Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    I wonder how long before it will be necessary for top players to take a handicap against the computer. In chess, top players like Nakamura can't beat the best computers even with pawn and move. Top go players Cho Chikun and Hideo Otaki believed that they would need 3 stones to play God (i.e. a perfect Go player), and probably 4 if life was at stake, and even then that might not be enough.
    An improved version of AlphaGo, playing as Master(P), recently beat 60 top pros in a row in rapid go. The top humans may well need a handicap to have a chance now.
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”—Milton Friedman

“If a private enterprise is a failure, it is closed down—unless it can get a government subsidy to keep it going; if a government enterprise is a failure, it is expanded. I challenge you to find exceptions.”—Milton Friedman

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    AlphaGo is old news now

https://www.newscientist.com/article...ebpush-AlphaGo

Make way for AlphaGo Zero, which in three days taught itself to play Go so well that it beat the version that beat Sedol 100-0.

Here is Haylee (Korean 4 dan pro Lee Ha-jin) discussing one of those games:

“A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”—Milton Friedman

“If a private enterprise is a failure, it is closed down—unless it can get a government subsidy to keep it going; if a government enterprise is a failure, it is expanded. I challenge you to find exceptions.”—Milton Friedman

RIP Sugiuchi Masao (1920–21 Nov 2017), aged 97, the oldest active Go professional who played only just last year against a player 80 years younger. In the 1960s, he was probably one of the top half-dozen in the world. He was nicknamed Go no Kami-sama (‘God of Go’) apparently because of his very serious nature.

He didn't make it to a century, unfortunately, unlike the greatest Go player of the 20th century, Go Seigen (Chinese: Wú Qīng yuán, 12 June 1914 – 30 November 2014).
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 27-11-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Thread Information