View Poll Results: Is the ABC's coverage of political issues biased?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, strongly to the left

7 38.89%
  • Yes, slightly to the left

2 11.11%
  • No, it is balanced

6 33.33%
  • Yes, slightly to the right

0 0%
  • Yes, strongly to the right

0 0%
  • Not sure/other response

3 16.67%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    Seems like more or less a rearrangement of material, given that:

The public broadcaster plans to launch two new shows in 2018: a current affairs discussion show at 9pm presented by Stan Grant, and a half-hour news bulletin at 10.30pm.

CC Grandmaster
    I assume that Elliot won't be watching the chess report on tonight's Lateline.

Interesting to compare the ABC prime time current affairs with commercial counterpart.

For example last night 730's first story was on a FOI investigation into abuse of disabled kids in Australian schools. Looks like they uncovered quite a mess here, some of it quite disturbing to watch.

OTOH A Current Affar's first story was about a named commercial solar panel installer with a named battery maker, and how they can save you money by selling you solar panels and batteries.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Seems like more or less a rearrangement of material, given that:

The public broadcaster plans to launch two new shows in 2018: a current affairs discussion show at 9pm presented by Stan Grant, and a half-hour news bulletin at 10.30pm.
    Hey Kev I knew these guys and their mentality for more than 20 years.

Before SBS was moved to Fed Square from the old ballet school in the Art Centre we had lunch breaks etc almost on a daily basis with our ABC colleagues.
    They were situated just across the road. They still are.

They, apart from a couple or three well known personalities who earned good money on contractual basis were just public
    servants with a public servant's, boring, overworked and underpaid mentality.

We were the same before we started accepting ads and the mentality changed all together.

Our minor producers started earning more money than ABC's seasoned, established newsroom and sports/current affairs journos.

It's a great thing being able to exercise personal talent and ability in a creative way in your work environment and outside of it.

It helps you get your finger off your big public servant arsehole, get out of your cell, be a real part of the community (obtain an ABN on the way) help the
    Corporate guys with obtaining and producing ads and Bob's your uncle.

As things are ABC with approx. double ratings compared to SBS still has to survive on government's funding.

SBS with similar political agenda (leftard ideology, silly greenie crap sympathies and political correctness rubbish) as the ABC earns an average of AUS $50 million plus on an annual basis (that figure increases by approx. AUS $ 20 million in Football World Cup years has managed to have modern studios, latest model technologies and it is located in one of the most recognized popular centres in Aus.

SBS also faces harsh opposition from commercial channels and the difference of advertising allotted daily time ratio (from memory SBS 120 minutes / commercial 380 minutes) has a lot to do with
    the Special Broadcaster's relatively limited financial income.

ABC's rearrangement of material = reshuffle of existing personnel / programming ie same shit different colour. I hope they keep Grand Stand though, it's a great program! Kelli's a champ!

PS. when I have some time available I can give you the main reason why SBS is not achieving as much as its potential. One day it will. This opinion is not based upon my personal estimation but is a conclusion of discussions and exchange of opinions with past SBS executives. Unfortunately I dp not hold any such optimism for ABC.
    Last edited by ER; 10-10-2017 at 09:44 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    ABC and SBS are my two favourite networks. The only exception is if someone is showing cricket (usually 9 or 10). SBS has Eurovision, shows interesting movies (recently rescreened 2001 IIRC) and shows like Full Frontal with Samantha Bee which is OK.

ABC has shows like Media Watch and QandA which would likely not fit in a commercial model but perform an important function can be relied upon for more news and investigative current affairs shows than the commercial networks. Likewise ABC supports political satire like Chaser and Mad As Hell. They also screens endless reruns of British shows (like QI) which can be relied on to fill in 30 minutes.

After ABC and SBS my next most watched network is either 10 (for the Late Show) or the public access TV channel (44 in Adelaide) for the horror sci-fi re-runs and shows like Woodworking Masterclass. I also used to like Adelaide Hills Poker but that doesn't seem to be an ongoing concern.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

David Speers from Sky to take over from Barry Cassidy as host of Insiders. Excellent move in my view.
    meep meep

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    David Speers from Sky to take over from Barry Cassidy as host of Insiders. Excellent move in my view.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Indeed. The programme will gain many viewers: I’ll likely return, at least casually. Others will leave horrified muttering ‘Murdoch infiltration’. Certainly David won’t put up with nonsense previously permitted as balanced insight. Niki Sava and co. might as well pack up now.

Next stop, the happy clappers and that shameless clown Jones on Q&A.
    Ita and David between them will cause many rusted-ons to have a conniption while some other younger Aunty viewers may take a year to process what has happened. Some may even appreciate the cerebral realignment. Akin to leaving North Korea, perhaps.
    Last edited by Basil; 02-06-2019 at 11:21 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    Indeed. The programme will gain many viewers: I’ll likely return, at least casually. Others will leave horrified muttering ‘Murdoch infiltration’. Cetainly David won’t put up with nonsense previously permitted as balanced insight. Niki Sava and co. might as well pack up now.

Next stop, the happy clappers and that shameless clown Jones on Q&A.
    Ita and David between them will cause many rusted-ons to have a conniption while some other younger Aunty viewers may take a year to process what has happened.
    Now Bas, over a long period a television station can shape the nation, it's ethos etc.. Visit the Philippines where there is no such ABC station, where there is no station clamouring for a fair and just society - then you will beg for an ABC.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Now Bas, over a long period a television station can shape the nation, it's ethos etc.. Visit the Philippines where there is no such ABC station, where there is no station clamouring for a fair and just society - then you will beg for an ABC.
    I like the ABC. I think it does a good good despite its bias. One’s bias is a very hard thing to compensate for. Especially on matters politic.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

I like the ABC. I think it does a good good despite its bias. One’s bias is a very hard thing to compensate for. Especially on matters politic.
    But that bias in politics can be very important at certain junctures in a country's social, moral and economic development. Over many decades the ABC has steered Australia to examine many facets of politics, equality, women's lib and consumerism etc. This does not occur in the Philippines, where most TV is amoral, titillating distraction from real life and so TV does not contribute to lifting society. They do have good English newspapers but they much more expensive and could not be understood by the under-educated ordinary folk. They do have outstanding and brave journalist in print and radio but they get rubbed out at a world record rate. And as a result society there changes very slowly and suffering endures forever. Walk a mile in their shoes then you would realise that an ABC is a must.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

But that bias in politics can be very important at certain junctures in a country's social, moral and economic development. Over many decades the ABC has steered Australia to...
    You’re agreeing there is bias at the ABC? Carry on.

You’re agreeing there is bias at the ABC? Carry on.
    If bias is the correct terminology than yes. I would rather describe it as a morality.

If bias is the correct terminology than yes. I would rather describe it as a morality.
    Like this piece of work.

/threaddrift

Thread Information