version number and the architecture (x86 or x64).

If this indicates the correct/expected version of Java is installed then run a CMD prompt and just type in the word Java.
    If it says Java isn't recognised as an internal or external command then either Java isn't really installed or its installed incorrectly.
    Re-install Java by downloading from the Java website.
    Run CMD prompt again and Java should now work.

If the CMD prompt originally found Java then re-install Vega.
    If the Vega install cannot see Java on the system then it will inform you.

Thread Information