View Poll Results: Is the ABC's coverage of political issues biased?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, strongly to the left

7 38.89%
  • Yes, slightly to the left

2 11.11%
  • No, it is balanced

6 33.33%
  • Yes, slightly to the right

0 0%
  • Yes, strongly to the right

0 0%
  • Not sure/other response

3 16.67%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Is the ABC biased?

We need an urgent enquiry into the ABC. Otoh, the economy, housing affordability, and climate change - she'll be right mate.
    meep meep

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)

For a change, a Liberal senator acts like one instead of Labor-Lite.

Liberal senator James McGrath makes radical call for GST rise, privatisation of 'left-biased' ABC
    James Massola, SMH, 16 July 2014

He vowed to argue for lower regulation and smaller government as he took aim at the federal health and education departments, which had thousands of staff but had no patients, ran no schools and did not teach students.

"Bureaucracies have become more bloated, more process-driven and more out of touch," he said.

"The states run hospitals and schools - why do we need to be involved? I'm calling for the abolition of the federal departments of health and education, and for universities to be run at a state level."

Liberal senator James McGrath is congratulated by fellow Liberal senator Cory Bernardi after delivering his first speech in the Senate.

Turning to the ABC, Senator McGrath said he had grown up listening to the ABC in country Queensland but that the broadcaster had "left people like me and my constituents behind".

"I want to support the ABC. I like the ABC.

"Yet while it continues to represent only inner-city leftist views, and funded by our taxes, it is in danger of losing its social licence to operate.

"I'm calling for a review of the charter of the ABC and if they fail to make inroads to restore balance then the ABC should be sold and replaced by a regional and rural broadcasting service."

Youth broadcaster Triple J should be sold immediately, he added.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Liberal senator James McGrath makes radical call for GST rise, privatisation of 'left-biased' ABC
    James Massola, SMH, 16 July 2014 … He vowed to argue for lower regulation and smaller government ...
    Ummm ... This report is almost a year old. Since then, the Abbott government has massively increased spending, and presumably McGrath has supported every single increase

Angry ABC gives rape-supporter a platform. They think raping conservative women is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Ummm ... This report is almost a year old. Since then, the Abbott government has massively increased spending, and presumably McGrath has supported every single increase
    Well, obviously, it was about maiden speech by a newly elected Senator. A shame that Abbott has put the Labor-Lite Turnbull in charge of the ABC, and seems incapable of promoting the freedom that he was elected to promote. But it seemed appropriate given that the ABC allowed a terrorist lover and misogynist, Zaky Mallah, a platform to ambush a Liberal MP. Earlier, he had tweeted “Australia has two decent whores Rita Panihi and Miranda Divine [sic] Both need to be gangbanged on the Sunrise desk.” Political scientist Jennifer Oriel writes in Jihadis and leftists, united in misogyny, The Australian, 25 June 2015:

I was invited to appear as a panellist on the ABC’s political talk show Q&A this month.

This week, Q&A featured a self-described Muslim activist who tweeted about gang-raping female columnists in January and pleaded guilty to threatening to kill an ASIO officer.

Why would I want to appear on Q&A following such an outrage against women and our nation’s protective forces?

The man who tweeted the idea of gang-raping female journalists also has expressed support for an Islamic caliphate. I consider him such an inferior example of manhood that I would prefer not to stain the page with his name, but here it is for the record: Zaky Mallah.

No woman should have to fear for her bodily safety in Australia when she exercises her democratic right to free speech — especially on our public broadcaster. And yet, that is precisely what I now feel about the prospect of appearing on Q&A.

There are serious questions which must be answered about the modern Left and its indulgence of Islamist terrorism and misogyny. We might begin by asking why the taxpayer-funded ABC indulged a man who promoted the idea of gang-raping female columnists.

Is it because the targeted columnists, Miranda Devine and Rita Panahi, are viewed as politically conservative and therefore deserved victims by Islamists and their left-wing allies in the West? Does the Left believe dissident women are asking for it?

As a female political commentator who leans conservative, my right to free speech and bodily safety may not mean much to the ABC. But I did not spend my formative years fighting for women’s rights in the 20th century only to submit to an Islamist-Left alliance of misogyny in the 21st.

I expect a public apology from the ABC for its outrage against women, female columnists and the basic security of Australians.

