Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Grandmaster

Why are we not intersted in having a Chess League in Australia?

Inspired by another chess culture post by Kevin (Bulletins).

Worldwide - team tournaments are backbones of chess life. Ever European country has a team championship usually consisting of many divisions. Top division players get paid for their efforts. In other divisions - players have fun representing their respective clubs. Likewise, there is now a league in the US and almost every Asian country has a team cheampionship as well. In Australia, we have no such events. Furthermore, I think the reason we do not have a chess league is not solely becouse there is nobody prepared to run such an event/events, but also because there is limited interested among the clubs. Even at state level, here in Victoria we do not even have a state league! A couple of years ago Carl Gorka tried to revive interclub and it was not easy. So why are we not into team chess while other nations are? Is there a particular reason? Also, I may be wrong but I think our NZ neibours also do not have a national team championship.

P.S and we do not have national junior team championship, team championship between the states etc (just interschool).
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Australia does have a teams tournament. See https://www.iccf.com/event?id=52913

CC International Master
    I think an issue is that in Australia chess is seen more as an individual sport, except at the Olympiad which is viewed as special. Certainly in Europe there are big team events though they seem to consist mainly of players jetting in from Russia, Ukraine etc, being driven to the venue and playing against various other multinationals, and then departing a few hours later, with points added according to some fairly arbitrary allegiances.

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    Inter-town summer chess..... and the prize is the best two teams get to go to the Gold Coast or somewhere nice to play the in the grand final
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones View Post
    Australia does have a teams tournament. See https://www.iccf.com/event?id=52913
    This is correspondence chess! Different story!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I think distance is a big problem for a national clubs tournament in Australia, in a way in which it is not for European nations that tend to be geographically compact. It is also notable though that Interclub isn't that much of a thing even in the big cities.

CC Candidate Master
    Interclub competition is still alive in Sydney. The "Grade Matches" as they are called have been going for decades and will run again this year. Their popularity is diminishing gradually, however, as Sydney becomes increasingly congested and people find other things to do on weeknights. But we're hanging in there.

CC Grandmaster
    But in Europe interst in Interclub is growing I believe. For example, number of divisions in most of the countries is increasing

CC Candidate Master
    Are there not schools competitions? I know when I lived in Sydney there was a schools league in which my kids played.
    I think you are right about the distance factor. I played in leagues in the Scotland, England and Wales at various times. Generally you could get to an away destination in under an hour - which made week-night play feasible. I can't see that being doable in Australia. I guess the kids games have a much shorter time limit.
    Why not internet chess leagues - cheating should not be a major concern these days.

Yes, there are very well attended schools teams conpetitions in NSW. Well organised by the NSWJCL.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Yes, there are very well attended schools teams conpetitions in NSW. Well organised by the NSWJCL.
    Again, having schools playing other schools is different from national team championships. In fact, what some countries do. they have top divsion where strongest clubs play, and other divisions are based on regions the teams belong to. For example, could have Victorian Division, NSW divison, Tasmanian division.

Various factors combine for the decline of the team / interclub concept.
    Staging such a competition on a state, let alone national form could be very hard these days.
    Number of individual tournaments has increased dramatically these days.
    It would require a real aficionado without family (or even professional) responsibilities to parcicipate.
    In Melbourne alone we have at least ten (that I can think of) weekly competitions running concurrently.
    Add to that local and national weekenders, as well as state and national championships.
    Really very hard to add more into a person's / club's / association's schedule.
    A spectre is haunting over our chess reality. The spectre of the overworked, uncrecognised
    and sometimes even unjustly criticised volunteer club official who can simply not
    be loaded with more responsibilities.
    Oh I nearly forgot the internet factor.
    Various chess related websites provide excellent opportunities to play
    against others either on an individual and/or team member for free.
    I greatly support the interclub concept.
    I escaped from hospital the evening after a serious throat operation
    with surgical mask and part of the tube still stuck through my nose
    in order to play interclub (I won that game too hehe)!
    The concept is great but unfortunately is declining.
    Not sure if the online solution could be used as an effort to revive it!
    Last edited by ER; 25-01-2016 at 03:01 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

