Where to buy a new laptop ?????

I am just wondering which websites are the most reliable for buying new laptops. The only website that I have had a good look through is Kogan.com.

Anybody else have any other ideas.

My current laptop is an Acer Aspire 5315. It is not a very good machine.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Redmond Barry; 15-09-2015 at 03:05 AM.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Kogan isn't a bad site from what i've heard.

But you should buy a Mac from ebay (or from me). OS X is such a great thing.
    The white 13" 2010 A1342 are cheap,decent specced machines, and there are 2009/2010 15" Macbook Pros from around $500 if you need a bigger display.
    Buying direct from Apple or JB Hifi (when on special) is an ok option, but the aussie dollar means they aren't too cheap at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenaaus View Post

The white 13" 2010 A1342 are cheap,decent specced machines, and there are 2009/2010 15" Macbook Pros from around $500 if you need a bigger display.
    Buying direct from Apple or JB Hifi (when on special) is an ok option, but the aussie dollar means they aren't too cheap at the moment.
    Hi Steven,

Thanks for the reply. Ive never had a Mac before so ill have to look into it a bit more as I have only been looking at Windows based machines. My biggest problem with my current laptop among other things is that the battery life is really poor and I cant use it for very long when I am away from power. Its somewhere between 1-2 hours depending on what im doing. It would be nice to have a laptop/netbook that lasts up to 8-10 hours so I can potentially complete a decent days work if need be if im out and about. Usually my usage entails no more than typing up notes or checking if photos Ive taken are acceptable.

As a stop gap Ive purchased a battery bank rated at 38000maH so I can recharge on the go. Its still to arrive but hopefully this should help. Even with the battery bank I still have a feeling that I would be much better off with a better machine.

Ive been looking at something like this - https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-...tebook/612433/

Apparently the battery life is around the 10-12 hour mark which is very nice. The only problem I see is that the hardrive is only 32gb. I have the feeling that this could get filled up very quickly and slow the machines performance. It appears to be similar to a chromebook in specs although most reviews I read indicate it is decent for a budget netbook.

Ill have a look around for reviews on the Macbook Pro's....

Cheers,
    Larry
    Consecutive and slow -

CC Candidate Master
    For what it is worth I have just bought a new ASUS TP500L 15.6" laptop with i7 processor, 1 TB HDD and touchscreen/doubles a large tablet which I will only use sparingly. Lasts on battery for around 8-9 hours - which is great - means I can visit a client site and don't have to drag a power pack with me. I do a lot of mathematical modelling work and need a machine with some grunt and also portability as I work in multiple locations. I need a decent size screen and full keyboard including numeric keypad and this unit has both.

Have to say I'm impressed so far. Machine is on the heavy side at 2kg but is a dam lot lighter than comparable HP models that tip the scales at >4kg.

Also now running Windows 10 with no adverse effects and it is an improvement over 8

Jay

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    I'd really avoid an Atom CPU. You'll just spend too much time looking at the busy cursor.
    Imho, there's no excuse not to buy a proper mobile corei5 or whatever AMD make nowadays,
    (which will have a superior GPU on chip and a better option if you intend to play any games).

32 gb is too small. 64 would be a just-enough for my reckoning, and 128 much better.

PM me with any Mac questions. The switch is definitely worth the effort.

CC International Master William AS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry the vampire unicorn View Post
    Apparently the battery life is around the 10-12 hour mark which is very nice. The only problem I see is that the hardrive is only 32gb. I have the feeling that this could get filled up very quickly and slow the machines performance. It appears to be similar to a chromebook in specs although most reviews I read indicate it is decent for a budget netbook.
    32 GB is definitely not enough space for use with Windows & Office, you would have to turn off updates or you would run out of space very quickly. Only has 2 USB ports which is also not enough.

The Atom processor would perform much the same as your current Celeron but with better battery life. That model Eee PC also may not have a replaceable battery which is a definite no no.

For several years I have had an ASUS Eee PC with a 250 GB HD & Windows 7, is compact & ok for most things, works well but is a little slow.

Previously had one with a small SSD which quickly ran out of space . Also have a 15.6" Toshiba Quad Core i7 with Windows 10, completely different league & still runs for around 6 hours at full blast.

Suggest you go with a quad core AMD or the latest Intel i Series processor as they have a much better battery life & have more grunt. Apples are nice but cost lots of that folding stuff.
    A wise prince will seek means by which his subjects will always and in every possible condition of things have need of his government, and then they will always be faithful to him. Niccolo Machiavelli (14691527), Il Principe (The Prince)

A wise prince will also realise that this can be achieved more successfully by means other than rape, pillage, greed, lies, deceit or misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenaaus View Post

meep meep

Thanks for the tips.

If I make the upgrade ill stick to an amd a4 or intel i5 processor. I shall scrap the asus eeebook idea.

Cheers.
    Consecutive and slow -

Thread Information