Until such an apology is given, I will not consent to appear on Q&A.

PB of course loves the ABC because it pushes his unadulterated leftism. But if PB wants leftist agitprop, let him pay for it himself, rather than forcing every Aussie taxpayer to do so.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 27-06-2015 at 03:29 AM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    Well, obviously, it was about maiden speech by a newly elected Senator.
    A new elected Senator who has done exactly the opposite of what he said that he would do - I was just highlighting his hypocrisy.

A shame that Abbott has put the Labor-Lite Turnbull in charge of the ABC, and seems incapable of promoting the freedom that he was elected to promote.
    Are you including freedom of speech? Because removing 18C would allow exactly what Jennifer Oriel is complaining about.

And if we're talking about misogyny and violence on the ABC:
    STEVE CIOBO: ... So I think that if anybody had the opportunity to slit Julia Gillard's throat ... .

CC Grandmaster
    PB of course loves the ABC because it pushes his unadulterated leftism. But if PB wants leftist agitprop, let him pay for it himself, rather than forcing every Aussie taxpayer to do so.
    The overwhelming majority of Australians (approx. 80%) believe the ABC is unbiased. C-F's belief that it is "unadulterated leftism" is a good indication of how far right he actually is!

Regarding Mallah, it's worth noting that without the hysterical reaction from Abbott and the Murdoch press, he would still be a nobody.

What was wrong with Mallah appearing, doesn't he have freedom of speech? Next they will take a fit if David Hicks turns up embarrassing ministers.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    The overwhelming majority of Australians (approx. 80%) believe the ABC is unbiased.
    Also see this from AFR mentioning JWS polling showing that concern about ABC bias as a political issue just about does not exist:

http://www.afr.com/news/politics/nat...ghwdqe?stb=twt

This impulse to constantly culture-war to butter up the base is one of this government's big problems. Voters outside the base either hate it or at best see it as a pointless waste of time.

CC Grandmaster
    ... But it seemed appropriate given that the ABC allowed a terrorist lover and misogynist, Zaky Mallah, a platform to ambush a Liberal MP. Earlier, he had tweeted ... [Offensive tweet removed]. Political scientist Jennifer Oriel writes in Jihadis and leftists, united in misogyny, The Australian, 25 June 2015:
    I was invited to appear as a panellist on the ABC’s political talk show Q&A this month. This week, Q&A featured a self-described Muslim activist who tweeted about gang-raping female columnists in January and pleaded guilty to threatening to kill an ASIO officer.
    The government inquiry has found that the ABC did not know about this tweet when they allowed him to be a member of the audience:
    The ABC’s Q&A program did several background checks on Zaky Mallah before determining he was suitable to ask a question live-to-air but missed his offensive tweets, a Department of Communications report has said.
    So all the accusations of ABC (and leftist) misogyny, based on the tweet, are unfounded. I wonder if there will be any apologies for these incorrect accusations!?

Mallah had already been a guest on numerous commercial media programs, of course, and had even written an article for the Australian. But Capablanca-Fan and Oriel didn't care about those appearances.

Interestingly, the boycott by various right-wingers of the following show led to a significant increase in Q&A's audience - making it possibly the most pointless boycott in recent history!

The overwhelming majority of Australians (approx. 80%) believe the ABC is unbiased. C-F's belief that it is "unadulterated leftism" is a good indication of how far right he actually is!
    Wow, a poll from an über-left hackfest like Crikey? Like PB, they think that anyone to the right of the Marxist Red-Greens is "right". Fine, delude yourselves if you want, but pay for it out of your own pockets! Meanwhile:

Piers Akerman: This Q of fools can kiss my A
    THE DAILY TELEGRAPH, 3 July 2015

TWO weeks ago, I accepted an invitation to appear on next Monday’s Q&A program. I have now withdrawn that acceptance. Three days after agreeing to join the Q&A panel it became shockingly evident that the show’s presenter Tony Jones and his staff had intentionally handed a soapbox to a disgusting and delusional misogynistic convicted criminal in a bald-faced stunt that was solely designed to embarrass the Abbott government.

The following morning, head of television Richard Finlayson said the program “did in fact make an error in judgment” in permitting Zaky Mallah to join the audience and ask a question.

