Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Down on motivation after yesterday I come up with this shocker (which is to take nothing away from a nicely calculated attack by the opponent against my feeble play).

S Narenthran - Bonham

PGN Viewer

...and yes, that's my first rated loss in a Closed Tarrasch which I've been playing for 28 years.

Easier day for me today; the air-conditioning was working well in the hall and it was the first day I didn't have trouble with the heat.

Bonham - Salasan. Opponent did a nice job to get a promising position and then blundered.

PGN Viewer

CC Grandmaster
    Did not look this promising even after he took in f4.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Did not look this promising even after he took in f4.
    During the game I thought I was better after Bxf4. In the post-mortem I found I couldn't get near proving this, and indeed Stockfish says -0.6.

A pity that once the A/C is good, you have all but run out of rounds.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    A pity that once the A/C is good, you have all but run out of rounds.
    It wasn't so good today; I was back to the same problem. Maybe I should play in tournaments on the South Island of NZ in winter. Thinking of putting in an Aus Champs bid for Macquarie Island.

Unfortunately I finished with another of the moments of terrible inattention I've been plagued by in this tournament - much more so than at shorter time controls! Thomas' conversion after my megablunder in an equal position was really nicely done and is well worth playing through to see how he creates weaknesses on both sides of the board leaving me unable to defend both sides at once. It may seem simple but two other opponents stuffed up won endings against me including the tournament winner, and I have frequently drawn this kind of thing because opponents have allowed a complete blockade.

Johnston - Bonham

PGN Viewer

Generally this was a rather poor tournament result for me; a few themes:

* Preparation - even in the midfield of the Reserves people (especially the juniors) are deadly serious about this and I arrive to find the opponent has clearly spent hours preparing their lines so as to avoid whatever I might prepare (or be equally prepared if I play the same stuff as is on database). In the last two one-game-a-dayers I played in (Aus Ch 2001-2, Aus Open Mt Buller 2004-5) the preparation was all a bit micky-mouse really but these days games by almost anyone are easy to find. (It is a bit funny though that some people don't look at the dates, and I get told by opponents that I usually play e4 based on games that are 10-15 years old!) I wasn't as serious about the tournament as to put this much time into prep (on some days I couldn't because of chess admin workload) but I need to find less panicky ways to adjust to an opponent obviously being more prepared than I am. Often I am making bad decisions to play lines I've forgotten in order to avoid opposing preparation.

* Attention snaps - in at least half my games I had moments where I played a natural move and found I had overlooked something massive and obvious. Some of these were around the time this often happens to me (move 12 or so) but others were uncharacteristically in the endgame. The Disaster Move above against Thomas was probably the most out of character of all. It's possible that this comes from being not used to the time control - in a quicker game I don't use as much mental energy, perhaps.

* The heat problem as noted above, not sure what I can do about this, didn't hear of anyone not from Tasmania having problems with it. I just don't play well in summer, most of the time.

CC Candidate Master
    Thanks for the game Kevin, to think I offered a draw after qxc8! definitely wouldn't of if I knew how exciting the endgame would've been, even if it did end in only a draw instead of a win.

Quote Originally Posted by ThebeJohnston View Post
    Thanks for the game Kevin, to think I offered a draw after qxc8!
    Aaaargh, did you? I have very poor hearing in certain ranges (hoping to get it fixed this year) and frequently do not hear draw offers. Even without realising I was actually losing I was wondering if you would do so and would very probably have accepted it. Maybe I should have offered a move or two earlier but I tend not to offer if I think I might be better.

As an aside, a player who offers a draw is required to write "=" on the scoresheet after the move (not just to help deaf opponents who may not be paying attention, but because it is part of the record of the game). Most players however do not do this. (You may have done this and I may not have noticed).
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 13-01-2016 at 02:17 AM.

CC Candidate Master
    I did not but thanks for the heads up, will do in the future.
    I've never played the opening before and actually took FM Zach Loh and Jack Puccini a long time to convince me to play it, I have no clue if I played it correctly.

I've never played the opening before and actually took FM Zach Loh and Jack Puccini a long time to convince me to play it, I have no clue if I played it correctly.
    I have had 2.Qe2 played against me a few times before, usually by 2000-ish opponents. Each time it is long enough since the last time that I am struggling to remember all the lines I previously looked at against it (the same applies to 2.f4). Objectively it isn't that dangerous but there can be an irksome lack of space to develop black's pieces in. The line from our game wasn't typical, mainly because of my ...d6 instead of ...d5.

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Any chance of a zip file of your games PGN ? I think the gui should be able to export to PGN or similar.

Is Altecman going to enter/archive the reserve's games eventually ?

Yes - hot Melbourne days are very nasty.

CC Grandmaster
    2.Qe2 was played by James Morris in one of his Aus Masters games that he won convinsingly. On the same week, he played it in Allegro against me and I also failed to get a reasonable position out of the opening.
    Overall, pretty good coaching job by FM Puccini . It is good to study chess together and to prepare each other for tournament games. I think Jack's first coaching success was Kanan's smashing victory against GM Johansen in the Masters. Kanan played 2.d4 against the Sicilian and Darryl was totally unprepared and got smashed. I could see Jack's touch behind that victory as he has been playing 2.d4 rather regularly (used it to score his first win over GM) but I can not recall Kanan playing it before. In the opening round of Aus champs, Jack was paired against Johansen...but with black pieces so did not have a chance to play Mora against him (would be interesting to see how it would go). However 2 rounds late, Zachary tried 2.d4 against Darryl. Unfortunately, in that case - the gambit backfired as Daryl was better prepared this time, plus the opening may not be very suitable for Zachary's playing style.

Re, 2. Qe2 - while 2...d5 (Chigorine French) is ok - I would rather not play it as white appears to be getting comfortable kind of King's Indian Opening, so 2...c5 appeas to be more flexible. Also, may be 2...e5!? can be tried.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    yes e5 is a very popular move, I would've been quite annoyed if Kevin played that because now I just have my normal e4 e5 but with an awkward queen on e2.

yes e5 is a very popular move, I would've been quite annoyed if Kevin played that because now I just have my normal e4 e5 but with an awkward queen on e2.
    Yes I saw an interesting analysis which started 1.e4 e6 2.Qe2 e5 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.Qb5
    meep meep

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information