Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Marcus Porter 1997-2015

17 year old Brisbane player Marcus Porter was tragically killed in a car accident yesterday, at around 12:40 am. (6/6/15)

Marcus was much loved by the Brisbane chess community as a fun-loving, charming and witty individual who always knew what to say. While he didn't travel interstate a great deal, some non-Brisbane forum goers may remember him from the Australian Open and Doeberl Cup this year.

He will be undoubtedly be sorely missed by all those who knew him. RIP.

CC Candidate Master Michael_D'Arcy's Avatar
    This is really sad. Marcus's enthusiasm for chess and life was infectious, and he brought a lot of enjoyment to the tournaments he played. I know that a lot of younger junior players really looked up to him as he was a lot of fun to play and analyse with. He had a remarkable ability to brighten a room.

My condolences to Marcus's family and close friends. I know I will join a long list of chess players who will miss him considerably.

Yes very sad.

RIP.

Very sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Rookie
    My son has been coached by Marcus for just over 12 months, and as we have gotten to know him we all found him to be such a nice, genuine young man. He was multi-talented and just a pleasure to be around. He will be sorely missed by our family and we feel numb this morning and our hearts go out to Anita, Stephen and the rest of his family. RIP Marcus, you will be missed.

CC Candidate Master
    Such a tragedy feel for his family and friends. The chess community has been hit so hard of late it's just so sad. RIP Marcus

CC Grandmaster
    That is tragic news. I only knew Marcus briefly, but he was far too young and enthusiastic to die so soon. RIP.

CC Candidate Master
    http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...en-driver-dies

Here's a quick report. The part about Marcus ends 55 seconds in.

I'm still in Shock. R.I.P Mate

CC Rookie
    Marcus was a great friend was a great friend, and will be sorely missed by the Queensland Chess, for his funny and his outgoing attitude to life. R.I.P Marcus Porter 1997-2015
    Last edited by HenryS-J; 07-06-2015 at 08:34 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Would it be possible to make a memorial tournament in honour of him? Where you have to play the grob for fun. He would have loved that.

CC Rookie
    I have talked to Mark Stokes and it is likely that will be the case

CC Candidate Master
    Great

CC FIDE Master
    Rest in Peace Marcus! I just loved playing chess games against you! Just seeing my name was paired against you brought a smile to my face! I knew our game would be FUN, no matter who won the game and it was usually you! You had a love of life and a sense of fun that were out there for all to see, beanie on or off! I might even try playing The Grob one day but I doubt I could ever do it like you. Everyone in the chess community is still stunned by this saddest of sad news of your passing at just 17 years of age.Your chess career was about to boom, as all those who witnessed your performance in the Under 2000 Section of this year's Doeberl Cup in Canberra will attest to. You are now gone, but we will never forget you! Rest in Peace Marcus Porter!

CC Rookie
    Marcus' funeral is being held at 11am, Friday June 12, at the Champagnat Centre, Marist College Ashgrove. After speaking with Marcus' Mum, Anita, I know it would mean a lot to her and her family if the Chess community was well represented. Full details can be found here: http://www.marash.qld.edu.au/our-col...us-porter.html

CC Rookie
    There is no doubt that I can speak on behalf of most ppeople, but Marcus was one of the most genuine guys you could meet. He was one of those guys who could light up a room. He did so well at the Doeberl Cup and this is no mean feat! I'll always miss that beanie, one of the most iconic things about him. I'll always remember the last game we played, where I got up a minor piece and lost to illegal move. Haha, good timees.The last few times I met up with him were both at chess events. The first being the Tin Cup 2015, where in he bought in those glasses and they were goofy, yet awesome glasses.

The second was at the Nudgee College Chess Camp, which seemed like a fair while ago. He was passed out on a couch haha. He must've been really tired. If I had knew that that was pretty much the last time I saw him, I would've made the most of it.

He was always a really good coach and seeing him pass away like that will make me miss it heaps.

As to the funeral, I will be there. I've rescheduled exams in order to attend.

RIP Marcus. You'll be missed by so many. A tragic loss to one of the most happy and carefree souls that knew no worries.

1997-2015.
    Last edited by Itrin2; 10-06-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Thread Information