View Poll Results: Is the ABC's coverage of political issues biased?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, strongly to the left

7 38.89%
  • Yes, slightly to the left

2 11.11%
  • No, it is balanced

6 33.33%
  • Yes, slightly to the right

0 0%
  • Yes, strongly to the right

0 0%
  • Not sure/other response

3 16.67%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    For all the ABC's constant bombardment of its audience with adverts for its own programs (intrusive blaring during credits especially annoying) I had never even noticed such a show existed.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    For all the ABC's constant bombardment of its audience with adverts for its own programs (intrusive blaring during credits especially annoying) I had never even noticed such a show existed.
    Adverts during credits are bad enough on commercial channels, where there is at least the justification that they need to avoid viewers skipping the ads between programs. On public broadcasting there is no excuse. And they can absolutely ruin the mood of a show.

It's ironic that she attracted so much publicity from right-wingers - if they had just kept quiet, nobody would have heard of her!

It was her ranting about Islam being THE (emphasis hers) most feminist religion that really made her (in) famous!

It was stupid statements like that, which made commentary such as this moron's in the video sound almost intelligent!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    It was her ranting about Islam being THE (emphasis hers) most feminist religion that really made her (in) famous!
    Yes I'm aware of that incident. Generally I think Q+A is a form of contrived political bearbaiting and I seldom take it, anything said on it, or any reaction to anything said on it seriously. But at least one other politically aware Chesschatter is known to be addicted to it!

For all the ABC's constant bombardment of its audience with adverts for its own programs (intrusive blaring during credits especially annoying).
    Another reason to let it stand on its own feet in fair competition with other channels, and earning money in the marketplace not government subsidies.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Another reason to let it stand on its own feet in fair competition with other channels, and earning money in the marketplace not government subsidies.
    If we sold it who would buy it? Ten is apparently on the verge of collapse.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    If we sold it who would buy it? Ten is apparently on the verge of collapse.
    Well, if no one wants to buy it, then it should be left to die.

“Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”—Ronald Reagan
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Well, if no one wants to buy it, then it should be left to die.

“Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”—Ronald Reagan
    Mmmkay thats not going to happen. If the FTA stations do start failing it would be more important to have a national broadcaster.
    meep meep

Radio wise, ABC has an excellent FC classics program and as a taxpayer I wouldn't mind contributing to its continuing.

Their AM service since they sacked the Goons Show and Tony Delroy's retirement I never listen to anymore!

Their TV programs boring, boring, boring! Topped it up with promoting types like Yassmin Abdel-Magied and big chunks of
    Al Jazeera (propaganda at its best) in its news service ABC is definitely biased and does not deserve a cent of my tax money!

Some times I watch their 24h news service and their main stream traditional news program particularly toward the Grand Stand end but for world news coverage I 'd rather SBS!

Having said all that, I generally don't watch TV for more than say a couple of hours every week!
    Last edited by ER; 28-05-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    Radio wise, ABC has an excellent FC classics program and as a taxpayer I wouldn't mind contributing to its continuing.

Their AM service since they sacked the Goons Show and Tony Delroy's retirement I never listen to anymore!

Their TV programs boring, boring, boring! Topped it up with promoting types like Yassmin Abdel-Magied and big chunks of
    Al Jazeera (propaganda at its best) in its news service ABC is definitely biased and does not deserve a cent of my tax money!

Some times I watch their 24h news service and their main stream traditional news program particularly toward the Grand Stand end but for world news coverage I 'd rather SBS!

Having said all that, I generally don't watch TV for more than say a couple of hours every week!
    A good example of why the ABC is so important - they cater for audiences that the commercial channels ignore. And while each subgroup may only watch a small part of its output, together they constitute a significant audience.

The only coverage I saw on television of the attacks on Coptic Christians in Egypt was on Al Jazeera (on the ABC), so I'm not sure how that fits with Elliot's claim that it's propaganda - unless it's pro-Christian propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    A good example of why the ABC is so important - they cater for audiences that the commercial channels ignore. And while each subgroup may only watch a small part of its output, together they constitute a significant audience.

The only coverage I saw on television of the attacks on Coptic Christians in Egypt was on Al Jazeera (on the ABC), so I'm not sure how that fits with Elliot's claim that it's propaganda - unless it's pro-Christian propaganda.
    For mine, ABC has better news and current affairs than any of the FTA channels. Mostly their night news, 730, Insiders etc.

Also the best kids programming.
    meep meep

Actually, although a fan of classical music, I don't see why other taxpayers should subsidize my taste. I can get classical music elsewhere anyway, especially online. The same goes for other subgroups. One Yes Minister episode, “The Middle-Class Rip-Off”, satirized how this sort of thing was subsidizing middle-class (and upper class) pleasures.

And that was in the early 1980s, where there was no online sources for just about anything you want to watch or listen to. In this day and age, even less do we need any broadcasting finded by money coerced from taxpayers.

CC Grandmaster
    Actually, although a fan of classical music, I don't see why other taxpayers should subsidize my taste. I can get classical music elsewhere anyway, especially online. The same goes for other subgroups. One Yes Minister episode, “The Middle-Class Rip-Off”, satirized how this sort of thing was subsidizing middle-class (and upper class) pleasures.
    That episode was mainly making a point about class, not subsidies. As long as the ABC caters to a broad audience, and is overwhelmingly supported by the Australian people, then taxpayer support can be justified. If the Australian people disagree, they can vote for Hanson!

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    The ABC is a-political .

The Right Wingers make it seem political by whinging everytime there is something on it they don't like, and they are quiet about everything else.

Again this Q? is being looked at from the wrong end. You could rephrase the question to be "Are the Right Wingers a bunch of Whingers?" and be asking the same question..
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

That episode was mainly making a point about class, not subsidies.
    It was actually. It was illustrating an aspect of public choice theory that Milton Friedman called "Director's Law" after his brother-in-law, economist Aaron Director: the bulk of public programs are designed primarily to benefit the middle classes but are financed by taxes paid primarily by the upper and lower classes. That's because of their numbers, motivation, reasonable amount of wealth, and connections, so they are best able to hijack the coercive power of the state.

As long as the ABC caters to a broad audience, and is overwhelmingly supported by the Australian people, then taxpayer support can be justified.
    If three people are in a room, one has $100 and the other two vote to take that and share evenly among the three, it's still wrong.

In this day of easy access to almost any program you want, there is even less justification for taxpayer-funded broadcasting.

Thread Information