Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

2017 Oceania Zonal in Auckland

January 14th-20th 2017 - Oceania Zonal, Auckland.
    The prestigious FIDE World Championship qualifying competitions, open to all players from Oceania Federations. Venue: Waipuna Conference Centre, Mount Wellington, Auckland: book at special rates using the code OCEA0117; phone 0800 924 786 or email res@waipunahotel.co.nz. Hosted by the New Zealand Chess Federation. Enquiries to Chief Organiser Paul Spiller on spillerfamily.enterprise@xtra.co.nz. This event will be a Poison Pawn Grand Prix event.
    Those entering from outside New Zealand can pay at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/?p=...nts&site=chess in Australian dollars, by Paypal or credit card.

Check the NZCF Calendar page for further information and entry form download:
    http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/calendar.html

CC Candidate Master
    I read that QC passed a requirement for winners of direct titles have to first get their rating within 200 points of that title's level. When does this come into effect. Would the new changes apply to this tournament in terms of direct titles award (CM, FM, IM)?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverHollow View Post
    I read that QC passed a requirement for winners of direct titles have to first get their rating within 200 points of that title's level. When does this come into effect. Would the new changes apply to this tournament in terms of direct titles award (CM, FM, IM)?
    It still has to be ratified by the GA, which might overturn it in the case of CM/WCM. If it is ratified I can't see anything saying the effect is delayed, but I'll check that at the next session if I get a chance.

The new regulations will come into effect only from 1 July 2017. So titles at the Zonal will not be affected whatever decision the GA makes. So the organisers can use the last chance for an unrestricted CM title factor as a selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    It still has to be ratified by the GA, which might overturn it in the case of CM/WCM. If it is ratified I can't see anything saying the effect is delayed, but I'll check that at the next session if I get a chance.
    It would actually be a reasonable rule though.
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    What do you mean by overturn in terms of CM/WCM. So it means the 200 points under rule won't apply to CM/WCM? But still apply to FM/IM?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverHollow View Post
    What do you mean by overturn in terms of CM/WCM. So it means the 200 points under rule won't apply to CM/WCM? But still apply to FM/IM?
    That is possible. The Development Commission head is objecting to applying it to CM/WCM. We won't know the answer for a few months at least as the final decision has been referred to Presidential Board. But in any case the Auckland Zonal is not affected.

CC Candidate Master
    Hi Kevin I'm a junior and need to show my dad where the fide rules say that 4.5/9 in this particular zonal will get you the CM title could you send me an email at sicky219@gmail.com ?
    could you link something to my email or something

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junior View Post
    Hi Kevin I'm a junior and need to show my dad where the fide rules say that 4.5/9 in this particular zonal will get you the CM title could you send me an email at sicky219@gmail.com ?

Thanks
    Email sent.

CC Grandmaster

Thanks
    Lol - Great way of using chess titles for ''crowdfunding''
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thanks
    Post of the year!!!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Lol - Great way of using chess titles for ''crowdfunding''
    Just don't tell the Qualification Commission that. It's partly the huge number of Oceania CM titles from last time that has driven them to try to bring in the restriction after this one.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    Post of the year!!!
    Most admirable, looks things up!

CC Candidate Master
    I'm sorry but my dad know's hardly anything about chess and he wants me to play in a strong tournement . but he doesnt understand ratings and when i explained them to him he didnt quite get them , but the only thing he knows a bit about is chess titles he knows that once your in a tournement that allows you to get a master title is counted as a strong tournement or a tournement that has many titled players but i cant find the entries page so i cant prove to him that there are strong people playing in this tourney!

but anyway thanks kevin for the link you sent me !

CC Candidate Master
    I'm sorry but my dad know's hardly anything about chess and he wants me to play in a strong tournement . but he doesnt understand ratings and when i explained them to him he didnt quite get them , but the only thing he knows a bit about is chess titles he knows that once your in a tournement that allows you to get a master title is counted as a strong tournement or a tournement that has many titled players but i cant find the entries page so i cant prove to him that there are strong people playing in this tourney!

but anyway thanks kevin for the link you sent me !

Yea agreed, would look to see the entry list too

Thread Information