Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

When did the ACF join FIDE?

FIDE are asking member federations to tell FIDE when they joined FIDE. One would really think FIDE should know!

This Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...er_Federations says 1926. However it's unsourced and it's only Wikipedia. Does anyone here know for sure?

Denis previously posted that the ACF was formed in 1922.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    FIDE are asking member federations to tell FIDE when they joined FIDE. One would really think FIDE should know!

This Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...er_Federations says 1926. However it's unsourced and it's only Wikipedia. Does anyone here know for sure?

Denis previously posted that the ACF was formed in 1922.
    I got the 1922 date from an article by Cecil Purdy in "Chess World". FIDE was formed in 1924. I tried to find Cecil's article again today but without success so far. I'll have another go tomorrow.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop View Post
    I got the 1922 date from an article by Cecil Purdy in "Chess World". FIDE was formed in 1924. I tried to find Cecil's article again today but without success so far. I'll have another go tomorrow.

DJ
    Bill sent me a copy of a Purdy article from Chess World October 1964 entitled "History of the Australian Title", which gives Championships from 1922 onwards as belonging to the "A.C.F. Era". That particular article doesn't say anything about FIDE.

CC Grandmaster
    The Russian Chess Dictionary has Australia listed as a FIDE member from 1939.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    wow, the Russian Chess Dictionary must be a remarkable publication. Has it been translated into English?
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    wow, the Russian Chess Dictionary must be a remarkable publication. Has it been translated into English?
    I am not sure, may be not as a lot of its content is related to Russian players that are little known in the West and history of chess in Russia as well as Russian tournaments. I believe there is a similar kind of book published in UK some years ago by Ken Wild titled something like (not sure what the exact title is) Chess Encyclopedia.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Thanks very much for this. I have still not been able to find any evidence for the 1926 date claimed on Wikipedia.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    If you look a The Age, Thursday 14th July 1938, page 6. There is an item titled "Chess Team For Argentina" which reads...

Quote Originally Posted by The Age
    SYDNEY, Wednesday. — The Australian Chess Federation delegates met tonight and decided to recommend the acceptance of the Argentine Chess Federation's offer of £400 stirling towards expenses of a chess team's visit to the Buenos Aires Chess Olympiad next April. Immediate steps will he taken to affiliate with the Federal International des Echecs. Each State will be requested to raise its quota of the fund necessary to send the team away for at least three months, and to nominate players for selection.
    So I suspect that the answer is either 1938-1939 in response to trying to get a team together for the Chess Olympiad in held in Buenos Aires in 1939.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    So I suspect that the answer is either 1938-1939 in response to trying to get a team together for the Chess Olympiad in held in Buenos Aires in 1939.
    I would assume their membership was formally accepted at the General Assembly (or whatever it was called back then) held at the Olympiad in 1939.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    I would assume their membership was formally accepted at the General Assembly (or whatever it was called back then) held at the Olympiad in 1939.
    You could be right and I believe the Scottish Chess Federation had some trouble getting acceptance in then 1920s but by the late 30s perhaps things were more routine. I note also there is an item in The Australasian, 3 September, 1938, page 49, which reads in part...

Quote Originally Posted by The Australasian
    ARGENTINE CHESS CONGRESS. 1939. — Nothing definite has been decided whether Australia will send a team to the Argentine World Chess Congress, 1939. where approximately 30 nations will be represented, but there is every likelihood that Australia will be there, and for this reason—the Australian Chess Federation has just affiliated with the F.I.D.E (International Chess Federation)
    If the author of this is correct then the answer is c. September, 1938.

Sadly the Australian team never got to Argentina. The Olympiad seemed to be very poorly organised. Originally scheduled for April the date slipped a couple of times and in the end there was no boat available to take the Australian team to South America at the time actually held. Of course there were other issues with the tournament with hostilities in Europe commencing while it was underway causing the British team to withdraw after the preliminary rounds and several players not returning home, including Najdorf and Frydman from Poland and I think the entire German team.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Sadly the Australian team never got to Argentina. The Olympiad seemed to be very poorly organised. Originally scheduled for April the date slipped a couple of times and in the end there was no boat available to take the Australian team to South America at the time actually held. Of course there were other issues with the tournament with hostilities in Europe commencing while it was underway causing the British team to withdraw after the preliminary rounds and several players not returning home, including Najdorf and Frydman from Poland and I think the entire German team.
    However, that Olympiad saved lives of many chess players (particularly Jewish ones) who stayed over in Argentina rather than returned home to perish forever. As well as Najdorf and Frydman, many other names come to mind: Pelikan, Eliskazes, Pilnik, Feigin, Lutskis etc. Also, Shtalberg remained in Argentina till the end of the WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Bill sent me a copy of a Purdy article from Chess World October 1964 entitled "History of the Australian Title", which gives Championships from 1922 onwards as belonging to the "A.C.F. Era". That particular article doesn't say anything about FIDE.
    That may be the article I had in mind though I think there is another one about the ACF. Michael Baron's 1939 date makes sense especially if Fide was running the Olympiad (Hamilton Russell Cup) by then. Australia had planned to send a team to the 1939 Olympiad but transport arrangements were fouled up (partly because of the threat of WW2 and the team didn't go. If FIDE was running the event, we would have had to be a member.

DJ

PS I was too slack in reading the thread to see that Rincewind has covered much of this.
    Last edited by Denis_Jessop; 15-12-2015 at 12:32 AM.
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Is it known what became of the £400 stirling ?

Excellent work Rincewind. I can add that there was a FIDE Congress in Paris in 1938 (see for example http://www.fidecongress2011.pl/downl...s1924-2011.pdf) but I have not yet been able to find the dates of it and determine whether Australia could have been affiliated at the 1938 Congress.

Thread Information