Tellingly, Finlayson made absolutely no mention of the revolting remarks Mallah had earlier posted on Twitter about gang-banging women journalists — utterly repugnant remarks he was to amplify in the following days.

Three days after that initial acknowledgment of the “error in judgment”, the ABC’s CEO and editor-in-chief Mark Scott, offered a shabby justification for Mallah’s presence.

Acknowledging the ABC is independent of government, Turnbull pointed out “but it has a higher duty of objectivity that the rest of the media does not. They can be as opinionated as they like.

“And so, the ABC gets over a billion dollars a year from the taxpayer and it’s got a very heavy obligation to deliver that accurate and impartial coverage and do it with the dignity and responsibility that befits our national broadcaster.”

CC Grandmaster
    Wow, a poll from an über-left hackfest like Crikey? Like PB, they think that anyone to the right of the Marxist Red-Greens is "right". Fine, delude yourselves if you want, but pay for it out of your own pockets!
    Once again, you have no substantial response, but simply chose to make an ad hominem attack - which is a logical fallacy, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Piers Akerman via Capablanca-Fan View Post
    ...TWO weeks ago, I accepted an invitation to appear on next Monday’s Q&A program. I have now withdrawn that acceptance. Three days after agreeing to join the Q&A panel it became shockingly evident that the show’s presenter Tony Jones and his staff had intentionally handed a soapbox to a disgusting and delusional misogynistic convicted criminal in a bald-faced stunt that was solely designed to embarrass the Abbott government. …
    I notice you've quoted Akerman saying that Q&A intentionally allowed misogynist Mallah to appear, even though the government report found that they were unaware of his tweet. Akerman was writing before the report's finding were released; you have no excuse for repeating this incorrect claim.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Wow, a poll from an über-left hackfest like Crikey?
    No; check the link more carefully. Crikey is reporting on the results of a Newspoll, although it was one commissioned by the ABC. Crikey is not reporting on its own commissioned polling there, let alone on a poll it conducted itself (the source it would commission polling through would likely be Essential).

Some other polling: a Taverner poll in 2013 commissioned by the Australian found less than 20% considered the ABC's coverage of any party to be biased in a consistent direction.

Nielsen: 59% believe it is unbiased, 31% believe it is biased. 67% thought the ABC was more balanced than commercial TV and only 15% thought commercial TV was more balanced.

Once again, you have no substantial response,
    Clearly wasted on you, since I'd already shown that Fred Nile on his own against a hostile panel, moderator, and audience should have been one good clue of extreme leftism.

I notice you've quoted Akerman saying that Q&A intentionally allowed misogynist Mallah to appear, even though the government report found that they were unaware of his tweet. Akerman was writing before the report's finding were released; you have no excuse for repeating this incorrect claim.
    Yeah, sure. They just wanted to embarrass the government with a known Islamofascist and didn't give a stuff.

CC Grandmaster
    Clearly wasted on you, since I'd already shown that Fred Nile on his own against a hostile panel, moderator, and audience should have been one good clue of extreme leftism.
    So you've concluded that the ABC is extremely left-wing based on less than 1% of the ABC's weekly programs? And rejected the polling, all of which show the opposite? That seems logical

For what it's worth, I actually agree with you that there should have been another panellist opposing gay marriage - apart from anything else, having Fred Nile as the (only) opposition is hugely beneficial for gay marriage supporters However, one out of six opposing is not significantly unrepresentative of the general population.

Yeah, sure. They just wanted to embarrass the government with a known Islamofascist and didn't give a stuff.
    Except that they did carry out background checks on Mallah. Apparently that tweet was only publicised after his appearance on Q&A.

I'm not sure what point you're making about 'Islamofascism'. As has been pointed out repeatedly, if Mallah was a current threat to society, then the government should have taken action against him. Otherwise, there is no reason not to have him ask a question on a program. If that is an 'embarrassment' to the government, then that is the government's problem.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    No; check the link more carefully. Crikey is reporting on the results of a Newspoll, although it was one commissioned by the ABC. Crikey is not reporting on its own commissioned polling there, let alone on a poll it conducted itself (the source it would commission polling through would likely be Essential). ...
    Thanks for the details of the extra polling. My favourite is the recent Essential poll on the most trusted media journalists and commentators: Tony Jones (host of Q&A) is =2nd on 51%, well ahead of Bolt (38%) and Jones (29%).

Thread Information