Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 104
  1. #31
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701

    it gets better

    Todays report from Shannon

    .... George Xie has only brought T-shirts and shorts

    ..... She found Tomek and Alex wandering around saying "but there must be somewere to eat"

    ... the only automatic teller she could find is out of order. She has already lent half her money to Sherab, so I think she is only going to be able to eat by charging it to the room (good way to get Mum to pay)

    .... on the bright side, it is a little warmer today

  2. #32
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    59
    Warmer? I'm afraid not. At 1:00 pm it was 0 degrees and the wind was 12 knts. This results in a wind chill factor of -10.6 degrees. Yes, you did read that correctly minus 10.6 degrees.

    No warm clothes, nothing to eat and no money! hehe. Life's grand aint it?

  3. #33
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    399
    anybody know if the live thing going on today?!
    eg. http://www.mtbullerchess.com/live/tfd.htm
    just wondering.

  4. #34
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Picton, The Dilly, NSW
    Posts
    2,935
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Todays report from Shannon

    .... George Xie has only brought T-shirts and shorts

    ..... She found Tomek and Alex wandering around saying "but there must be somewere to eat"

    ... the only automatic teller she could find is out of order. She has already lent half her money to Sherab, so I think she is only going to be able to eat by charging it to the room (good way to get Mum to pay)

    .... on the bright side, it is a little warmer today
    << makes mental note to take warm clothes and withdraw money before getting to MT B....
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

  5. #35
    CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    << makes mental note to take warm clothes and withdraw money before getting to MT B....
    Bring some loaves of bread along and sell them on the mountain for $10 each.

  6. #36
    Account Suspended Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    Bring some loaves of bread along and sell them on the mountain for $10 each.
    You can actually buy bread up there - only $4 a loaf from the Arlberg.

  7. #37
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Todays report from Shannon

    .... George Xie has only brought T-shirts and shorts

    ..... She found Tomek and Alex wandering around saying "but there must be somewere to eat"

    ... the only automatic teller she could find is out of order. She has already lent half her money to Sherab, so I think she is only going to be able to eat by charging it to the room (good way to get Mum to pay)

    .... on the bright side, it is a little warmer today
    Looks like the daily shuttle bus for the "short" (48km) distance to Mansfield will be in big demand! Hopefully the shops in Mansfield have lots of warm clothes in stock (and the players have brought lots of money with them)!

    Anyway, I hope for everyone's sake that things (ie once the chess starts) get better at Mt Buller! Otherwise Arosar (Amiel) will literally have a field day on this forum!

    BTW, is there a GP and Chemist at Mt Buller? If what Jenni says about the temperature fluctuations from day to day are correct (and I have no doubt they are), there could be lots of colds (requiring pennicillin, Vibramyacin etc) going around!

  8. #38
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    BTW, is there a GP and Chemist at Mt Buller? If what Jenni says about the temperature fluctuations from day to day are correct (and I have no doubt they are), there could be lots of colds (requiring pennicillin, Vibramyacin etc) going around!
    er no! Not in summer. Winter has a full medical clinic and St John's first aid centre, but it is closed. Arlberg Mini-mart sells panadol, but anything else means a trip to Mansfield.

    Shannon does have a medical kit with her. I should have concentrated more on clothing and less on dettol, bandaids, stingose etc

  9. #39
    CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,965
    Does anyone know if there is any public internet access at Buller? I doubt there would be any Internet Cafes but what about the hotels - do any provide access and is there a charge? Thanks.

    W.E.

  10. #40
    Account Suspended Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    Looks like the daily shuttle bus for the "short" (48km) distance to Mansfield will be in big demand! Hopefully the shops in Mansfield have lots of warm clothes in stock (and the players have brought lots of money with them)!

    BTW, is there a GP and Chemist at Mt Buller? If what Jenni says about the temperature fluctuations from day to day are correct (and I have no doubt they are), there could be lots of colds (requiring pennicillin, Vibramyacin etc) going around!
    Daily shuttle? Maybe for the open. The Juniors are getting a shuttle on 3 days only and it seats 22 people.

    I know a lot of ACT people were planning to use it so there may be more botting lifts off people with a car than trips on the free shuttle.

    And the Juniors remember, are there in the projected, or better than projected numbers. 160+ players who are substantially there with accompanying parents, siblings, coaches etc.

