Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Interesting games, thanks for posting
    Agreed!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenaaus View Post
    ChessChat'ss PGN download feature is also broke for me. Cheers.
    I think it's been broken for everyone for some time unfortunately.

Strickland - Bonham

Another day, another fortress - but only after missing winning breakthroughs through overcaution and missing ideas, then making an appalling blunder into a lost position in a careless moment later on. Credit to Rebecca for fighting hard in a difficult position. Three lost positions in a row - can't keep pulling off miracles indefinitely; I have got to stop playing so badly!

Any offers for winning lines for white from 57 on welcome.

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 06-01-2016 at 08:53 AM.

CC International Master
    I do not have a comp program so maybe I am missing something simple. Do not you just put your bishop on e3, say 64 Be3..., and approach the b pawn with your King. Black has to let white King to get to either a6 or d6. Is not it trivial from there?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I do not have a comp program so maybe I am missing something simple. Do not you just put your bishop on e3, say 64 Be3..., and approach the b pawn with your King. Black has to let white King to get to either a6 or d6. Is not it trivial from there?
    It is not trivial because black can place the king on c6 and bishop on d3, and then meet Ka5 with Kb7 so white can't just give up the g-pawn. At the moment I can't find a forced way through. There might be one.

CC International Master
    By that time white has their pawn on g5. So they just move their bishop to pass the move, what does black do?
    1) If they move their king to c6 then just g6 and Ka6.
    2) If they move the King somewhere else or move the bishop along b1-h7 diagonal, then white King can come to c5.

Then it is trivial?
    Last edited by Vlad; 06-01-2016 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    By that time white has their pawn on g5. So they just move their bishop to pass the move, what does black do?
    1) If they move their king to c6 then just g6 and Ka6.
    2) If they move the King somewhere else or move the bishop along b1-h7 diagonal, then white King can come to c5.

Then it is trivial?
    Yes, it's a win. In this position:

FEN Viewer

...black tries to hold on with ...Kc8 but after Kb4 Kd7, Kc5 Be4 just Bd2 is zugzwang.

So it looks like 64.Kd4 was the drawing mistake. Thanks.

CC International Master
    Then white sacrifices the b pawn to penetrate with the king and help the g pawn. I think it is a very instructive endgame to teach kids how to play the opposite color bishop endgames.

Bonham - Krstevski. Unfortunately today's blunder only cost me a pawn and as my previous games have shown I need to lose more material than that to survive.

PGN Viewer

CC Grandmaster
    was not an easy endgame to try to hold but I think final mistake was 31.f4 -that made your pawns very vulnerable.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Strickland - Bonham

Another day, another fortress - but only after missing winning breakthroughs through overcaution and missing ideas, then making an appalling blunder into a lost position in a careless moment later on. Credit to Rebecca for fighting hard in a difficult position. Three lost positions in a row - can't keep pulling off miracles indefinitely; I have got to stop playing so badly!

Any offers for winning lines for white from 57 on welcome.

PGN Viewer

I think 64. Kb4 is much better for white in this position because then you have 64......Kc6 65. Ka5 and this should be slightly better. Very hard for Black to hold in my opinion but was lucky to be greeted the gift of Kd4.

lost

This is a bit more like it.

Therakam - Bonham

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 07-01-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Bonham - Schmitz.

Sigh. Complex rook ending, usual result - missed a likely win and then a save as well. I was quite short of time leading up to the TC but missed the save after it!

PGN Viewer

Kevin, have you enjoyed the time control compared to the normal amount of time you normally have? Do you wish you got to play in events with time controls like this in Tasmania more often?

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    Kevin, have you enjoyed the time control compared to the normal amount of time you normally have? Do you wish you got to play in events with time controls like this in Tasmania more often?
    Not really to either. I haven't much noticed having extra time because I have had issues with the heat in the Reserves area (even on the cooler days like yesterday) and have had to spend at least 20 mins out of the hall cooling off during each game, which has got me into mild time trouble leading up to the first TC a couple of times. It is not that the venue is especially hot but that the body heat of so many players heats it up after the round has been underway for a while. When the crowd thins out it cools off. Presumably playing in Tas I am just used to cooler conditions (even there I often have issues with heat in the summer, and usually play better in winter).

The length of the games also affects my opening choice, and perhaps I'm taking silly risks in trying to avoid boredom. For instance I find the Four Knights to be a good pragmatic choice normally, but do I really want to be playing sterile positions in search of a tiny edge for 5 hours?

Anyway it looks like longer TC events are coming in Tasmania with the Open to trial 30 second increments and 2 games/day.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 10-01-2016 at 10:17 AM.

Thread Information