Computer simulations of playing styles (sf cheating)

Quote Originally Posted by ludwigra View Post
    Another possible way to attempt a decision concerning the probability of cheating is coming up with "Player Profile" or style of play based on many past games. I think there is some work happening on this front (one website trying this is [U]http://chess-db.com/public/index.jsp).
    I found a Kevin Bonham page, it has the option to play a computer simulation of the chosen chess player.

http://chess-db.com/public/pinfo.jsp?id=3205649
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 01-07-2015 at 05:48 PM. Reason: corrected quote tags
    Luck has the peculiar habit of favouring those who don't rely on it!-Anonymous
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small mind discuss people.-Anonymous
    He who dares, wins.-SAS motto

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James Peirce View Post
    I found a Kevin Bonham page, it has the option to play a computer simulation of the chosen chess player.

http://chess-db.com/public/pinfo.jsp?id=3205649
    Classic! It's based exclusively on my games from two tournaments both over 10 years ago, and it's likely to assume its opponent is Shannon Oliver since my draw against her from Mt Buller appears twice in its database.

It's a disgraceful imitation of me too - it loses with black in the French Closed Tarrasch!

CC International Master
    I'd be impressed to see a computer distinguish stylistic differences at all, beyond the obvious, and much more to see it identify those from cheating instead of from the tournament position, the player's knowledge of the opponent, their level of computer preparation, knowledge of opening or endgame theory, state of health, mood, other events in their life, etc.

I recall reading a comment, I think by Bent Larsen, that the importance of style is somewhat exaggerated. When for instance an annotator notes "This move is typical of Karpov's style" it would be more accurate to say "This is the best move and any strong player would choose it."

I played another game against Fake-KB (giving it white) and it played the Exchange against my French and beat me! Which was quite amusing since I'd never play e4 against myself.

Good grief, there is also a fake Jonathan D Sarfati page on that site, which manages to get my age wrong too.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I played another game against Fake-KB (giving it white) and it played the Exchange against my French and beat me! Which was quite amusing since I'd never play e4 against myself.
    Perhaps going by this game, or this one where you played the exchange.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 02-07-2015 at 02:58 AM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Yes I'd forgotten the Tan game which is one of only five rated games where I played the exchange (all the others being several years before). It's a memorable example of why playing the exchange against a better player doesn't work.

Chessmaster for Playstation used to have simulated GMs, although it was only capable of playing at about 2400 level (or so it claimed.) For some reason its impersonation of Karpov was particularly weak and I would usually beat it.

Thread Information