Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenaaus View Post
    Is it known what became of the £400 stirling ?
    I suspect it was not forwarded in advance and since a team never arrived from Australia it never 'became' at all. Later reports were saying £500 (perhaps as compensation for the dates moving) and there was also talk of free accommodation for the teams etc.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenaaus View Post
    Is it known what became of the £400 stirling ?
    At the time it was a lot of money! I am not sure how much the potential travel expenses were (I assume sailing to South America at the time was an expensive and long trip) but in any case collecting that kind of bonus for participation (given that ''Team Australia'' was not a star-packed team and did not include likes of Alekhine, Capablanca, Keres etc.) was amazing. I wonder if that figure is correct?
    In today's money (I got curious and googled) - it was something like 76,000 pounds. Using answers.com http://www.answers.com/Q/How_much_is...ay's_terms is not an ideal way of establishing the value so I may be wrong in my assumption but even if the money they recieved was 70-80% of the value I am suggesting above - that means it was the greatest ever finanical insentive offered to any Australian player/team in the history of the Australian chess!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    At the time it was a lot of money! I am not sure how much the potential travel expenses were (I assume sailing to South America at the time was an expensive and long trip) but in any case collecting that kind of bonus for participation (given that ''Team Australia'' was not a star-packed team and did not include likes of Alekhine, Capablanca, Keres etc.) was amazing. I wonder if that figure is correct?

In today's money (I got curious and googled) - it was something like 76,000 pounds. Using answers.com http://www.answers.com/Q/How_much_is...ay's_terms is not an ideal way of establishing the value so I may be wrong in my assumption but even if the money they recieved was 70-80% of the value I am suggesting above - that means it was the greatest ever finanical insentive offered to any Australian player/team in the history of the Australian chess!
    Using this, £400 would be worth $33024 today.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwischenzug View Post
    Using this, £400 would be worth $33024 today.
    In AUD?

CC Candidate Master
    Yes. That website converts past Australian currency to current value. Back then, we used pounds as well (though the Aussie pound was distinct from the British pound). We switched to dollars in 1966.

CC FIDE Master
    A bit off topc:

@ Michael Baron

I don't think that Gideon Ståhlberg was jewish. He just liked the South American lifestyle and climate.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen View Post
    A bit off topc:

@ Michael Baron

I don't think that Gideon Ståhlberg was jewish. He just liked the South American lifestyle and climate.
    Yep he was not Jewish...but I do not think it was just the climate...note that he returned after WWII got over

CC FIDE Master
    He first returned to Sweden in 1948 or 1949. Untill then he "just" sent a lot chesscolumns to the swedish chessmagazines, gave simuls, played small tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen View Post
    He first returned to Sweden in 1948 or 1949. Untill then he "just" sent a lot chesscolumns to the swedish chessmagazines, gave simuls, played small tournaments.
    He played in the 1948 Interzonal at Saltsjöbaden where he finished equal 6th with Bondaresky, Flohr and Najdorf on 10.5 (20 competitors). That earned him the right to play in the 1949 Candidates Tournament at Buenos Aires to decide who would play Botvinnik for the world title in 1950.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop View Post
    He played in the 1948 Interzonal at Saltsjöbaden where he finished equal 6th with Bondaresky, Flohr and Najdorf on 10.5 (20 competitors). That earned him the right to play in the 1949 Candidates Tournament at Buenos Aires to decide who would play Botvinnik for the world title in 1950.

DJ
    Did not know it was planned for Buenos Aires. The Candidates tournament has taken place in Budapesht in 1950.

Did not know it was planned for Buenos Aires. The Candidates tournament has taken place in Budapesht in 1950.
    I took my information from Lajos Steiner's book "Kings of the Chessboard" - his account of his 1948 trip to play in the interzonal. The venue for the Candidates must have been changed as the 1950 Candidates was indeed held in Budapest.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC Candidate Master
    I am not sure, may be not as a lot of its content is related to Russian players that are little known in the West and history of chess in Russia as well as Russian tournaments. I believe there is a similar kind of book published in UK some years ago by Ken Wild titled something like (not sure what the exact title is) Chess Encyclopedia.
    You may be thinking of "The Oxford Companion to Chess" by David Hooper and Kenneth Whyld. Does not say anything about the subject matter of this thread though.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    ^^ I agree with the post above, I have the "Oxford companion to chess" by Hooper and Whyld, and iI've looked through it and it doesn't mention anything about which countries joined FIDE and when... let alone Australia.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    We could write to FIDE and ask them when we joined .... rofl
    ... .....rofl
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlin View Post
    We could write to FIDE and ask them when we joined .... rofl
    ... .....rofl
    I doubt they know that. Some of the Fide ''activitists'' do not even know how to move chess pieces

Thread Information