Thread: 2015 datmo

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar

2015 datmo

The 2015 Malaysian Chess Festival (including DATMO and supporting events) will be held 18-27 September in Kuala Lumpur.

Two local teams will compete in the Teams Rapid 18-19 September:

Klang Valley Koalas (FM Lee Jones, Steven O'Reilly, Alana Chibnall, FM Brian Jones, Edwin Lam)

Klang Valley Kiwis (FM Ben Hague, Bob Gibbons, Hilton Bennett, CM Paul Spiller, Dan Dolejs)

Arriving 20 September for the 9-round Malaysian Open, Challengers and Seniors are: IM Moulthun Ly (AUS), IM Anton Smrinov (AUS), Jeff Balbalosa (PLW) and Tito Cabunagan (PLW).

Alana will depart early to travel to Auckland as Deputy Chief Arbiter in the 2015 Trundle Masters.

'

The first day of the Merdeka Teams Rapid event was held today with 104 teams(!) in the Open as well as a high number of teams in the Under 12 event taking part. On top of Brian's list above, Brodie McClymont, Aleks Wohl and David Liu are all playing with a Phillipino on the Doubleroo team. Also we discovered this morning that only four players are allowed per team (not five as in previous years) so Brian Jones is playing for a different team (DATCC) too.

All results and pairings can be found here: http://chess-results.com/tnr187627.a...det=YES&wi=821 . I'm sure we are all looking forward to another 6 rounds of rapid tomorrow starting at 8:30am followed by a blitz event for the super keen players (like myself!)
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

CC Grandmaster
    Smirnov is 1st equal after 5 rounds.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Can he get a GM norm off the tournament?

CC International Master
    The hardest part is to get 2 GMs in the last 3 games. If Anton is lucky to get 2 more GMs and scores at least 2.5 in the last 4 rounds then I would say he has very good chances.

There is only one GM on 4, Nguyen Duc Hoa. Everybody else is on 3.5 or less. Unless one of the GMs on 3.5 starts winning chances are pretty low.

P.S. It actually shows how hard it is to get a GM norm in our part of the world. It is possible that a player gets 9 out of 9 in the event like Malaysian Open and still no norm.
    Last edited by Vlad; 24-09-2015 at 08:35 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Are there any live games or a pgn?

CC International Master
    Molton and Anton are 1st equal after 9 rounds.

Anton missed a GM norm by 1 GM and 0.5 rating point. He only played 2 GMs rather than 3 as required and his average is 2379, while 2379.5 is the minimum allowed. In some sense it is good that he only had 2 GMs. If he had 3 and missed out by 0.5 point that would be very unfortunate...

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post

Anton missed a GM norm by 1 GM and 0.5 rating point. He only played 2 GMs rather than 3 as required and his average is 2379, while 2379.5 is the minimum allowed. In some sense it is good that he only had 2 GMs. If he had 3 and missed out by 0.5 point that would be very unfortunate...
    When not if.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post

If he played a 3rd GM then I doubt he would've been under the rating minimum

Malaysian Cheating Championships?

Read the whole story here:

http://doubleroo.blogspot.com.au/201...pionships.html
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post

When Alex shared this on Facebook, several other chess-players also pointed out that such cheating is very common in Malaysian blitz events and the arbiters do little to ractify the problem.

When Alex shared this on Facebook, several other chess-players also pointed out that such cheating is very common in Malaysian blitz events and the arbiters do little to ractify the problem.
    Correct. I know of one high rated Victorian IM who apparently has been subjected to such unacceptable behaviour.
    I did not refer to specific names out of respect for the involved individuals' right to present their case themselves if they so wish.
    I provided the source for general discussion here!
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post

"Illegal move, like moving King next to King was tried on at least three occasions that I am aware of. In the first case the person losing moved his king into check and when the opponent failed to notice, the first player claimed the game."

Interesting for Aleks to mention this, as I can recall a rather crucial game in a national blitz which he won in exactly this fashion.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    "Illegal move, like moving King next to King was tried on at least three occasions that I am aware of. In the first case the person losing moved his king into check and when the opponent failed to notice, the first player claimed the game."

Interesting for Aleks to mention this, as I can recall a rather crucial game in a national blitz which he won in exactly this fashion.
    A certain International Master that I will not name (Not Alex) has been attempting illegal moves on several occasions at national blitz events ...including in the national championships play-off one year...

Thread Information