Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 104
  1. #46
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,046
    This is really awful! Just horrible. All those poor people, especially the vulnerable kids suffering from exposure. Will the parents be organising the biggest air drop of winter supplies since . . . since . . .well since the biggest joke that was the Mt Nowhere Aus Open tournament? Just say and charge it out to the organisers.

    Beautiful Mt Buller! Ha...beautiful! What a joke!

    AR

  2. #47
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    This is really awful! Just horrible. All those poor people, especially the vulnerable kids suffering from exposure. Will the parents be organising the biggest air drop of winter supplies since . . . since . . .well since the biggest joke that was the Mt Nowhere Aus Open tournament? Just say and charge it out to the organisers.

    Beautiful Mt Buller! Ha...beautiful! What a joke!
    The only joke is you, Amiel. Suggesting the organisers are to blame for the turn in the weather and lack of forethought by some competitors. Pull yer head in, mate.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  3. #48
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    Suggesting the organisers are to blame for the turn in the weather and lack of forethought by some competitors. Pull yer head in, mate.
    Nah mate, nah...you're the joke for I made no such suggestion. That's the problem when your overeducated, you think too much and get into headspins.

    Get this, they overpromised, communicated poorly and badly planned. For if they had done all those things right, then we wouldn't have people freezin' their butts off.

    Now go away and don't think too hard.

    AR

  4. #49
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Picton, The Dilly, NSW
    Posts
    2,935
    ^^^^

    good one Bazza!

    Hey arosar, there is a difference between beautiful and freezing.
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

  5. #50
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Get this, they overpromised, communicated poorly and badly planned. For if they had done all those things right, then we wouldn't have people freezin' their butts off.
    Travelling to alpine areas you have to be prepared any sort of weather. So I think you need to back your claims with some evidence. Without it your just unnecessarily displacing air that should have be left where it was.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  6. #51
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,046
    Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    Hey arosar, there is a difference between beautiful and freezing.
    Uumm....yeah? And?

    AR

  7. #52
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    59
    You just have to like these guys. Start off as the best of enemies and end up the worst of friends. In fact, they get on like a house on fire in that the relationship burns down to the ground and finishes in the cellar!

    Anyway there is nothing wrong with the venue being at Mount Buller that a little climate change, a few shops, medical and transport facilities and some fast food resturants couldn't fix.

  8. #53
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    The only joke is you, Amiel. Suggesting the organisers are to blame for the turn in the weather and lack of forethought by some competitors. Pull yer head in, mate.
    Well the lack of clothes is definitely the competitors' fault. Tamzin and Gareth are being very irritatingly smug at the moment and making comments like "we told her it was cold".

    However the food is another issue. We've been led to believe that anyone staying at the Mercure would be looked after, while people staying at the lodges/apartments would be second class citizens and take their chances. I've lost track of how many e-mails I've had from George emphasising how wonderful life will be for Mercurees.

    One of the main reasons I booked Shannon into the Mercure, was because I didn't want her wandering around at night on her own, looking for food.

    The least the hotel could have done, before sending a young girl on a 1/2 hour trek through the snow, was to have phoned the Arlberg and made sure she could get dinner there. This is supposed to be a 4.5 star hotel, with certain service standards.

    While the problems with the hotel are not the organisers fault, the two bodies are so closely tied together, it is hard to divorce responsibility.

  9. #54
    Account Suspended Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    The only joke is you, Amiel. Suggesting the organisers are to blame for the turn in the weather and lack of forethought by some competitors. Pull yer head in, mate.
    Outside of this forum, I don't know how much effort has been put in to inform people about Mt Buller. I guess it doesn't really sell the event to say -

    Really, Really Cold (for Summer) on many days and about 16 degrees on a good day

    No shop

    Very few places to eat and most are restaurant, rather than Macca's, prices (and some only open late in the week or on weekends)

    etc etc


    I have wondered about the self-sufficiency of chessplayers who moaned about the cost of the Mercure and couldn't find a website like www.mtbuller.com.au to explore other options but this is an unusual location for a chess event. Many non-Victorians don't know what it is and even trying to explain to the non-Victorians using comparisons like "Thredbo" only works if people ski, or have been to the Alps in summer.

    More info in the booklets and on the website would have been good. Then you could blame the player's themselves for failing to read what was put in front of them. Otherwise there is, at the very least, shared responsibility.

    I have an info booklet for the Juniors. It's 20 pages about facilities, activities, temperatures, shopping etc. It's been created in Publisher. If anyone wants a copy I can email it to you (sorry -it's big and I usually send it in 6 sections) or even snail-mail a version. Drop me a PM.

    And it's completely UNOFFICIAL so any shortcomings should not reflect adversely on the organisers.

    Libby

  10. #55
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    The least the hotel could have done, before sending a young girl on a 1/2 hour trek through the snow, was to have phoned the Arlberg and made sure she could get dinner there. This is supposed to be a 4.5 star hotel, with certain service standards.

    While the problems with the hotel are not the organisers fault, the two bodies are so closely tied together, it is hard to divorce responsibility.
    Yes, I would say this was an operational issue and not sure that reasonable organisers would have anticipated it. However, Amiel's post (which I was objecting to) was primarily in regard to the weather, which has been unseasonal and certainly no fault of the organisers.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  11. #56
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701

    another improvement

    Shannon has located the second Mt Buller ATM (at Cow Camp Plaza), and it is operational.

  12. #57
    Account Suspended Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Shannon has located the second Mt Buller ATM (at Cow Camp Plaza), and it is operational.
    But nowhere to buy shoes? What good is money if you can't go shoe-shopping? I know Shannon is a fellow devotee ...

  13. #58
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    59
    Yes, well. She certainly needs to buy shoes - preferably snow ones - so that she can tromp through the slush to get something to eat (somewhere) in order to gain strength to go and purchase warm clothes. Even I can see the logic in that.

    PS: Well done on the draw. Wish they had progressive scores on the official web-site but I suppose we will just have to be patient.

  14. #59
    Account Suspended Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Harrison
    Yes, well. She certainly needs to buy shoes - preferably snow ones - so that she can tromp through the slush to get something to eat (somewhere) in order to gain strength to go and purchase warm clothes. Even I can see the logic in that.
    Shoe shoppers are without logic. Shannon, I am sure, would pass over the snow shoes for another pair of lovely sandals to replace those ruined in the trek last night. Sadly, so would I.

  15. #60
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Libby
    Shoe shoppers are without logic. Shannon, I am sure, would pass over the snow shoes for another pair of lovely sandals to replace those ruined in the trek last night. Sadly, so would I.
    Tony made the point that her stilletos would probably be quite good, as they would keep her above the snow.....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mt Buller Australian Minor Chess Championships
    By cincinnatus in forum Mt Buller Chess
    Replies: 202
    Last Post: 24-01-2005, 02:44 PM
  2. Mt Buller - Chess World letter to ACF
    By ChessGuru in forum Mt Buller Chess
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: 17-07-2004, 11:58 AM
  3. Replies: 395
    Last Post: 16-07-2004, 02:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •