Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 104
  1. #61
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    One of the main reasons I booked Shannon into the Mercure, was because I didn't want her wandering around at night on her own, looking for food.

    The least the hotel could have done, before sending a young girl on a 1/2 hour trek through the snow, was to have phoned the Arlberg and made sure she could get dinner there. This is supposed to be a 4.5 star hotel, with certain service standards.
    I think I have finally worked out how to include quotes in this darn reply thingy.

    ANY organisation, especially one in the hospitality industry, looks out for its clients. They are potentially repeat business. So, yes, the hotel should have organised something for its paying guest, whether she be a young lady or an old gentleman, and not expecting that guest to wander out into a cold dark night to fend for themselves.

    And the point should clearly be made to the management of the hotel which should also be made aware that the situation will be/has been reported to the organisers of the chess tournament.

    I would not expect the organisers of the tournament to act on behalf of the hotel's guest in this situation but I do believe that they should be made aware of the matter. After all, it is they who are relying on the good will of their constituents to make the tournament an enjoyable one but at the same time also relying upon the sponsors to assist in that aspect.

    For the staff of the hotel to act in the manner in which your daughter suggests they did is detrimental to the overall objectives of a sponsor and the organisers of this chess tournament. Difficult enough endeavour without getting participants really, really pissed off!

    And that flaming car is still there!! Could somebody move it from one side of the photo frame to the other just to prove it is not a monument of some sort.

  2. #62
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Harrison
    So, yes, the hotel should have organised something for its paying guest, whether she be a young lady or an old gentleman, and not expecting that guest to wander out into a cold dark night to fend for themselves.
    agreed

    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Harrison
    I would not expect the organisers of the tournament to act on behalf of the hotel's guest in this situation but I do believe that they should be made aware of the matter. After all, it is they who are relying on the good will of their constituents to make the tournament an enjoyable one but at the same time also relying upon the sponsors to assist in that aspect.
    They read the BB, so no doubt will come across it. I think the Mercure will be even more full for the Juniors, so hopefully the staff will be told that sending guests out into the snow, is not a very PR friendly thing to do. I actually found the staff very helpful when I was there for the schools, so just a bit of thoughtlessness by someone. They are probably so used to snow, that they didn't perceive it as bad weather.

    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Harrison

    For the staff of the hotel to act in the manner in which your daughter suggests they did is detrimental to the overall objectives of a sponsor and the organisers of this chess tournament. Difficult enough endeavour without getting participants really, really pissed off!
    Yes - this is the bit the organisers seemed to have missed. Good PR is essential if this is going to be supported in the future. Just telling people they have to support it for the future good of chess is not enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Harrison

    And that flaming car is still there!! Could somebody move it from one side of the photo frame to the other just to prove it is not a monument of some sort.
    I promise to stand there and wave when I am up for the juniors - just so we can be sure it is a live feed!

  3. #63
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    59

    A picture says it all

    From today's Melbourne Age. A photograph of Mount Buller yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #64
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Picton, The Dilly, NSW
    Posts
    2,933
    If you have a look at the article it says that it is a freak cold snap and should return to normal in the next couple of days
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

  5. #65
    Account Suspended Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    If you have a look at the article it says that it is a freak cold snap and should return to normal in the next couple of days
    NORMAL - (From my booklet) so we can all consider ourselves told ...

    MT BULLER WEATHER
    source - http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_083024.shtml
    Average daily maximum temperature for January - 16.3 degrees
    Highest recorded January temperature - 27.5 degrees
    Average daily minimum temperature for January - 7.8 degrees
    Lowest recorded January temperature (minimum) - -3.5 degrees
    Average January temperature at 9am - 11.2 degrees
    Average daily temperature at 3pm - 14.5 degrees
    Average January rainfall - 82.8mm
    Average number of rainy days for January - 6.8
    Average number of clear days in January - 8.6
    Average number of cloudy days in January - 9.4 days
    Itís not unheard of to have snow in Mt Buller in Summer and the highest (daily)
    rainfall ever recorded is a whopping 101.6mm! Make sure you pack for the fresh
    alpine climate!

  6. #66
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    234

    Round 1 games

    Games from round 1 can be seen at http://www.chessnetwork.com/ncn/b/austop05r1.htm

    Presumably they'll be on the Mt Buller site too, but I can't see them yet.

    cheers - PaulB
    cheers - paulb

  7. #67
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Picton, The Dilly, NSW
    Posts
    2,933
    they are available in cb format on the website.
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

  8. #68
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    If you have a look at the article it says that it is a freak cold snap and should return to normal in the next couple of days
    Weather forecast for the period most interesting to you - probably very dodgy as weather forecasts always are.

    Mt Buller

    Sat 1st - min 4 Max 24 wind 14km/hr
    Sun 2nd - min 2 max 14 wind 14km/hr
    Mon 3rd - min 0 Max 15 wind 7 km/hr
    Tues 4th - min 2 Max 15 wind 7 km/hr

    Now for we Canberrans, that is a return to warm weather, but for others it might still be a touch chilly.

  9. #69
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Picton, The Dilly, NSW
    Posts
    2,933
    Very interesting. Thanks jenni
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

  10. #70
    chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,186
    Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    they are available in cb format on the website.
    pgn

  11. #71
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Harrison

    And that flaming car is still there!! Could somebody move it from one side of the photo frame to the other just to prove it is not a monument of some sort.

    This one seems to show folks walking around after each REFRESH.

  12. #72
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    This one seems to show folks walking around after each REFRESH.
    Village square is very near the Mercure - in fact where the cars are parked on the right hand side would be almost at the Mercure.

    The tennis courts are between the ABOM and a lot of the lodges (and almost at Heli house where George and others are staying). Would be pretty deserted around there.

  13. #73
    Account Suspended Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Village square is very near the Mercure - in fact where the cars are parked on the right hand side would be almost at the Mercure.

    The tennis courts are between the ABOM and a lot of the lodges (and almost at Heli house where George and others are staying). Would be pretty deserted around there.
    I know we've gotten past this topic but this graph gives you a pretty good sense of why people were feeling a bit chilly. Shows the past 24 hours. The bit that stood out for me was seeing a fairly steep acceleration in the graph then realising it was only getting up to 8 degrees at it's highest point. BRRR http://www.ski.com.au/weather/stations/buller.html

  14. #74
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Picton, The Dilly, NSW
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    ... the only automatic teller she could find is out of order. She has already lent half her money to Sherab, so I think she is only going to be able to eat by charging it to the room (good way to get Mum to pay)
    .

    I know that another one has been found.... But what is the status on the ATM front? should i take money with me into MTb or should i leave the money in the bank? is the atm going to run out of money or what?????
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

  15. #75
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,060
    Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    .

    I know that another one has been found.... But what is the status on the ATM front? should i take money with me into MTb or should i leave the money in the bank? is the atm going to run out of money or what?????
    i would advise taking money with you into mtb.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mt Buller Australian Minor Chess Championships
    By cincinnatus in forum Mt Buller Chess
    Replies: 202
    Last Post: 24-01-2005, 02:44 PM
  2. Mt Buller - Chess World letter to ACF
    By ChessGuru in forum Mt Buller Chess
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: 17-07-2004, 11:58 AM
  3. Replies: 395
    Last Post: 16-07-2004, 02:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •