Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    OMG and FM is 6/9 again? sigh sigh sigh...
    Yes. Last zonal there was one case of a sub-2000 player who was a win away from an FM title without playing anyone of FM strength, but he didn't actually win in the final round. Under the future regulations (should the PB actually ever get around to meeting and approving them) such a player would only be an FM-elect until he got his rating to 2100, which is still quite soft but stops some of the more ridiculous titles.

Anyway, Timergazi has taken a one-point lead in the Women's so is going well for a WIM title.

There are 15 non-FMs on 3/4 or better in the Open so I think we could see quite a few new FMs. It's a large field but it isn't a very strong one at the top.

There should be live games from round 5.
    Currently top 4 boards of both Open and Womens tournaments would be broadcast.

I'm planning to get another 8 boards, totaling up to 12 top boards for the Open broadcasting before games start tomorrow. Just need to purchase a USB to Serial converter in time.
    We've got 1 that gets the present 8 boards connected, need another for remaining 8 boards. Unfortunately the NZCF laptop's serial port seems to have been damaged, so we cannot use the usual route to broadcast games. There were also a couple of faulty connectors and cables that caused all the problems. Thankfully the PSUs overheat failsafe seems to have worked and therefore are still functional.

A big thank you to Barry Martin-Buss (ChessChat handle: Mr Buss) for his massive contribution of effort, equipment and expertise in helping isolate all the faults. Amazingly done all this just so he can watch the live games!
    Without his very much appreciated help, I'd probably still be there at the moment and would probably have just given up.
    IA Keong Ang

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Abraham Lincoln

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Yes. Last zonal there was one case of a sub-2000 player who was a win away from an FM title without playing anyone of FM strength, but he didn't actually win in the final round. Under the future regulations (should the PB actually ever get around to meeting and approving them) such a player would only be an FM-elect until he got his rating to 2100, which is still quite soft but stops some of the more ridiculous titles.

Anyway, Timergazi has taken a one-point lead in the Women's so is going well for a WIM title.

There are 15 non-FMs on 3/4 or better in the Open so I think we could see quite a few new FMs. It's a large field but it isn't a very strong one at the top.

Another point to consider...as Zonal is an event that is run by the Oceania Chess Association...I trust that it is not just the organizers decision to run the event in the current format (with all players being allowed to enter) but it has also been endorsed by ACF, New Zealand Federation etc - otherwise it would not be possible.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Another point to consider...as Zonal is an event that is run by the Oceania Chess Association...I trust that it is not just the organisers decision to run the event in the current format (with all players being allowed to enter) but it has also been endorsed by ACF, New Zealand Federation etc - otherwise it would not be possible.
    Zonal Championships are the responsibility of the Zone president who although is the organiser of the current Zonal, chooses to operate through the Oceania Chess Confederation.

Increased participation in chess events is a goal for Oceania Zone and it is pleasing to have a record turnout for the Zonal that exceeded all expectations.

Having large Open Swiss format is ideal to determine the champion who will qualify for entry into the next stage of the FIDE World Championship cycle. Preferably this will be with an outright top score. If tied between 2 players then the tie would be broken by playoffs, if tied between more than 2 players, then tiebreak calculations would be used and the champion automatically determined by Vega. There would be no playoff if more than 2 players are tied. Current standings according to tiebreak criteria are published and updated at the end of every round.
    Prizemoney would be divided equally between tied players so the only potential situation where tiebreaks are needed is for overall 1st place and who gets the direct IM/WIM titles (up to 3 who reached 1st place if tied).

Hopefully many players will obtain their FM/WFM (6 points up) and CM/WCM titles (4.5 to 5.5 points). It is pleasing to be able to reward players whose participation makes chess events viable.
    IA Keong Ang

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Keong Ang View Post
    There should be live games from round 5.
    Currently top 4 boards of both Open and Womens tournaments would be broadcast.