CC International Master Carl Gorka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    I think an issue is that in Australia chess is seen more as an individual sport, except at the Olympiad which is viewed as special. Certainly in Europe there are big team events though they seem to consist mainly of players jetting in from Russia, Ukraine etc, being driven to the venue and playing against various other multinationals, and then departing a few hours later, with points added according to some fairly arbitrary allegiances.
    That's funny, as all the older generation I've met in Melbourne talk about Interclub with fond memories. As a lot of juniors represent their schools, the younger generation are also not immune to the charms of team chess. And yes, everyone would love to rep their country, or I guess if it happened, their state.

Aussies in Europe play team chess, and seem to have a great time doing so. Smerdon plays in Germany, Justin Tan and Wallace in England. By the way congrats to Justin for 1.5 over this weekend in the 4NCL and it interesting that while he plays for Oxford, Wallace plays for the other big Uni town Cambridge. As for your assertion about starts being jetted in, go look at the 4NCL this weekend, at the team line up's and see how many stars were brought in.

In my opinion, and that's based on trying to revive a teams competition in Victoria, people want it, and would play in it, if it was a simple format, and fitted into the tight schedule that we have. Unfortunately, no one can be bothered to run it, and that is the main problem.
    I've never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

I'm trying out a new blog site...
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

Victorian Team Championships

CC International Master
    I had already suggested this concept to some of my colleagues a couple of years ago, and I don't see why an internet-based Australian Chess League team event (in similar fashion to the USCL done on ICC) can't work. The main danger is the obvious risk of players cheating in various forms, but the event can be unrated to partially solve this problem (not to mention that games on online chess servers are checked for engine cheating in any case).

It would be very easy to organise and implement:

1. Set up a webpage for the tournament, inviting teams (4 boards, maximum 8 players) to enter by a certain date. Entry would be free, but once the cut-off date is reached the teams cannot be changed. Also there should be a rating average limit of 2250 for the 4 boards to ensure one team cannot dominate the competition. Finally teams have to play in exact rating order (based on FIDE rating, or if the player doesn't have a FIDE rating, ACF rating).

2. Run each round on a weekly basis through the Chess.com server (you can create an account and play there for free), with a choice between a weekday evening time and a weekend afternoon time to ensure a team can field players on all four boards. Players could use an account named for the tournament, e.g. 'Bullwinkle-1' for the Board 1 of the 'Bullwinkle' team. Furthermore, if neither team is willing to compromise on a time, the match would be double-forfeited.

3. Keep results up to date on the webpage. Use match points to determine the winner with a tie-break of board points.

4. The winning team is given the title 'Australian Chess League Champions' or such.

I think such a system would be very effective in providing chess activity through some of the 'quiet periods' as far as Australian tournaments go. Obviously it can be improved a lot with sponsorship and the details can be ironed out over time, but I think it's best to not obsess too much about making it perfect the first time and just create something with the potential for development each year.

I might add that this is not entirely new, I recall a similar event (only individual) being held between junior players over ICC in 2005 or 2006.
    Grandmaster, FIDE Trainer, 2018-19 Australian Champion

Do you love your chess as much as I do?

What is your chess dream?

Are you willing to do what it takes?

Everyone who is an expert at something now...learned from another expert.

Share your chess journey with me – illingworthchess@gmail.com – and I’ll give you my 7-Page Basic Chess Training Plan, to direct your chess training and improvement.

CC Grandmaster
    I agree with Max. It can be played online. Another option, having it held as round robin between winners of state leagues over a weekend...kind of fide-rated superfinal Hopefully at least some sponsorship could be attracted if teams are named after small..or not so small businesses. In any case, this could be the start.

Thread Information