View Poll Results: Is the ABC's coverage of political issues biased?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, strongly to the left

7 38.89%
  • Yes, slightly to the left

2 11.11%
  • No, it is balanced

6 33.33%
  • Yes, slightly to the right

0 0%
  • Yes, strongly to the right

0 0%
  • Not sure/other response

3 16.67%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    You might be surprised. The weekly 'reach' of ABC television (the percentage of people who have watched ABC television each week) is about 60%. And that doesn't include digital and radio services.

Basing a funding decision on the perceived bias of 1% of the ABC's output (Q&A) (as Capablanca-Fan seems to be arguing) is just silly. Even if you believe that all of the ABC's news and current affairs is biased, that is still only about 33%, if you consider only ABC1, or much less if you include all ABC television channels.
    There might have been a case for funding when there was very little alternative, but not now with a plethora of public TV channels, cable, online.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    There might have been a case for funding when there was very little alternative, but not now with a plethora of public TV channels, cable, online.
    Which is a very good reason why now, more than ever, we need a reliable independent broadcaster.

CC Grandmaster
    This is the strongest argument against funding the ABC - although it's probably an even better argument against the existence of SBS. But with all the other non-essential activities government funds, I agree with Finn that we can afford to have a reliable independent broadcaster.

Interestingly I saw your hero Leyonjhelm on the ABC's Checkout, promoting government regulation (in this case, the 'Do-Not-Call' service)!

You might be surprised. The weekly 'reach' of ABC television (the percentage of people who have watched ABC television each week) is about 60%. And that doesn't include digital and radio services...
    Not sure how objective oztam is but they present a very different story to your figures above. http://www.oztam.com.au/Archives.aspx?Year=2015
    Attachment 2936

The above list is from one of the latest Australian channel performances. For full list of channels and performances check the list on the link.

Really disappointing is the performance of ABC's much advertised 24 hour news service.

I stopped watching it since they included Al Jazeera programs (twice a day mind you) as well as their pointless and boring repetitions.

Grandstand is also good sports TV (a bit biased toward NRL but I don't mind since I know the NSW sporting scene well)!

The reason I haven't voted in the poll is that I am not really sure where they stand politically (leanings to left/right) but I am really impressed with the quality of their FM radio station services mainly music and art. I listen to them whenever I can.

I also enjoy their radio sport programs, particularly the cricket broadcasts!

Another big disappointment was the axing of The Goons!
    Last edited by ER; 12-07-2015 at 02:32 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Banned Hydra
    ... rather than forcing every Aussie taxpayer to do so.
    I wish I didn't have to undirectly pay for channel 7, 9, 10 shows I don't like of watch, by paying higher prises for the goods and services their advertises change me at the shop.

There is no practicle difference between:
    Paying for the ABC via the government taking taxes or
    Paying for commercial stations via higher prises at he shop.

The difference it that virtually only get low brow programs on the commercial channels while the ABC is highly educational and intelligent in many programs.

But as it is not necessary for survival of the species for all humans to be above average intelligent then we have not evolved in that manner. So a majority are satisfied with low brow programs and newspapers and so are appealed to and exploited by the profit and power seekers.
    Last edited by antichrist; 12-07-2015 at 07:35 PM. Reason: unwarranted religious analogy
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    Not sure how objective oztam is but they present a very different story to your figures above.
    That's because they're not measuring the same thing. My number is the percentage of people who have watched the ABC each week; yours is the percentage of the viewing audience that the ABC has. For example, assume that 10% of the population is watching one program on the ABC, but a different 10% watches the next program, then the ABC's 'share' (your number) is only 10%, but the 'reach' (my number) is 20%.

Banned Hydra
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    the ABC is highly educational and intelligent in many programs.
    Some shows are good some are awfull

a majority are satisfied with low brow programs and newspapers and so are appealed to and exploited by the profit and power seekers.
    Thay are the people need ABC most .

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    Really disappointing is the performance of ABC's much advertised 24 hour news service. I stopped watching it since they included Al Jazeera programs (twice a day mind you) as well as their pointless and boring repetitions.
    I find Aljazeera News refreshing - where else do you get on-the-ground news from third-world countries as it's happening.
    The News24 repetitions are irritating, but I'll allow that it would be hard to get hold of continuously breaking news.

...Another big disappointment was the axing of The Goons!
    sigh... Still, they have to come back sometime. Nothing that priceless can be lost forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    I find Aljazeera News refreshing - where else do you get on-the-ground news from third-world countries as it's happening.
    The News24 repetitions are irritating, but I'll allow that it would be hard to get hold of continuously breaking news.

sigh... Still, they have to come back sometime. Nothing that priceless can be lost forever.
    OZXXXXX was the only place where the cemetery was above the ground
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    I'm more of a Hancock fan myself, but agree completely! The Goon Show is exactly the sort of minority interest that the ABC should be catering for.

However, as always, the internet is your friend. The website here seems to have a complete collection, available for listening and free 'download'. Although the download doesn't seem to work, which is probably a good thing, as the episodes would almost certainly be still under copyright to the BBC.

... The website here seems to have a complete collection, available for listening and free 'download'. Although the download doesn't seem to work, which is probably a good thing, as the episodes would almost certainly be still under copyright to the BBC.
    There was always a rumour that the Goons were going to be axed. ABC had tried to do it some years ago but the public reaction stopped them. Finally the threat became a reality. Anyway, due to library borrowing and direct radio recordings, I managed to obtain the whole Goons collection in audio cassettes. When I have time I will start converting to USB. I think it's OK to listen to them that way but waking up at 5:30 AM to listen and record the programs was pure magic!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I wish I didn't have to undirectly pay for channel 7, 9, 10 shows I don't like of watch, by paying higher prises for the goods and services their advertises change me at the shop.

There is no practicle difference between:
    Paying for the ABC via the government taking taxes or
    Paying for commercial stations via higher prises at he shop.
    Is that for real? Is it really to hard to understand the key difference? No one forces you to buy anything from their advertizers, but you are forced to pay for the ABC.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Is that for real? Is it really to hard to understand the key difference? No one forces you to buy anything from their advertizers, but you are forced to pay for the ABC.
    That's only true for luxury items, not for essentials which we have to buy anyway. For example all of us who drive have to buy petrol. Petrol is petrol - it's exactly the same product no matter which company's name is on the bowser - BP, Caltex, Shell, whatever. Yet oil companies spend squillions advertising their brands, which at the end of the line is paid for by us. That's capitalism at work.

As a taxpayer, there are lots of government initiatives I am forced to help fund whether I agree with them or not. That's democracy at work.

We have to pay for silly school chaplains when professional counsellors are needed but not funded for.

Thread Information