I'm planning to get another 8 boards, totaling up to 12 top boards for the Open broadcasting before games start tomorrow. Just need to purchase a USB to Serial converter in time.
    We've got 1 that gets the present 8 boards connected, need another for remaining 8 boards. Unfortunately the NZCF laptop's serial port seems to have been damaged, so we cannot use the usual route to broadcast games. There were also a couple of faulty connectors and cables that caused all the problems. Thankfully the PSUs overheat failsafe seems to have worked and therefore are still functional.

A big thank you to Barry Martin-Buss (ChessChat handle: Mr Buss) for his massive contribution of effort, equipment and expertise in helping isolate all the faults. Amazingly done all this just so he can watch the live games!
    Without his very much appreciated help, I'd probably still be there at the moment and would probably have just given up.
    This is great news. I add my thanks to Barry and Keong for their outstanding efforts.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    This is great news. I add my thanks to Barry and Keong for their outstanding efforts.
    Lol, do they get another thank you at the end of the tournament for running it or can we assume that they have been thanked already in the post 69 of the thread?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

All 16 boards live now. Top 12 Open and top 4 Womens.
    Hope you all enjoy it.

Since it took so much effort to make them live, I'm absolutely ruthless in making sure absolutely no liquids are on the liveboard tables. I don't care if enforcement causes offense (or major distraction that negatively affects games) but these accursed liveboards have exhausted all patience and tolerance.
    IA Keong Ang

All 16 boards live now. Top 12 Open and top 4 Womens.
    Hope you all enjoy it.
    Yes, thank you.
    meep meep

Great to have the boards working. Well done all.

I assume the feed stopped on move 16 of Hague - Kris Chan as there is no reason for black to resign there.

CC Candidate Master

Current standings according to tiebreak criteria are published and updated at the end of every round.
    A feature of good management.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Great to have the boards working. Well done all.

I assume the feed stopped on move 16 of Hague - Kris Chan as there is no reason for black to resign there.
    Must have done - the scoresheets go up to move 27.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    http://respectrum.nz - Major sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_Hall View Post
    Must have done - the scoresheets go up to move 27.
    Full game is showing now.

Kathryn Hardegen has beaten Timergazi in 96 moves throwing the Women's Zonal wide open with 4 players (these two, Chibnall and Joy Shu Yan Qin) all on 4/5.

CC FIDE Master
    There will be a Lightning on Thursday morning (19 January) for anyone interested - organiser and Chief Arbiter is myself. Details:

Venue: Horizon Lounge / Banquet Room 1 (same room as the Zonal)

Tournament Format: Unrated 9 Round Swiss paired with Vega. Published ratings will be used for pairing purposes and grade prizes (if applicable) in the following order: FIDE blitz; FIDE rapid; national rapid; national standard. Different format may be used if 16 or fewer entries received.

Time Control: Fischer time control of 3 mins + 2 secs/move increment

Entries: Please register with Craig Hall or by writing your name on the sign-up sheet on the Arbiter’s desk. Early registration is encouraged but players are welcome to enter on the day up until 8:30am.

Entry Fee: NZ$20 or AUS$20 – exact change is appreciated! GM/WGM/IM/WIM free – entry fee will be deducted from prizes won.

Timetable
    • Playing Hall opens - 8:00am
    • Entries/registrations close - 8:30am
    • Players’ Meeting 8:45am – 8:55am (approx.)
    • Round 1 - 9:00am

Players not present at the Players’ Meeting may not be paired in the first round. Pairings will be done and the next rounds started following the completion of the previous rounds. Prizegiving will follow the conclusion of the tournament.

Prizes
    The prize fund will be entry fees less expenses. Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 places – amounts will be announced during the tournament. Other prizes including grade prizes will be added if numbers allow.

Laws of Chess
    Standard Laws of Chess will apply with the necessary modifications for blitz as outlined at Appendices A and B. Appendix B4 will apply. Additional regulations may be announced at the Players’ Meeting.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    http://respectrum.nz - Major sponsor

Timergazi back in the sole lead in the Women's Zonal as Hardegen and Chibnall have drawn.

Thread Information