    From my Mt Buller Booklet contacts in Mansfield for

    Doctor (03) 5777 6185 or (03) 5775 2111
    Ambulance 000 or 133 009
    Chemist (03) 5775 1311

  11. #41
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    For the sake of all those at Mt Buller, I hope things improve with both the organising and the weather!!! At least the chess has now started (and based on my past experience with Charles Zworestine, at least the "chess part" of the tournament should be fine)!

    Anyway, weather in Sydney has been quite pleasant during the last 4 days - mostly fine (but with a little rain) and temperatures generally ranging from 15 deg C (night) to 25 deg C (day). Certainly weatherwise I'm glad I am in Sydney rather than at Mt Buller (BTW, I had no idea it could get to -2 deg C in Summer there!).

    Libby, I may be well have been wrong about the daily Mt Buller to/from Mansfield shuttle bus during the Open - I had assumed there was/is a daily service based on something I had read (or misread!).

    I don't really want to "rub salt into the wound", but it appears that some of the things I (and others) had been led to believe about Mt Buller do not appear to be the case. Anyway, I guess once the Open and Juniors is over, we will see what those participants (and in the case of Juniors their parents) have to say.........................should make for interesting reading on this bulletin board......................
    Last edited by Paul S; 28-12-2004 at 04:01 PM.

  12. #42
    Account Suspended Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    Libby, I may be well have been wrong about the daily Mt Buller to/from Mansfield shuttle bus during the Open - I had assumed there was/is a daily service based on something I had read (or misread!).
    Yes - there was a daily shuttle promised but even I thought that might be a little excessive and perhaps an unneccesary cost to organisers. I suggested every second day and Peter Richardson (from the Mercure) sent me an email in late Nov/early Dec which said an every second day shuttle had been arranged by the chess organisers. (I had been a pest and asked him what he knew about the shuttle arrangements because nobody from the committee would answer my questions about it! )

    More recently, when I pressed for details on when/how etc - Garvin posted the three dates only for the Juniors.

    Maybe it will be enough - who knows? What I do know is we organised a bus from Canberra bringing 24 players & family members. Those people considered their best transport options and opted for the bus option back when they understood they would have a daily, or alternate daily, shuttle to Mansfield if they needed it. Fortunately we have another group of players & parents driving down or sharing the drive down, and no doubt they can help with trips to Mansfield.

    I know you wouldn't normally expect free shuttle buses to get you around at a chess tournament but you wouldn't normally be expected to play in a location without a shop!

    As I said, the juniors have the numbers there and yet the services promised were reduced anyway. Something I could certainly understand if the shuttle was poorly patronised in it's first couple of outings, but it is difficult to swallow before we even get started.

  13. #43
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    59
    At 4:30 pm the air temperature was 1.1 degrees and the wind from the South at 15 knts. Wind chill factor as a result is -11.2 degrees. I would hazard a guess that as a result it is a touch on the cool side at Mount Buller! Been caught out up there one before. Never again.

    By the way, is that bloody car a permanent fixture or is it a lost skiers who was never found?

  14. #44
    Account Suspended Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Harrison
    At 4:30 pm the air temperature was 1.1 degrees and the wind from the South at 15 knts. Wind chill factor as a result is -11.2 degrees. I would hazard a guess that as a result it is a touch on the cool side at Mount Buller! Been caught out up there one before. Never again.

    By the way, is that bloody car a permanent fixture or is it a lost skiers who was never found?
    I think it gives off the illusion of people being present - never actually spotted a living thing on any of the webcams. Maybe we should encourage those in Mt Buller to stand within shot - could get some interesting pictures if the right mood takes them. Probably no streakers if it's -11.2, except the very self-assured variety.

  15. #45
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Harrison
    By the way, is that bloody car a permanent fixture or is it a lost skiers who was never found?
    Don't know!! I have wondered that myself, as the car has been there for months.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mt Buller Australian Minor Chess Championships
    By cincinnatus in forum Mt Buller Chess
    Replies: 202
    Last Post: 24-01-2005, 02:44 PM
  2. Mt Buller - Chess World letter to ACF
    By ChessGuru in forum Mt Buller Chess
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: 17-07-2004, 11:58 AM
  3. Replies: 395
    Last Post: 16-07-2004, 02:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •