Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    CC Grandmaster
    For those who can read Russian - this is just getting more and more ridiculous
    http://www.chess-news.ru/node/24289#comment-36355
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    So they passed a motion of moral support (not necessarily endorsement) for both Ilyumzhinov and Karpov when Karpov is not known to be running?

CC International Master
    Yes, and more importantly Karpov is highly unlikely to be running.

I think the main message of the article was that the new-old president of the Russian chess federation was looking for excuses not to support Illumzinov.

CC FIDE Master
    Hi all,

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...k-account.html

That is the link on the current situation regarding FIDE bank accounts. This is due to the sanctions on Kirsan from USA. Clearly this has put FIDE in a bad position because of the sanctions on Kirsan.

lost

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    Hi all,

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...k-account.html

That is the link on the current situation regarding FIDE bank accounts. This is due to the sanctions on Kirsan from USA. Clearly this has put FIDE in a bad position because of the sanctions on Kirsan.

lost
    Makro is trying to finish-off Kirsan. Anyway, the sad part is that we are witnessing two very corrupt individuals (Kirsan and Makro) fighting for control over the chess world.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Makro is trying to finish-off Kirsan. Anyway, the sad part is that we are witnessing two very corrupt individuals (Kirsan and Makro) fighting for control over the chess world.
    Michael,

I think you are being too harsh in saying the following that Makro is trying to finish of Kirsan and that both Kirsan and Makro are very corrupt individuals. I can think I much more corrupted people in this world but don't want to lead this thread off the track.

lost

This is vey sad - the linked letter says FIDE's accounts would be closed forthwith so this may have already occurred. How they can arrange alternate banking with Kirsan on the "nautghty persons list" I do not know. I await developments with some trepidation.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    This is vey sad - the linked letter says FIDE's accounts would be closed forthwith so this may have already occurred.
    I don't take that as meaning that the money has been taken from those accounts. It just means they have to put it somewhere else.

CC Grandmaster
    Kirsan is stalemated

CC Grandmaster
    A new move by Macro!
    Now he will run for the presidency by himself!
    http://fide.com/component/content/ar...ial-board.html

Thread renamed

This started as a thread about Kirsan proposing to run for President of FIFA but has morphed into general discussion of the FIDE Presidency. It would be difficult to split cleanly so I have just renamed it.

Kirsan announces his Presidential ticket:

http://ruchess.ru/en/news/all/kirsan...al_elections_/

Presidential ticket of Ilyumzhinov includes Minister of Foreign Affairs of Kosovo Behgjet Pacolli as Deputy President, Vice-President of Executive council of Office of American Innovation, member of Writers Guild of America, member of the board of Lauder Institute of University of Pennsylvania Glenn Stark (USA) as Secretary General, Thai Princess, member of the royal family, a famous philanthropist and businesswoman Rajadarasri Jayankura (Thailand), general producer of the European Film Association, member of the board of the Belgian Institute of Fine Arts Inal Sheripov (Belgium) as Vice-Presidents, engineer, Doctor of Science, plenipotentiary minister, director of the university and educational mission of Tunisia in Paris Takhar Battikh (Tunisia) as Treasurer.

According to Ilyumzhinov's application, Vice-President of the Chess Federation of Azerbaijan Mahir Mammedov (Azerbaijan), Vice-President of the Armenian Chess Federation Smbat Lputian (Armenia), and President of the Chinese Chess Association Yang Junan (China) have become nominated Vice-Presidents.

Former chief Treasurer of FIDE Willy Icklicki (Belgium) is announced as Executive Director, while former press secretary of the Asian Chess Federation Philip Alimo (Ghana) - as Press Officer.
    I don't think I have heard of anyone in the ticket list in the first paragraph in a chess capacity (the rest I have heard of).

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Kirsan announces his Presidential ticket:

http://ruchess.ru/en/news/all/kirsan...al_elections_/

I don't think I have heard of anyone in the ticket list in the first paragraph in a chess capacity (the rest I have heard of).
    Well< Lputyan was a strong GM in the 1990s, Mamedov is a well known chess ''sponsor'', Ikliki....was involved with chess before...but overall..very weak team!

US sanctions hit world chess body as UBS shuts down account
    Financial imes

No bank willing to take Fide as client while Kirsan Ilyumzhinov remains president...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    US sanctions hit world chess body as UBS shuts down account
    Financial imes

No bank willing to take Fide as client while Kirsan Ilyumzhinov remains president...
    The most puzzling question I have always had since Kirsan was slapped with the US Sanctions and he claimed (as of course he would) was that they were unfounded and without merit, is that why has he not taken any action to get himself removed from the US Sanctions list?

Whilst certainly not being an expert in this area, as if anyone on this forum would be, I would imagine this would involve one of two steps:

1) Proving to the US Department that he or his business interests have or had no ties with Syrian Government
    2) Now showing that he has removed all links between himself and those business interests, so he now is completely separate from those businesses.

2) Might not get him removed, but it at least is a step in the right direction.

But to do nothing, which is how it appears, is not a good look at all.

Thread Information