View Poll Results: Is the ABC's coverage of political issues biased?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, strongly to the left

7 38.89%
  • Yes, slightly to the left

2 11.11%
  • No, it is balanced

6 33.33%
  • Yes, slightly to the right

0 0%
  • Yes, strongly to the right

0 0%
  • Not sure/other response

3 16.67%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    There seems to be a pattern emerging
    [INDENT]
    Myself and others (in the centre)...
    Oh dear God, if I were drinking coffee it would have come straight back up my nose!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    Oh dear God, if I were drinking coffee it would have come straight back up my nose!
    Do you normally drink coffee down your nose?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Q&A IMO is slightly left. 730 seems pretty balanced. Broader question Re ABC, I'm not too sure as I only really watch those 2 shows, and not regularly anyway.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Q&A IMO is slightly left. 730 seems pretty balanced. Broader question Re ABC, I'm not too sure as I only really watch those 2 shows, and not regularly anyway.
    Q&A is more than slightly left. But I have decided it is not worth watching. Anyway, I am usually playing chess on Monday nights. Not interested enough to search out the replays.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    Pitch Battle, the story of the Palestinian football team's road to the Asian Cup, was screened by ABC as a Foreign Corespondent segment
    http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2015/s4216421.htm
    Their slogan was "we are human beings and can play football too"! Mind you they couldn't play football to save their lives!
    I must admit ABC promotes their propaganda though!
    Last edited by ER; 07-07-2015 at 02:54 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    Their slogan was "we are human beings and can play football too"! Mind you they couldn't play football to save their lives!
    I must admit ABC promotes their propaganda though!
    But one quotable quote came out of that show, what was it?
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I've gone the "other response" option because my view is very similar to this:

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    I think the ABC News, 7:30, Lateline and other core news/current affairs programs are remarkably well centred and have generally high credibility. But I think Q+A is somewhat left-leaning despite some attempts at balance.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I have a write-up of some more polling about the ABC out this week (Essential and the Australia Institute ReachTEL) in a part of my weekly polling roundup:

http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/2...racing-to.html

I agree with Kevin and roadrunner.

The only distinct haven for left leaning folks at the ABC used to be triple j radio. (I doubt whether this has changed).

Q+A appears to be slightly left leaning.

I think lateline and the 7:30 report both do a reasonable job in covering both sides of politics without bias.

For me there is definitely a slight overall bias towards the left.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

So you've concluded that the ABC is extremely left-wing based on less than 1% of the ABC's weekly programs? And rejected the polling, all of which show the opposite? That seems logical
    Of course: the charge of bias applies to the programs where it matters. If people watch ABC mainly for Dr Who and Keeping Up Appearances, etc., and so their kids can watch The Octonauts and The Jungle Book, then of course they won't think it's biased. Similarly, people who just read the sports and TV sections of a newspaper won't see bias, but what matters is the editorial section and the selection of political articles.

For what it's worth, I actually agree with you that there should have been another panellist opposing gay marriage
    That's something at least.

It's notable that you and Finn, two of ChessChat's most fanatically leftist members, think that the ABC is not biased. But you probably would say that if it happened to agree with you most of the time in its political content. A better test would be if you and Finn found that ABC's political content was to the right of your (which is not hard) as much as to the left.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Of course: the charge of bias applies to the programs where it matters. If people watch ABC mainly for Dr Who and Keeping Up Appearances, etc., and so their kids can watch The Octonauts and The Jungle Book, then of course they won't think it's biased. Similarly, people who just read the sports and TV sections of a newspaper won't see bias, but what matters is the editorial section and the selection of political articles.
    But if they only watch Peppa Pig, they would obviously tick the "Don't Know" box on the poll! You're assuming that they would tell pollsters that the ABC is unbiased when they hardly watch it. And you have provided zero evidence for this claim.

It's notable that you and Finn, two of ChessChat's most fanatically leftist members, think that the ABC is not biased. But you probably would say that if it happened to agree with you most of the time in its political content. A better test would be if you and Finn found that ABC's political content was to the right of your (which is not hard) as much as to the left.
    Finn and myself agree with the overwhelming majority of the Australian people on this issue, so our position is in the centre - it's your position that's to the right of most Australians!

the overwhelming majority of the Australian people on this issue ...
    WoW!!! I didn't know that ABC had so many viewers!!!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    WoW!!! I didn't know that ABC had so many viewers!!!
    You might be surprised. The weekly 'reach' of ABC television (the percentage of people who have watched ABC television each week) is about 60%. And that doesn't include digital and radio services.

Basing a funding decision on the perceived bias of 1% of the ABC's output (Q&A) (as Capablanca-Fan seems to be arguing) is just silly. Even if you believe that all of the ABC's news and current affairs is biased, that is still only about 33%, if you consider only ABC1, or much less if you include all ABC television channels.

...It's notable that you and Finn, two of ChessChat's most fanatically leftist members, think that the ABC is not biased. But you probably would say that if it happened to agree with you most of the time in its political content. A better test would be if you and Finn found that ABC's political content was to the right of your (which is not hard) as much as to the left.
    Much of the ABC's coverage does favour the right (e.g. National Press Club luncheons, Parliamentary Question Time, and currently The Killing Season series and the unions royal commission) but that really doesn't bother me at all. I expect to see both sides on ABC.

Tony Abbott's attempt to manage ABC content is largely damage control. Most politicians do not fare well when making guest appearances. More so on Q & A, which is TV entertainment rather than serious debate.

You might be surprised. The weekly 'reach' of ABC television (the percentage of people who have watched ABC television each week) is about 60%. And that doesn't include digital and radio services.

Basing a funding decision on the perceived bias of 1% of the ABC's output (Q&A) (as Capablanca-Fan seems to be arguing) is just silly. Even if you believe that all of the ABC's news and current affairs is biased, that is still only about 33%, if you consider only ABC1, or much less if you include all ABC television channels.
    never thought of that, thanks!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information