Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    You know what they say? There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.
    hi Baz

Down here (in Melbourne) 'THEY" say no such thing.
    When it hails during the Test Match they say, bugger.
    No clothing is correct for cricket in the hail.

starter

Poor Shannon is having an awful time. She went down to try and get some dinner, but was told the cafe was closed and the restaurant full. They told her to try the Arlberg (a fair walk uphill from the Mercure). It is still snowing and she has no coat and only flimsy clothes. She made it up to the Arlberg, but they had closed their restaurant early, because they had too many people as well.

After she phoned me, I told her to go and talk to the Mercure staff again - they have come to her rescue - she is ordering from room service and collecting the food, so they won't charge her room service rates (a Uni student's money only goes so far!).

She is very cold, miserable and lonely, so hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Down here (in Melbourne) 'THEY" say no such thing.
    When it hails during the Test Match they say, bugger.
    No clothing is correct for cricket in the hail.
    MacIntosh and Helmet.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Is anyone from Canberra (or passing through Canberra) going to the Rapid on the 1st? Denis Jessop is going to take some warm clothes up on the 4th for Shannon, but if there is anyone who can take some clothes (a small quantity!) before that, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Is anyone from Canberra (or passing through Canberra) going to the Rapid on the 1st? Denis Jessop is going to take some warm clothes up on the 4th for Shannon, but if there is anyone who can take some clothes (a small quantity!) before that, I would appreciate hearing from you.
    Here's hoping she has a big wardrobe to put all the warm clothes from the next group of travellers

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Hmm We'll be burning along the Hume HWy on the first. We're going for the minor. I dont think the drivers would like to detour via canberra but i'm sure they wouldnt mind if we were to meet on the Hume. But that might be a fair drive for you........
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    *makes mental note to take warm clothing
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

CC Candidate Master
    according to the weather stats at
    http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/ID...4.latest.shtml
    the max temp was 22.

CC Candidate Master
    It may have been 22 degrees on the 23rd December but it was 2.9 degrees at 9 am yesterday and 0.4 degrees at 3 pm - wind chill would it made it even cooler. And the snow cam near the ABOM chair lift (yes near where the event is to be held) shows that it is and has been snowing. Warm clothing equals parkas, gloves, beanies and thick socks - and a bottle of rum: Yo Ho Ho.

Hello boys and girls!!

Youse all should get some of your money back for false advertising. Beautiful . . . your butts beautiful. This is really an AWFUL tournament in a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE venue.

Thus, to answer the question: it is not repeatable.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by quanta
    the max temp was 22.
    Have just had a look at www.ski.com.au/snowcams/buller1.html and at present (and for the last few hours) the temp at Mt Buller is -2 deg C.

Sounds like young Shannon needs some warm clothes NOW (and not in a few days time)!

Still, it should look nice for the start of the Open, with all the snow over the last few hours.
    Last edited by Paul S; 28-12-2004 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    Hmm We'll be burning along the Hume HWy on the first. We're going for the minor. I dont think the drivers would like to detour via canberra but i'm sure they wouldnt mind if we were to meet on the Hume. But that might be a fair drive for you........
    We're quite happy to drive to the Hume and hand over some clothing. (Well at least I am, my driver is muttering about she will learn to check weather forecasts in the future....).

I will send you a pm and maybe you can check with your drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by quanta
    the max temp was 22.
    The temperature bounces all over the place. Because it is so high up, the sun or absence of it, makes a huge difference. When I was up there in Dec for the schools, I went from a winter tracksuit one day to summer dresses the next.

Why people want kitchens

Of course Shannon's experience last night shows why Juniors and their families have turned their backs on the Mercure and gone for lodges and apartments.

When you have a family you need a kitchen. You do not want to be dependent on the vagaries of hotels in order to feed young children (or even 18 yr olds). You want a big fridge with lots of stuff in it, not a mini-bar stuffed with alcohol.

Kids tend to eat at random times. If they get sick (and you always have a lot getting sick at the juniors, because any bug spreads like wildfire), you want to be able to feed them when they wake up. You don't want to be forever looking at your watch and stressing about having missed breakfast or too late for dinner, or always walking the mountain finding some food, or eating expensive room service.

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Hello boys and girls!!

Youse all should get some of your money back for false advertising. Beautiful . . . your butts beautiful. This is really an AWFUL tournament in a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE venue.

Thus, to answer the question: it is not repeatable.

AR
    Well it could be quite fun - sitting around a fire with some mulled wine. Libby's wonderful booklet (and Juniors and junior parents - it is a work of art and a definite must for anyone at the juniors!), contains a recipe for mulled wine.

However right at the moment, I am in lioness mode, with a wounded cub and ready to consign Mt Buller and all its works to the pits of hell.

Thread Information